OEM Recovery Disk

Options
smijen
smijen Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have an Acer Nitro AN515-41 Laptop. Following a windows 10 update, I ran into an issue whereby windows would not detect switchable graphics. The only way I could access the laptop was to disable the AMD graphics card and revert to the windows basic display driver.

I have since made dozens of attempts to repair the system, including "fresh" builds, various windows 10 versions (back to 1607), orignal drivers etc.

Its fair to say the laptop is in a mess now, and most likely beyond recovery. Is there a way to download an OEM hard drive image which would restore the laptop to the factory configuration (i.e. first time use)?. (And yes I was stupid enough to delete the recovery partition)

Serial Number: NHQ2UEK001725033BA3400

Answers

• Redfan
    Redfan Member Posts: 65 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    you didn't make a safe drive to boot windows on a usb in case things went south? that's why theres system restore... 1809 has no problems other than the driver really needs to be adrenaline for stuff to pick it up but crimson is stable I wouldn't know which of the adrenaline combos would be best for vega 8 and rx560x, better leave it it acer to figure that out
  • Redfan
    Redfan Member Posts: 65 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    you also have 90 days software warranty where shipping is incuded to Acer for free, maybe take advantage of that 90 days before you have to pay extra for shipping
  • smijen
    smijen Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    No refdan I didn't make a safe drive, normally would but had the recovery partition. Accidentally overwrite it during the first restore. I have tried 1809 and adrenaline, but still the same issue. 

When I plug the laptop in, the screen goes fuzzy, then blank. If I remote into the machine (teamviewer) I can see in the display settings that windows is still using the R7, despite AMD settings detecting the RX550.

I have the laptop itself working by using the Microsoft display driver, but obviously this is not what I want.