"No bootable Device"(Acer Aspire 3)

Options
Xplode89
Xplode89 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello guys, I'm new to the community, glad to be hear. I've encountered a problem after I purchased an Acer Aspire 3 yesterday. It came with an installed Linux Endless OS and since I was planning to use Windows 10 I needed to remove the previous OS. I formatted the hard drive thru command prompt, since I'm not much familiar with Linux plus it rejected all the software I tried to download on it, that wasn't from the LInux Store ( also I didn't want to install a fresh copy of Windows over Linux ) After I made a bootable Windows 10 flash drive I restarted the laptop and recieved a "no bootable device" message. The hard drive isn't recognized in the boot section in the bios menu, however it recognizes the usb. When I try to boot via the usb drive I recieve the message "Default boot device missing or boot failed. Insert recovery media and hit any key..."  So can someone give me some info on how to fix this issue? Thank you!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options
    What's your full ACER model number A31x-xx? Is HDD recognized in BIOS info tab? Is BIOS in UEFI or Legacy mode? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Xplode89

Tinkerer

Options
    The model is A315-31-C25U and as I said the hdd isn't recognized in the bios, however that wasn't the case before the format. There are no options for UEFI or Legacy modes as well.
  • JackE
    Options
    If the HDD or SSD isn't listed in the BIOS INFO tab (not the BOOT tab), then it's probably disconnected. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Xplode89

Tinkerer

Options
    Yes, I thought it might be a similar problem, but it's weird because it worked normally before I formatted it. What do you mean exactly by jack e/nj?
  • Xplode89

Tinkerer

edited December 2018
    Options
    Actually I just double checked and it is listed in the BIOS info section under "HDD 0" it's just missing in the boot menu ( actually no possible options in there besides "secure boot: enabled", which is permament ) This doesn't help with the issue though.
  • JackE
    Options
    Jack E/NJ is my name and I live in New Jersey NJ in the USA.

If your drive is recognized in the BIOS INFO tab, then it's probably OK. It's not listed in the BOOT tab because it no longer bootable since you formatted it. The Windows installation USB must be GPT partitioned, not MBR partitioned. HDD0 must also be GPT partitioned, not MBR partitioned. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Xplode89

Tinkerer

Options
    My Windows usb is GPT partinioned, but I have no idea about the HDD though, at this moment I can't do any settings to it... any ideas how can I proceed?
  • Xplode89

Tinkerer

Options
    Also, what's the deal with this "recovery media" ? I didn't get a clear idea about it while reading online?
  • JackE
    Options
    Recovery media only apply to ACER-flavored factory Win10 installations sold in US and CAN, not endless. I'm not sure if endless had a hidden recovery partition but you can check this by entering the BIOS menu. On the Main tab enable the F12 boot and D2D options. You might also want to set a supervisor password in the Security tab. Save settings and exit. Then re-enter the BIOS menu with the supervisor password and you might be able to disable secure boot. Exit BIOS menu again. Turn the machine off. Insert the Win10 installation stick. Then turn the machine back on and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. A recovery screen ***might***  appear to re-install endless. If it doesn't, turn the machine back off again. Then turn it back on and see if the Win10 stick will now boot. If it doesn't, turn it back off once again. Then turn it back on and immediately tap the F2 key to re-enter the BIOS. Does the Win10 boot installation USB stick now show up in the boot menu ? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Xplode89

Tinkerer

edited December 2018
    Options

Thanks a lot for exaplaining Jack, I did exactly what you said and I got to the Blue Recovery Screen after disabling the secure boot ( I'm sending a picture )
    D2D was already enabled as was the F12 boot option. However non of the options got me anywhere, screen just loaded for few seconds and went back to the same state after I chose something. Also I'm not sure if I can bring Endless back since I basically formatted clean the drive. About your question, the usb drive was actually visable all the time, I think I mentioned that, but when I was chosing it I just kept receiving that error message with the "recovery media" that I mentioned above. So maybe the best thing to do is bring it back to the Acer store where I got it from and see what they can do. If you have any more tips, please share them. Thanks again for your time!
  • JackE
    Options
    Did you make your bootable Win10 stick using these instructions? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10  Since your machine probably doesn't have an embedded Windows license key you might have to set up a Microsoft account. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Xplode89

Tinkerer

Options
    Well I have a Microsoft account, however today finally managed to fix the problem, I changed to a different version of Windows 10 wich probably had different bootable settings, to be honest I'm still not sure what was the exact problem. I thought I did everything right with the file system and boot options while creating the bootable usb and I didn't change anything with that other Windows version. Anyway it's fixed now, so thanks again for your time Jack, have a happy new year!
  • JackE
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Congrats. Did you use the Microsoft tool or something else? Maybe the stick got corrupted somehow and needed to be re-done? Have a Happy New Year too! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• absar8
    absar8 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    some time comming error below image then after showing no bootable device

• Kpopsmash
    Kpopsmash Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    No Bootable device  
    What do i have to do?
  • JackE
    Options
    Kpopsmash Check your BIOS Information tab by tapping the F2 key immediately after turning on the machine. Is anything listed in the eMMC or HDD section? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ