Predator G9-591 Many Games Launch With Blank Screen

IntrepidOtter
IntrepidOtter Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello everyone, this has been a problem plaguing my laptop for quite a while, and it has become quite frustrating. I am not super computer literate, so any suggestions would be welcome!

I think I have partially managed to isolate what the problem is, but haven't been able to pin it down (when your problem is games aren't running, its kind of hard to find a specific answer online).

I mostly use Steam, and as of a couple of months ago a large number of games will just launch with a black/white screen with audio still working, and the cursor changing (if the game changes the cursor). Recent examples have been Blood Bowl 2, Cities: Skylines and Battle Brothers. I can technically click stuff as well while they are running, but I don't see anything on my screen itself. I have searched for solutions on each of them in particular, but nothing I have found has worked.

I think the problem is something with how the integrated Intel graphics and the GeForce GTX 970M are interacting with each other, with the problematic games I have tried to launch them by right-clicking and launching with each option individually, and that doesn't work. While troubleshooting earlier today I discovered that if I disabled either display adapter in the Control Panel the games in question will launch! But obviously having to disable one of them is not a solution.

Is there anyone else who has had this issue? All of my drivers are up to date. I can also provide more information if needed, I've just been getting increasingly frustrated with this problem.

Answers