is it ok to use a different charger?

jake9549
jake9549 Member Posts: 2 New User
will my laptop be damaged or blow up? I'm using a universal charger that's 90w, 19v, 4.47amps. The original charger it came with was 180w, 19.5v, 9.23amps. I lost the original that's why im using this one at the moment. what should I expect? 

Best Answer

• Deejay_tech
    Deejay_tech Member Posts: 356 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    dont game or use the nvidia gpu. as doing so will burn / melt the charger, due to high load, the charger will be working under stress and get very hot....
    if you use only the intel cpu , then no issues.
    but get the 180W charger asap. use this only for emergency use or to charge the laptop when it is off.

btw, you can use any charger, of reasonable wattage (Amps), in the voltage range of 18V - 19.95V.
    there is a +/- 5 to 10% voltage tolerance in such things. 
    My personal Acer m/c's
    1) Gaming: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
    Config:Core i5 8300H, 16GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1050ti GPU

2) Daily Use: Acer Aspire A315-53  59GR
    Config: Core i5 8250u, 8GB, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, IPS FHD 

3) Linux Learning: Acer Aspire A315-53 P4MY
    Config: Pentium Gold 4417U, 8 GB, 256 SSD, 500GB HDD.

Answers

• Deejay_tech
    Deejay_tech Member Posts: 356 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    dont game or use the nvidia gpu. as doing so will burn / melt the charger, due to high load, the charger will be working under stress and get very hot....
    but get the 180W charger asap. use this only for emergency use or to charge the laptop when it is off.

btw, you can use any charger, of reasonable wattage (Amps), in the voltage range of 18V - 19.95V.
    My personal Acer m/c's
    1) Gaming: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
    Config:Core i5 8300H, 16GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1050ti GPU

2) Daily Use: Acer Aspire A315-53  59GR
    Config: Core i5 8250u, 8GB, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, IPS FHD 

3) Linux Learning: Acer Aspire A315-53 P4MY
    Config: Pentium Gold 4417U, 8 GB, 256 SSD, 500GB HDD.
  • jake9549
    jake9549 Member Posts: 2 New User

thanks for the advice, I will not be doing any gaming until I get the new charger. I did try to game before on this charger I have to admit.. What happened when I tried the laptop would switch from battery to charger like every second or two and causing extreme lag. When this happened I took out the charger immediately (I hope nothings damaged from this part). It's working fine though when just surfing the web and stuff like that.. 
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    jake9549 said:

thanks for the advice, I will not be doing any gaming until I get the new charger. I did try to game before on this charger I have to admit.. What happened when I tried the laptop would switch from battery to charger like every second or two and causing extreme lag. When this happened I took out the charger immediately (I hope nothings damaged from this part). It's working fine though when just surfing the web and stuff like that.. 
    Just try to get the 180w adapter asap and try not to do any demanding tasks on it and the 90w cannot provide enough juice for it as it was already said avoid gaming

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• lovecat1221
    lovecat1221 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I what to know why then my charger does not work on my computer and I know everything about all