My Nitro 5 is dead...

Options
Ruhire
Ruhire Member Posts: 8 New User
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi, I am in desperate need of your help, i mean i just purchased a Nitro 5 AN515-52...
One day i was just chilling when the laptop just died, i tried pressing the power button it didnt turn on, all the lights were dead too even tho the charger was plugged in. I tried discharging the electricity from the device by sticking a needle on the back of the laptop and holding for a minute, nothing worked. 
Service center were able to power it up but laptop never booted up again, they said only way is to change the whole mainboard which is gonna cost a fortune, in other words i was asked to pay 50% of the actual price of the laptop... I took it somewhere else, they changed the bios chip and winboard ic, but the laptop dies right after green acer logo shows up... 
Is there any way we can fix this?? 
Its been 2 months that my laptop is lying dead... 
Please help, thank you so much. 

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The problem isn't caused by undervolting for sure. Your mistake is that you brought the laptop to a third party service centre instead of Acer authorized service centre. Any type of damage that isn't your fault is covered under warranty and in your case the damage was covered under the warranty.

Unfortunately, as tobimaru has mentioned swapping components like BIOS chips and things that are soldered to the motherboard void warranty.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Diedes
    Diedes Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    Wauw this seems really bad, I am really sorry for you. With mainboard you mean motherboard? How long ago did you buy your laptop and is it still under warranty? Did you ever notice your pc was being hot, ventilators running very intensivly for a long time, random lag spikes in games or programs or that your cpu and ram were at the top of it capability? Because all of those symptoms, I am having with my an515-52 and acer service center wsnt able to fix it. If you look around in this forum, you see that a lot of people have problems with their an515 and nobody has a solution. So in your case, did you ever experience those things I describe and do you have a waranty? If yes, you can argue that the an515 serie has a problem and that probably the constant heating of the cpus killed your mortherboard and that you want a different laptop. Because lets be honest, your pc shouldnt have this problem, unless it is 10 years old or you treat it bad. After reading this, I am really afraid that my an515 and that of other will await the same fate in a few years..
  • tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    Did you purchase the laptop new or second-hand? Either way, I believe any potential warranty will be void as physical (and critical) components on the laptop have been changed and/or modified by a third party.

I've read numerous times of people buying motherboards (or wholes sapres) on eBay and swapping components. Even one user here who swapped a Helios motherboard into his Nitro and effectively upgraded both CPU and GPU for a good price. I have no experience with this, but it seems possible.
  • vkk
    vkk Member Posts: 82 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Ruhire said:
    Hi, I am in desperate need of your help, i mean i just purchased a Nitro 5 AN515-52...
    One day i was just chilling when the laptop just died, i tried pressing the power button it didnt turn on, all the lights were dead too even tho the charger was plugged in. I tried discharging the electricity from the device by sticking a needle on the back of the laptop and holding for a minute, nothing worked. 
    Service center were able to power it up but laptop never booted up again, they said only way is to change the whole mainboard which is gonna cost a fortune, in other words i was asked to pay 50% of the actual price of the laptop... I took it somewhere else, they changed the bios chip and winboard ic, but the laptop dies right after green acer logo shows up... 
    Isnt your laptop under warranty ? Why was warranty denied ?  
  • Ruhire
    Options
    tobimaru said:
    Did you purchase the laptop new or second-hand? Either way, I believe any potential warranty will be void as physical (and critical) components on the laptop have been changed and/or modified by a third party.

I've read numerous times of people buying motherboards (or wholes sapres) on eBay and swapping components. Even one user here who swapped a Helios motherboard into his Nitro and effectively upgraded both CPU and GPU for a good price. I have no experience with this, but it seems possible.
    Hi, i bought it new. It had a third party warranty service, i took it there and they said it has been "burnt" and warranty doesnt cover this. 
  • Ruhire
    Options
    Diedes said:
    Wauw this seems really bad, I am really sorry for you. With mainboard you mean motherboard? How long ago did you buy your laptop and is it still under warranty? Did you ever notice your pc was being hot, ventilators running very intensivly for a long time, random lag spikes in games or programs or that your cpu and ram were at the top of it capability? Because all of those symptoms, I am having with my an515-52 and acer service center wsnt able to fix it. If you look around in this forum, you see that a lot of people have problems with their an515 and nobody has a solution. So in your case, did you ever experience those things I describe and do you have a waranty? If yes, you can argue that the an515 serie has a problem and that probably the constant heating of the cpus killed your mortherboard and that you want a different laptop. Because lets be honest, your pc shouldnt have this problem, unless it is 10 years old or you treat it bad. After reading this, I am really afraid that my an515 and that of other will await the same fate in a few years..
    I bought it brand new and fresh and sealed, only used it for 3 months. Never had heating nor throttling issues whatsoever, temp at high was around 60.
    Speaking of which, i undervolted my laptop by - 100 (i dont remember the unit, but it was safe i assume), which kind of helped with temp about 5-10, could it be possible that it failed becaus3 of that??? After i und3rvolted it, i used it for a good 2 months, idk if this has caused this... 
  • Ruhire
    Options
    vkk said:
    Ruhire said:
    Isnt your laptop under warranty ? Why was warranty denied ?  
    Laptop came out of the box with only 4gb of ram and no ssd, so i upgraded it myself and put a hole on the acer logo covering the screws... 
    So when this happened i took it straight away to the third party warranty service it had, they were able to bring back power to the laptop but they were unable to boot it up, and said that the whole board needs to be replaced, but i didnt want to spend that kind of money for a laptop i newly bought... 
  • Ruhire
    Options
    tobimaru said:

What is the cheapest solution for me... Im so screwed
  • Ruhire
    Options
    I don't think I'd ever by an acer product again, first and last time I wasted money on Acer. 
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The problem isn't caused by undervolting for sure. Your mistake is that you brought the laptop to a third party service centre instead of Acer authorized service centre. Any type of damage that isn't your fault is covered under warranty and in your case the damage was covered under the warranty.

Unfortunately, as tobimaru has mentioned swapping components like BIOS chips and things that are soldered to the motherboard void warranty.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Ruhire
    Options
    ven98 said:

Happens this unit that i bought is from Singapore, and Acer service center said warranty wouldnt cover this, thats why it had a third party warranty service when it came out of the box... I didnt pay attention to that... 
  • ven98
    Options
    Yeah, unfortunately if you have purchased it from another country and you want to have it repaired in the country you are born/resident they won't cover the repair under international warranty. Your only option was to send it back to Singapore and have it repaired there.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Lostinspace6591
    Lostinspace6591 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Like you I have an Acer Nitro 5 laptop. It suddenly died. I would hit the power button, only the blue led light would come on. I took the back cover off. I noticed a small clump white oxidation next to the memory card on the left side. This oxidation covered several small micro capacitors. I took a firm paint brush and some alcohol and removed the oxidation. I plugged my power supply back in and it works just like before. I am not sure what the oxidation is or where it came from. I have a wife and 10 year old that use the laptop. You will have to look very carefully to see the oxidation. Two of use missed it the first time around. I caught it only because I had a pair of reading glasses on. I hope this helps, good luck.