Okay, so my laptop just died on me. Randomly. (Acer Aspire e-15 / e5-575g-5341)

samc45
samc45 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hey all,

I was just playing a game on this laptop, when it randomly just shuts down on me. There isn't any physical damage done to the motherboard or anything. It was just plugged into the laptop, and then died. Since then, the laptop hasn't even turned on. Originally, the laptop wasn't receiving any power at all which was indicated by the light LED on the bottom. I also tried opening the laptop, removing the battery, removing the AC adaptor, and holding the power button anywhere from 30-120 seconds. Still nothing. 

However, after putting the battery back together, I clicked the battery reset pinhole on the back, and now it is finally accepting a charge. GREAT. But the problem still is the fact that the laptop still isn't turning on when pressing the power button. I also want to note that the power button is on the keyboard (not sure if that makes a difference, but i really don't know). I also tried removing the RAM, nothing. Tried switching the RAM, nothing. I also tried unplugging everything from the motherboard, all IO ports, keyboard, display, power jack, and plugging them back in. Still nothing. I also tried removing the battery, and only plugging in the AC adaptor, still nothing when pressing power button. 

Also want to note that one of my USB 3.0 ports died. Not sure if that indicates anything. 

So is my motherboard completely done for? Is it even worth replacing it? I found some mobo replacements on ebay, but is that even the problem?

Answers

• Hypertrophik
    Hypertrophik Member Posts: 4 New User
    The same thing happened to me, except I was just on Microsoft Word when mine shut off completely. After calling Acer and doing my own tests I concluded that it was a faulty motherbord which I think is your case as well. I also checked eBay for a motherboard replacement (kinda pricy). Idk if would even be worth it trying to replace the motherboard, have you done anything to your laptop since this happened?
  • CharlesAllen
    CharlesAllen Member Posts: 3 New User
    How old is your laptop?  It may be cheaper to buy a new computer than replacing the mother board.  You removed the battery and that did not solve anything.  You removed memory and that solved nothing.  So how much do you want to spend on a motherboard?  Or a new computer?