Helios 500: Coil whining, Strange Noises?

Duke7
Duke7 Member Posts: 9 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi,

I recently bought the Helios 500 with the following specs:
- Intel® Core™ i7-8750H 
- NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 (8 GB GDDR5 VRAM)
16 GB DDR4 RAM
- 512 GB PCIe SSD
1.000 GB HDD 
- Win 10 Home (64 Bit) 

Current BIOS Version is v. 1.16.

My problem is, that there is a really annoying high pitch noise coming from the top left of the Laptop.

I have not experienced that with my previous laptops, so I do not know what to do.

Has anyone got the same issue or knows how to solve it?

Answers

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited December 2018
    If its coming from the fans just ask for a replacement/repair

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Duke7
    You can also hear the noise when the fans are not running (that is the most annoying part) , so I do not know if this could fix the problem.
  • Does this noise occur on the battery? Are you plugging the notebook into a grounded outlet?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited December 2018
    It could be many things but one thing is for certain... ANY whining is not normal (I own one). Get it repaired bro under warranty or return and replace where you bought from.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Duke7
    I only have grounded outlets in my flat. I nearly tried all of them, but the result is the same.

The sound occurs if the power is plugged in but also if the laptop runs on battery. Nevertheless, could the battery be the problem?

I think I will follow Red-Sands advice and try to get the laptop repaired / replaced, because it really is a great laptop and I would like to keep it.
  • I agree with fellow Red-Sand! However I would like to know the exact model of the notebook! Example ph517-51! Could you also record a video of the problem? This noise may be related to the cooler!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Duke7
    The exact model is the PH517-51-79UB. I tried to record a video, but the microphone of my mobile did not record the noise. I will try again tomorrow.
  • The noise may be coming from here:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Duke7
    The noise comes from the area you marked, but also from where you plug in the power supply. The sound really gets loud if I start a game (e.g. in FIFA 19 in the menu you can hear it but not that loud. When the engine starts the noise suddenly gets really loud)

Is the CPU on the left or right side in the pic you posted?

I was not able to record the noise. Sorry.

• Yes! It's because the notebook is facing down!
    Have you checked on the predator sense how is the fan rotation? Have you already disabled coolboost in acer quick access? It would be more interesting if you could record a video and post on youtube!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Duke7
    edited December 2018
    I found this video on YouTube which shows you which noise my laptop and power supply make. It is quite similar.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f54fKIMHRdk

I tried to narrow it down so I disabled the gtx1070 but the noise was still there. Also I ran a cinebench benchmark, but the noise did not get as loud as it was when the FIFA engine started. 

So taking this into account I think the problem is the power socket on my Laptop, because the power supply also makes these weird noise.

CoolBoost is disabled. Fan speed is about 2000 rpm.
  • Is your notebook still under warranty? That noise really seems to come from the fan!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Have you already disconnected the hd to see if the noise is coming from the fan?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Duke7
    The notebook is still under warranty. I bought it in November. So I'm confident that Acer will help me.

I manually forced the fans to run at 0 rpm in the Predator Sense App but the noise was still there. So could the fans really be the reason for the noise?

I did not disconnect the hard disk because I do not want to harm my warranty. 

• If the hd compartment screw does not have a warranty seal, you can disconnect it by yourself! Even the user can open the notebook to add a ssd m2, and as long as it does not damage any part, you will not lose the warranty!
    However this also depends a lot on the country in which you live! Call technical support and ask if removing hd violates the warranty!
    Perhaps the ideal would be to actually take the notebook for warranty repair!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited December 2018
    Well if the noise is not coming from the fans as you set them to 0 there is only one thing i can think off its the m.2 ssd in some rare cases they make really loud noises when they are faulty or part faulty the microchips begin to enter in short circuit just a thought tough

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/