Will a i7 880 work with a Aspire M3910 Motherboard?

DeeSull
DeeSull Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2018 Archives
Hello, i have a Acer Aspire M3910 with a LGA1156 socket currently using a i3 550. I am wondering if i can upgrade to a i7 880 with the same LGA1156 socket. Does anything else need to be compatible other than the socket? 
Also my ram is 2x4gb DDR3 1333mhz.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks. 

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,261 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    That model shipped some SKUs with i7-860 and i7-870 first gen CPUs, so we know they work. I'd be leery of trying the i7-880 unless you get one awfully cheap, in case it doesn't work. Best to stick with the known good models. The 875K only gives you gains over the 870 if the BIOS supports it and since they never shipped that combo the BIOS will inevitably not support it.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• DeeSull

Tinkerer

My PC specs are:

Acer Aspire M3910 M5910 DX4840 H57H-AM2 Motherboard. 
    4x8gb DDR3 1333mhz Ram.
    AMD HD 7770 1GB GPU.
    Intel i3 550 CPU.
    600GB WD Blue HDD 5400RPM.
    240GB Kingston SSD.
    300w power supply.
  • DeeSull

Tinkerer

Will it work with a i7 875k too?
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    That model shipped some SKUs with i7-860 and i7-870 first gen CPUs, so we know they work. I'd be leery of trying the i7-880 unless you get one awfully cheap, in case it doesn't work. Best to stick with the known good models. The 875K only gives you gains over the 870 if the BIOS supports it and since they never shipped that combo the BIOS will inevitably not support it.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DeeSull

Tinkerer

edited December 2018
    billsey said:
    Ok, thanks for the reply. So not all CPU's will be compatible even if it has the same socket and meets the requirements required for a specific motherboard such as ram, bus speed, wattage and voltage etc?

• DeeSull

Tinkerer

I'm gonna go with the i7 870, but is the Xeon X3480 compatible with my motherboard as well? I heard its faster than the i7 870. I wanna get the fastest possible CPU my motherboard can handle. Thanks.

• billsey
    Nope, the Xeon models don't work in the consumer motherboards...