Keyboard and Mouse freeze after ca 5 minutes inactivity on Acer Aspite XC 730

Options
grahamt
grahamt Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

I installed 2018-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4467702) in November my Acer Aspire XC-730 desktop.  Since then both keyboard and mouse stop responding after about 5 minutes without any manual input. Whilst using the PC then there is no problem.  The only way to progress is to hard shut down the PC and restart.

I have seen others with a similar issue though not necessarily from this Windows 10 update. The solutions recommended seemed complex and beyond my confidence. I had hoped that Microsoft would have been informed of this problem and would be sending out an update to fix, but to date none seen.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Not too complex. Open Control Panel. Search 'power'.  Click edit power plan in left pane. Try setting 'put the machine to sleep' options to never on both battery alone and plugged in. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• grahamt
    grahamt Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for your suggestion, but that did not resolve the problem.

HOWEVER -  Having tried several suggestions from other forums that did not work, someone suggested that it could well be a corrupt or outdated driver.  I installed DriverEasy and it identified 11 suspect drivers. I subscribed to the automatic fix which updated the bad drivers and now the desktop PC is working without problems.

Hope that might help any other Acer XC 730 users if they encounter the same problem.

Graham

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    Thanks for the report. Another good freeware that sometimes helps is iobit's DriverBooster. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ