When will Acer update drivers for the Aspire ES1-731 for the Windows 10 build 1803

Answers

• CMcMahon
    CMcMahon Member Posts: 61 Troubleshooter
    Love your optimism Jack, but I've never been one to just go out and buy any old pig in the poke.  Unless I know exactly what it is I'm getting, I ain't buying.  Old age pension, etc., doesn't give us up here enough to squander the bits of coin.  So, I'm gonna wait till mid week and call Microsoft, because calling Acer is worse than useless, ask them what that key is for, find out if I can use my Win 7 license or not, then decide.  So you and your family have an awesome and joyful Merry Christmas, and I'll send you a post when I have better and definitive answers.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,844 Trailblazer
    edited December 2018
    OKEE-DOKE! I thought you had already taken the plunge and order the media. I'm surprised the CAN ACER store couldn't tell you if it was Win8.1. Have a great Christmas up there too! Hope you have better luck with getting a more solid answer from Microsoft. Then we'll go from there. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    No, I did not buy the media stick, like I said, I'm not a quick dive in the water, without knowing exactly what I'm getting. The Can Acer offices are as tough to talk to someone, as getting into the White House, HAH1  All you get here are recorded messages, push this button for this, that button for that, and end up talking to a third party support person, who sounds like they live in that over crowded country between Pakistan and China.  In other words no help at all, unless you open your wallet, minimum $99.00 to start, then buy this or that package.  I have called Microsoft in TO and talked to a real person before, so I'll do that again on Thursday, hopefully they will be working.  In the meantime, enjoy your family and the holidays.
  • CMcMahon
    Hey Jack  Hope you and your family had a super great Christmas, and are looking forward to a better new year.  I have to say you were right on the money, and hate to admit I couldn't pull off getting Win 7 to work.  Real fun for a couple of days, and finally got it going today, BUT, as in all things in device manager, under other devices, ethernet, network, Pci encrypt/decrypt, SM Bus, and USB controllers, would not install the drivers.  Everything else is Microsoft and was OK.  I downloaded the drivers, put them on a disk, got windows installer going, but no cigar.  Back to the Win 10 HDD, rats.  Still trying to figure out what to use and how, to install the drivers. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?  Claude 
  • JackE
    >>> I have called Microsoft in TO and talked to a real person before, so I'll do that again on Thursday, hopefully they will be working.>>>

Hi Claude. Yes, next year should be better. Did you try calling Microsoft yesterday to see if they can tell you which Windows version that the "wmic os get serialnumber" command  gave you?  00325-80048-15881-AAOEM. This looks like an ACER OEM license that either Microsoft or ACER would be able to decipher as either Win8.1 or Win10. I'm pretty sure it's Win8.1. Also pretty sure the $50 ACER  recovery stick is Win8.1. But only Microsoft or the ACER store can give you a 100% guarantee on these things (if whoever you talk to feels like trying to decipher it). I can't as I'm an ACER and Windows user just like you and can only offer a semi-educated guess. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    Unfortunately no, wife kept me too doggoned busy getting stuff ready for our daughter in law's birthday dinner, and new grand daughters one month birthday??, to do much of anything on the PC, it all basically happened this morning.  When Win 7 started and my product key worked, I got all excited and forgot to call Microsoft.  Don't know if Microsoft will be open till the new year, but I'll try Monday just in case.  I've got all the numbers written down.  The Win 10 backup didn't work as it should have, no surprise there, so I have to call Ma Bell and get some stuff fixed.  Have a great weekend.
  • JackE
    >>>When Win 7 started and my product key worked, I got all excited and forgot to call Microsoft. >>>
    Did you change the BIOS to LEGACY mode from UEFI mode?

>>>The Win 10 backup didn't work as it should have >>>>
    Did you change the BIOS back to UEFI mode from LEGACY mode?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    Hello Jack, Happy New Year.  Lots of fun today.  Microsoft in TO took over the laptop today, and told me the second product number key is the OEM backup in case I run into trouble doing a recovery.  Awful nice of them, HAH!!  Anyway, the Windows folks did a complete re-install of the April build 1803, just what I needed.  They also told me if I really want Win 7 on this PC they will help and walk me through it.  I told them about having issues with being able to connect to the internet after installing Win 7 Pro on a new HDD, and was told they can get it working.  Who would have thought Microsoft would be that helpful, or maybe they have some nefarious reason behind this unusual offer.  Just kidding.  I haven't rebooted after the fresh install so I'm gonna shut down, grab some supper, and go back at It tomorrow.  Have a super night, Claude 
  • CMcMahon
    An update!  I got a call from Microsoft telling me there is an issue with my PC that level 1 & 2 guys can't fix, and a guy from level 3 is going to call me Jan 5 to see if he can fix whatever it is.  They can't tell me if it's hardware or software.  I think I should just scrap this thing and get another one. 
  • JackE
    >>> Just kidding. I haven't rebooted after the fresh install so I'm gonna shut down, grab some supper, and go back at It tomorrow.  Have a super night, Claude  >>>

Now this part of your message I believe, Claude!  =)  All kidding aside, if it was my ES1-731, I'd personally jump at an MS employee's offer to upgrade it to a fully functional Win7Pro machine before he or she gets fired.  I'd truly admire any MS employee that'd make such an offer if true. Jack E?NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    >>>An update!  I got a call from Microsoft telling me there is an issue with my PC that level 1 & 2 guys can't fix, and a guy from level 3 is going to call me Jan 5 to see if he can fix whatever it is.  They can't tell me if it's hardware or software.  I think I should just scrap this thing and get another one.  >>>

Oh-oh! I posted my response before seeing your last update Claude. But don't scrap it just yet! Because it's probably your last chance at having your very own Win7Pro machine. I fear though that the level 3 guy might tell you that a Win7 upgrade is impossible because the level 1 & 2 guys were fibbing.  :)     Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    Hello Jack
    After nearly two hours on the phone with Microsoft, from that country between Pakistan and China, I have been told, because there was a rollback option on this PC, I might possibly be able to install Win 7, and the Win 10 drivers should be 7 compatible, but only on the original hard drive, not on a new HDD.  There is the possibility of losing some applications, files, and programs but he couldn't say which ones.  The other issue is, if 7 doesn't work, I may not be able to get 10 back and working properly.  Looks like I am stuck with what I've got because I can't get 7 drivers from Acer for this PC, always reverts to Win 10 because of the auto ID.  Thanks again for your expertise and patience.  It's been a slice.  Enjoy your weekend,  Claude
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Claude---Forget the old HDD. Take it out and put it on a shelf. You can certainly try to install Win7Pro on a new HDD if you change the BIOS to legacy mode, boot from your Win7Pro install disc, and let it configure and install Win7Pro on the new HDD. There are 3rd freeware device driver programs like iobit's DriverBooster that can scan your Win7Pro setup and recommend drivers for devices that don't seem to be working properly after installation. New HDDs and SSDs that are bigger and better than your old HDD are incredibly cheap and plentiful these days. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    Hey Jack   Second attempt to get Win 7 running, no cigar yet!  Still having trouble getting the Atheros\Qualcomm network driver installed.  Never mind installed, Windows doesn't like any of the choices made, including Windows network drivers.  I took all the info off the card, plugged that into the web, and came up with several choices, but Windows says nope.  DriveBooster will do the scan, but no web connection ends that real quick.  I went through the Windows list and no match.  Win 7 works but if I can't connect to the web to get drivers, I'm munched.  USB won't work either, and again, unless I can access the web the Intel utility won't function.  I've made a disk that acts like a USB drive, and put a lot of utilities, diagnostics, and drivers on it, but haven't been able to find a utility that can access the web to find me a driver.  I'll go at it again tomorrow, but my patience has about run out.  Have a great night....Claude
  • JackE
    edited January 2019
    >>>Still having trouble getting the Atheros\Qualcomm network driver installed.>>>>Win 7 works but if I can't connect to the web to get drivers>>>

That's progress Claude. In Device Manager, what is the exact model number of the Atheros hardware? What driver version number is not working? Driverscape claims to have Win7 drivers for the Atheros adapter as shown below. If we can wifi working then the rest should be easier. Jack E/NJ

PS: Is the wired network adapter working? That's another way we can get it connected to the router.

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    Thanks Jack  I didn't even think about wiring the network, DUH!!  Having a ton of fun changing HDD's so I can let you know what's happening.  I'll go through the procedure again, put the Win 7 HDD back in, and check the model number, wire the PC to them modem, and see what happens.  I did find an app called Drive Talent, that claims to be able to load the drivers without being on the web, sounds sketchy to me, but last choice.  Probably won't know until later this afternoon.  Patience is a virtue, but it's starting to run short. Have a super day....Claude
  • CMcMahon
    Hello Jack...My very own, awesome, master, PC mechanic!  Greetings from my now working Win 7 Pro laptop, that could not have happened without your knowledge and very patient expertise.  Using a DVD disk, formatted to work as though it were a USB stick helped so much, in getting things sorted out and installed.  Still haven't got the USB ports running, but I'm going to try and get that fixed after I close here.  So, I can't thank you enough, and my wife is grinning from ear to ear, after three weeks of my frustration, saying I have to find another job now, HAH!!  You get both thumbs up, and tons of thanks, for going far beyond what I think you normally would.  Have a super night, and great day tomorrow....Claude
  • JackE
    Good progress Claude! Congrats on your perseverance. Now try to get those USB ports working and anything else that needs fixing! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    Hello Jack...All's well that ends well, so the saying goes.  We're up and running with Win 7 Pro, and all systems are a go!!  A few small things to iron out, but no biggie.  Once again I have to thank you for your patience, professionalism, awesome knowledge and expertise, and going far beyond what I am sure is normal.  You're THE MAN!!  not yelling.  I will be submitting my thumbs up for the community to see.  Thank you Jack...enjoy, and I know you will keep up with what you do so well....Claude
  • JackE
    Thanks Claude. But what few small things need ironing out yet? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ