When will Acer update drivers for the Aspire ES1-731 for the Windows 10 build 1803

Answers

• CMcMahon
    CMcMahon Member Posts: 61 Troubleshooter
    The 401?  Are you north of the border?  Win 7 Pro was bought new in a sealed wrapper on Ebay, so I swapped the HDD in the desk top that came with Win 7 Home, for a new WD HDD and I installed Win 7 Pro. Reformatted the old HDD and used it on the desktop for backup.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,844 Trailblazer
    Nope. South now. Your Win7Pro ***should*** be OK then. At least till Jan 2020 when maintenace support is scheduled to end in their latest lifecycle policy revision.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    Well that's better than what I've got happening now, and I used XP way, way long past it's due date.  But again how would I do 8.1 even if that's an option?
  • JackE
    You have two choices. The easy way based on your machine's serial number id (SNID) that'll cost about $50 from here https://store.acer.com/en-ca/erecovery/rcd/ . Or the hard way for free from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO. The difference between the two (other than $50) is the ACER-flavored Win 8.1 has all the correct ACER-flavored drivers and system files --- sorta like  a turnkey installation --- in theory.

If you try to get the ACER-flavored Win8.1 USB or DVD, you'll find out quick if the machine originally shipped from the factory with Win8.1. Because if the SNID doesn't match a Win8.1 factory install, your attempt to order the media won't continue.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    OK that answers the 8.1 question.  Now, because of the time of the year, ho ho ho and all that stuff, trying a Win 7 install if the product key won't register because of my previous use, I'll have to wait to call the Microsoft bandits in TO after Christmas.  At least this thing is slow but useable.  Let me think about this one for a bit.  Get back to you in the a.m.  Have a great night, and thanks again for your seasoned help.
  • CMcMahon
    Just for H of it I entered my SNID into the media recovery slot clicked submit and nothing happened, three times with waiting a few minutes between tries.  Acer must not like me much, HAH!!  Later,
  • JackE
    At least ACER hasn't rejected you yet. There's still hope they'll take your money. =) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    Gee, aren't you a bundle of joy!!  I tried again, same thing happened, no result.  So, I clicked on recovery media, one was in my cart, but no way to tell if it's Win 8.1 or 10, at least that I can see.  Check back in the a.m.
  • JackE
    >>>no way to tell if it's Win 8.1 or 10>>>

I think that's because it's supposed to be a surprise just like it magically appeared in the cart after nothing happened. The price plus shipping charge will probably also be a surprise but revealed only after your payment method has been approved. It might even be a pleasant surprise.  =)     Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    Morning Jack  Gee, aren't you a bundle of joyful news.  Surprises are nice, sometimes, but when it involves me spending $$$, I want to know beforehand what I'm getting.  The price was there $44.95, and I'm going to guess taxes and shipping will bring it over $50 Cdn, especially because our bucks are at an all time low now, but no cigar till I know which Win version it is.  If I had to guess and because when I put in my SNID it comes up with Win 10, that's what the surprise will be.  Unless you have some inside info.
  • JackE
    Whatever Windows version you get should be whatever version it originlly left the factory with when it arrived at Staples. Whatever Staples did after that, if anything, is still a mystery. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    Right.  Is there any way to find out what the OEM product key is for short of calling Microsoft in TO?  I'm fairly certain the other key number is for Win 10
  • JackE
    edited January 2019
    You got this result earlier with your keyfinder.

Windows 10 Home
    Windows OEM product key in BIOS:  

Go to the command prompt. Then enter 'wmic os get serialnumber' to verify this keyfinder result.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    That command came up with an entirely different number than what the key finder did, doesn't look like a Microsoft key number at all, no letters.  What I'm trying to figure out is, there are two product key numbers, so what is each one for.  There should only be one for Win 10
  • CMcMahon
    Hold on, two scenarios:  If this was originally an 8.1 OEM factory install, and Staples did indeed install Win 10, Staples would have had to register the Win 10 install through Acer, yes or no?  The second scenario is, there was an Office program ready for the user install, and the second key number may have been for that.
  • JackE
    What number(s) did wmic show? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    00325-80048-15881-AAOEM  I gotta admit, I haven't been this frustrated in trying to get a PC to work right and make a final decision in a very long time.  This has me totally flummoxed. 
  • JackE
    That looks like the factory-installed ACER OEM Windows product license key embedded on your mainboard that's associated with its SNID. The other OEM key that you got from your keyfinder was probably from the ACER BIOS version 1.12 that fixed the freebie upgrade problem from Win8.1 to Win10.

As a double check on your mainboard SNID, go back to the command prompt and enter 'wmic bios get serialnumber'. Don't reveal the SNID result online here but it should be the same number that you used to order the recovery media.  If it's the same SNID, the recovery media you ordered will likely be the original factory-fresh Win8.1 version --- maybe. :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    Your command prompt gave me the serial number of the laptop, which is on the tag on the back of the machine
  • JackE
    I will keep my fingers crossed for you that you will receive the original factory version of the Win8.1 installation media. And, as an added bonus, the Win8.1 media will neither be corrupted nor broken when you receive it. How's that sound so far?  :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ