When will Acer update drivers for the Aspire ES1-731 for the Windows 10 build 1803

Answers

• CMcMahon
    CMcMahon Member Posts: 61 Troubleshooter
    I know I shouldn't expect it, but you're right again, no surprise!!  Four restore points are Dec 06/11/and 19, and that's it.  Why do I so dislike Win 10.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,844 Trailblazer
    If it was mine, I'd try the ACER care center reset. If the result is an earlier Win10 version that's tolerable, then enable system protection to get some control over Win10updates with restore points. Probably also uninstall any 3rd party antivirus apps like McAfee, Norton, AVG, etc as they can also cause update problems, slow the machine down, and really aren't much better than Windows Defender or standalone scanners like MS malware tool or Stinger. Then decide on whether or not Linux or Win8.1 in a dual boot configuration is worthwhile. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    Afternoon Jack  I saw your message this morning and it took me a while to make sure all the stuff I don't want to disappear, is on a 32Gb flash drive, just in case.  I don't like to leave anything to chance.  I'm going to recovery now, and I'll come back when it's all said and done so you can tell me how to make sure Win 10 works our way, not windows way.  Horseshoes and hand grenades!
  • JackE
    OK. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    Jack  If you can read this I'm baaack!!  I'm still in that God for saken Win 10, and it's still build 1803 V17134.472.  Rats, I can't get away from 1803. I have to guess the first thing I have to do is a reboot and check that F12 and D2D are enabled, check security for UEFI then get out of the BIOS
  • CMcMahon
    How do I get 8.1 on this PC using the BIOS product key? and disable Win 10, that already wants to install updates, double RATS!!
  • JackE
    Hold on. Is it still erratic and nearly unusuable? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    No actually, it seems to be almost back to normal, but some programs have opened without my help.  I have gone into settings and changed to a metered connection with the hope although Win 10 will still download no thanks to pushy Microsoft, but not install.
  • CMcMahon
    Just a thought, look out.  Is there a way to remove the Win 10 product key from the BIOS and hope to activate the 8.1 key?
  • JackE
    edited December 2018
    Press the WINkey + Rkey. Enter 'services.msc'. Scroll down the list and right click on Window Update. Click properties. Change auto or delayed start auto to manual. That also helps to fend off Win10 updates but not totally. If you try to set it to disabled, it'll just come right back on again. Also uninstall not just disable any 3rd party antivirus like McAfee, Norton, AVG, etc.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    Done, anything else?
  • JackE
    Yes. Think about whether you want to try a dual boot with Win8.1 or Linux. Or get another HDD to have a dedicated Win8.1 or Linux machine. Can't guarantee either direction will go smoothly.

But basically in a dual boot we shrink the HDD Win10 partition to the smallest size possible. Then use the freed-up HDD space for either a Win8.1 or Linux installation. Then put either Win8.1 or Linux first in the boot order. Then forget Win10 is even on the machine.

Or swapping out the HDD would give us flexibility to try installing Win8.1, Linux or even Win7Pro (with the likely driver problems) without messing up the original HDD any more than it already is. New HDDs, probably better than the old HDD you have, are incredibly cheap these days so it might be worth considering.

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    I do happen to have a new WD 1Tb HDD just itching to be used
  • CMcMahon
    I do believe wifey will let me buy a 17.3" laptop if I can find one, with Win 7 home or preferably Pro on it. but they aren't easy to find.  I don't know how reliable HP or Lenovo are, and I don't trust Dell or Gateway, so it's either Asus,or Acer.
  • JackE
    Well, I have a 2010 vintage 17.3" HP with Win7 on it. It's also running WinXP, Win98SE & SuSE Linux under VMWare so I can use some of my favorite older software and hardware that will neither run right nor at all under the latest Windows versions. I use it fairly regularly so you can't have it. Sorry. But do you wanna try to swap your new TB HDD into the ES1 to see if we can get Win7 to play nice with it? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    Morning Jack  Once this thing was almost back to normal last night, I just shut it down, my old gray matter couldn't take any more.  It's not as bad as it was, but still slower than when I first got it.  Still takes three or four minutes to boot and settle down for use.  Still wished the old girl wasn't so fussy about space and let me go back to a desk top, that I could have an easier time with.  Anyway, let me think a bit about swapping the HDD.  Seems like the majority of drivers I looked at were all based on the windows build anyway, except for Atheros and Qualcomm.  I guess my only concern is the BIOS in this machine.  Is that something to worry about or will that come from the Win 7 install.  Oh yeah, nice on the 2010 HP.  I've heard HP aren't what they used to be??  Thoughts?
  • JackE
    You can significantly shorten boot time by enabling fast boot in Control Panel power plan settings. However, fast boot often has undesireable side effects since RAM isn't cleared. Fast boot is like a Ctrl-Alt-Del warm boot was in the old days. Not quite as dependable as a full power off slow cold boot to fix a machine that chokes on bad software coding. Unless you have an ant-sey, are-we-there-yet, ADD-like demeanor, I'd keep it in slow cold boot mode.

HP like GM & Kodak was already a shadow of its former greatness long before I got my 2010 17.3" commodity machine that happened to have an HP logo label pasted on its lid.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    I have never been a GM type guy, always Ford, they seem to go on forever, as long as you look after them.  My old 2004 Marquis only has 113K on it, and I still get around 30 mpg at highway speed using cruise.  Question:  my Win 7 pro was used on my desktop that was parted out, do you think I can still use it?  I was going to try anyway, and if it gave me a hard time I was going to Microsoft in Toronto to beg forgiveness.
  • CMcMahon
    You mentioned before about swapping the HDD and installing Win 8.1, sooo, how do I install 8.1 without the disk or a product key 
  • JackE
    Me too. Early '38 standard with the original 21-stud flathead. I became the 2nd owner in 1959 after my '50 DeSoto shot a rod as I was testing it out on a newly-finished section of the 401 hiway.  =)  The Ford's still going but only getting about 18 mpg hiway---US gallon.

Was Win7Pro originally factory-installed on the desktop? Or was it another one of those Staple's upgrade come-ons from a factory-installed Win7Home Premium? If factory Win7Pro, the installation discs would probably be marked with the original computer manufacturer's name on them.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ