When will Acer update drivers for the Aspire ES1-731 for the Windows 10 build 1803

CMcMahon
CMcMahon Member Posts: 61 Troubleshooter
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have a two year old Aspire ES1-731 with Win 10 x64 build 1803, bought brand new from a brick and mortar store, that has become so erratic, it is nearly unusable.  Acer have not listed this model as being tested for drivers for the 1803 build, and it's driving me crazy!  It's out of warranty, so I was going to put in a brand new HDD and install my licensed Win 7 Pro, but can't find the drivers for Win 7 for this laptop.  They are on the Acer website, but only show as html pages.  I missed the Win 7 rollback by a week, and I've been kicking my butt ever since.  Acer has not answered my questions, go figure, but short of scrapping a two year laptop and buying another, NOT ACER, I'm stuck.  Can anyone help a old retired guy get this thing running half decent again?  Please, please, I really need some help.  Thanks and have a great day.  Claude

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,843 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Claude---Forget the old HDD. Take it out and put it on a shelf. You can certainly try to install Win7Pro on a new HDD if you change the BIOS to legacy mode, boot from your Win7Pro install disc, and let it configure and install Win7Pro on the new HDD. There are 3rd freeware device driver programs like iobit's DriverBooster that can scan your Win7Pro setup and recommend drivers for devices that don't seem to be working properly after installation. New HDDs and SSDs that are bigger and better than your old HDD are incredibly cheap and plentiful these days. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    Answer ✓
    Hi Jack....Thank you for all of your help and suggestions.  Libre office may have worked just fine, but I am so used to Outlook since my working days, it's tough to tackle something new, so I broke down and paid $20 Cdn for an office product key.  Laptop is working great, with your help of course.  If anybody I know needs help with their Acer products, you will be the first person I will lead them to.  Thank you again for your help.  Have a really good day....Claude

Answers

• JackE
    Was Win10 or Win8.1 the original factory-installed Windows version? I doubt Win7 would've been. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    Hello Jack and thank you for your reply.  Win 10 x64 Home was the factory installed version and it came with a Win 7 roll back option, which I regretfully missed because we were away.  All I want too do at this point is replace the HDD and load Win 7 Pro, if I can get the drivers for this version laptop hardware.  Thank you for your time and help  Claude
  • JackE
    Are you sure the rollback was Win7? I ask because as far as I know the ES1-731 model only factory shipped with Win8.1 or Win10. Not Win7. Win7 drivers were never posted by ACER for this particular model. The reason is because Win7 will only run on an HDD with the old MBR partitioning scheme, not the newer GPT partitions that are on your machine now. While the HDD can be repartitioned from GPT to MBR to accomodate a Win7 Pro installation, it probably won't be fully functional like a Win8.1 rollback would be. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    Yes, the rollback was for Win 7, or I would  not have bought the laptop.  I'm in Ontario Canada, so I don't know if that makes any difference or not.  I do know they do things differently for us northern people, don't know why, but I've run into this before, meaning a  difference in how they integrate software and hardware.  We have to be real careful going on line looking for resolve of issues.  I also  have bookmarked a Microsoft webpage dealing with rollback from Win 10 to 8.1or 7, but I'm really skeptical about it.  I just think it's really  unfair of Acer to sell a machine we pay hundreds of dollars for, and two years later, it's not worth the weight of the parts, because thy won't update the drivers.  After over 13 loyal years of use, and several machines, this is a real slap in the face.
  • JackE
    OK. Forget the Microsoft page for now. Press the WINkey + Rkey. Enter msinfo32.
    (1) What is the BIOS version number?
    (2) Is in UEFI or Legacy mode?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    Hello Jack,  Thank you again for your time and patience.  I've never done this before, so please bear with me.  The BIOS info is: Insyde Corp and date is 2015-07-09;  BIOS mode is UEFI and SMBIOS is V2.8  Hope this is good news.  Thanks  Claude

• JackE
    >>>The BIOS info is: Insyde Corp and date is 2015-07-09;  BIOS mode is UEFI>>>

Is a BIOS version number also shown along with the 2015-07-09 date? Maybe 1.17? This looks like an older ES1 that originally came with Win8.1. If you got it as Win7, the BIOS & HDD must've been set up differently than they are now. Who converted it to Win10 and is the HDD the same? Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    Hello again Jack  Sorry my fault, the BIOS version is 1.12  I bought this laptop brand new from a Staples store in town, and it was originally Win 10 Home, with a Win 7 rollback by a certain date which I missed.  No conversion that I know of, same 500 Gb HDD it came with, unless the guys in the store did something I don't know about, because when I bought it, it took them a couple of days doing whatever before I could take it home.  It worked not bad until the auto update for build 1803 then starting getting slower as more updates were installed.  Now it takes over six minutes to fully boot with multiple windows opening and closing that are just blank windows, and decides to reboot randomly?   
  • JackE
    Wow!!! Looks to me like Staples upgraded a factory Win8.1 machine to Win10. This 1.12 BIOS version was needed to do that upgrade on this particular model. I'm thus gonna guess the Win7 rollback offer was likely a Staples offer, not ACER, because it would've required fairly major BIOS and software surgery to get Win7 working correctly on this model. And that's what we'll be facing now to try to get Win7 pro on it.

Before making suggestions on how to proceed, is the machine functional enough now to open Control Panel? If yes, search 'restore point'. In the left pane, click on 'create a restore point'. In the box that pops up, is system protection turned on? If yes, click on the system restore button. Click next. And checkmark the box to show more restore points if the box is visible. Do any of the restore point dates seem to coincide with the time the machine became erratic?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    Hi Jack  Sorry for the reply delay, family stuff interference, HAH!  So the different BIOS has to explain why it took Staples a couple of days to get my laptop ready, which seemed strange to me.  I got into control panel and under system settings there is a section for "Back Up and Restore (Windows 7)  There are only two dates in system restore Dec 06 and 11, 2018, and after looking around cannot find any box to show more restore points.  I can create a new restore point, which is not going to help.  The laptop started acting up early August this year.That's another thing that happens.  When I have gone looking for help on other issues and follow instruction given, more often than not, what I'm supposed to look for just isn't there.  If I knew how to take a screen shot, I could attach it so you could see for yourself.
  • CMcMahon
    Good morning Jack  I thought you would understand system protection is on, when I mentioned the two dates that showed up. So, I have been looking on my laptop for "Clipboard" and apparently it doesn't exist, or it does, but I cannot view it unless I download a third party app, suggested by the Microsoft Canada website, that turns out to be for Win 8.1.  I tried to print screen System Settings to show you what is in that section, then do the same for restore points, but it's senseless if I can't see if it was saved.  That's what I meant by searching to resolve issues, following instruction, only to find what is outlined in the instruction isn't on this laptop, even from the 'official Microsoft website and community'  Frustrating as all get out.  Claude

• JackE
    >>>The laptop started acting up early August >>>>

That's probably too long ago. Any restore points would've been Win10 auto-deleted by now.

As an aside, the clipboard is just a term used for storing something in RAM memory. When you press the PrtScr key near the upper right corner of your keyboard, it automatically stores a screen image in memory...it's called the clipboard memory. If you open an imaging program like Paint or MSPaint, you can paste and store that clipboard image to a picture file. The picture file is called a screenshot which you can then post here on the community board using the attach image icon. I've posted a screenshot picture of my comments here below.

We ***might*** be able to get your Win10 installation back to the way it was when you first got it from Staples. I stress 'might' because I'm not exactly sure what Staples did the first time. Or we can try to get Win7Pro working on it but I fear some functionality will be lost because ACER Win7 drivers aren't available for this model. In either case, your personal files must be backed up unless you temporarily exchange the HDD with a new HDD to get Win10 or Win7 running then copy personal files over to it. New HDDs are incredibly cheap nowadays.  

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    Jack  Here's what I was thinking.  What if I were to go to the manufacturer website for all the components on this board and download Win 7 drivers to a USB external drive (flash or HDD)  Then my real concern is the board BIOS which I have never played around with.  I have a brand new WD 1Tb HDD all ready to go, and I have changed the original 4 Gb RAM for Kingston HyperX 8 Gb earlier.  As mentioned I already do have Win 7 Pro.  Thoughts??
  • CMcMahon
    I have also just completed a full back up on this laptop to an external USB HDD.
  • JackE
    >>> I have a brand new WD 1Tb HDD all ready to go, and I have changed the original 4 Gb RAM for Kingston HyperX 8 Gb earlier.  As mentioned I already do have Win 7 Pro.  Thoughts?? >>>>

The safest thing right now is to exchange the HDDs. Put the old one aside for safe keeping. Turn the laptop on and immediately start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu. Make sure the new HDD and memory are recognized under the BIOS Info tab. Then make sure the F12 and D2D options are enabled in the BIOS Main tab. Then you're probably gonna have to set a supervisor password in the Security tab to change from UEFI to legacy mode in the Boot tab. Then save BIOS settings and exit. Turn the machine off by pressing and holding the power button. Then turn it back on and F2 into the BIOS menu again with the password. Then change from UEFI to legacy mode. Rearrange the boot order so your Win7Pro media (DVD disk or USB stick) is first in the boot order. Save settings and exit again. Power down again. Insert your Win7Pro boot installation media and turn it on again. If you have access to another computer, I'd hold off on downloading drivers to see which ones you actually are gonna need. I suspect there will be a few that will be particularly trouublesome to get working correctly if at all. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    Jack, can you give me a bit more info on your comment about drivers and being troublesome working, if at all.  That has me fairly cooncerned
  • CMcMahon
    I used an Intel utility for the attached info, so I don't know if it will help figure things out
  • JackE
    It goes back to what I said earlier here https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/626458/#Comment_626458 . ACER-flavored Win7 device drivers were never written for this model. Accordingly, generic manufacturer Win7 discrete device drivers must be used which often don't work correctly or at all with ACER designs that often integrate these devices into their mainboards. In other words, they are no longer discrete/separate removable devices in ACER hardware designs that may require ACER, not generic manufacturer, software designs. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• CMcMahon
    OK, so I have to guess, it's a try Win 7 and hope it works situation, and if it doesn't, then re-install the original HDD and try to figure out how to get the damned software to cooperate and work properly.  I did make a recovery disk today, so if Win 7 doesn't work, hopefully the recovery disk will get things straightened out and be back to square one, fighting with Win 10 build 1803.  I read somewhere that build 1803 could be rolled back to 1709 which at least worked, but there would be no further Microsoft updates, leaving users out in the cold.  Not a great solution either.
  • JackE
    The main issue here is the new & unimproved Windows10 lifecycle policy with rapid-fire heavy-handed major updates that are almost like entirely new versions of Windows under the old Microsoft naming convention. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet . Even if an 1803 fix were forthcoming for your machine, there's no guarantee that the next major update 1809 will work. This new policy is creating driver & firmware havoc in relatively new machines from many major mfrs that shipped even with earlier major Win10 releases. Under the old Winver naming system, we're probably up to Win16 by now with 1809 with Microsoft maintenance support for it ending nearly 3 years before Win8.1 maintenance support ends.

Machine's that came with earlier versions of Windows factory-installed are probably better off upgrading back ASAP to those earlier versions to assure maintenance support till 2023 for Win8.x. Win10 has no such assurances much beyond the next major update which typically have maintenance support ending in only 12-18mos. This new Microsoft lifecycle policy, if left unchanged within the next year or so, might be the open window of opportunity for an alternative GUI to finally break the PC status quo. Accordingly, I've already converted my relatively new HP and ACER laptops to LinuxMint GUI. They both now have essentially the same look, feel & operation of the last decent Windows version, Win7 only faster.

I'm not suggesting that you install Mint just to get a familiar Win7-like GUI interface. You should however consider installing Win8.1, the original factory-installed version for your machine that will at least have maintenance support till 2023 unlike major Win10updates.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ