nitro 5 an515-51 hot and laggy when gaming

Options
RipeNitro
RipeNitro Member Posts: 39 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
please help i had this problem for a while now ever since my laptop was new im a noob with computers i have acer nitro an515-51 i7-7700hq 2.80ghz ram 8gb ssd nvidia geforce gtx 1050
and the fans get loud like jet fast loud when im gaming then i dowloaded hwmonitor and i think its getting overheated gpu gets to 100% and cpu i have updated my grapich card and drivers i tried battery change to best performance and battery saving nothing helps i toop some pics of the hwmonitor the pictures temp and temp1 is a few minuts in the game and temp while and themp while2 around 1hour gaming

Best Answer

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If 90 is your average CPU temperature, you're likely not running at full speed on CPU or GPU given they're a shared heatsink design. I'm not convinced it's audio related as we are on similar models and I use Realtek/Acer drivers from their website without issue. However, I've taken a few steps to reduce temperatures which makes all the difference when gaming or working the laptop.

Try blowing any dust out from the fans and underside of the laptop where the intake is. Within the 'Acer Quick Access' application make sure to enable the 'CoolBoost' feature to increase fan speeds under load. This helps quite a bit in cooling.

Another small trick is keeping the laptop propped up a bit on table coasters or something similar. Combined with clean intake ports, it really helps with airflow.

If that's all in order and you're still seeing 90C or higher temps while gaming it may require more drastic intervention. Namely; undervolting the CPU and re-pasting the CPU/GPU with better thermal paste. These are slightly more advanced methods to control the temperatures but also possibly the most effective if you're on an otherwise clean but overheating system.

In this case I don't think the Graphics card drivers actually matter at this point. You should probably stick with the currently installed version for now in order to not introduce any more variables to your trouble shooting.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options
    How old is this laptop? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RipeNitro
    Options
    1 year now but i have had this problem for a while now i didnt have time to look for solutions kinda started when the pc was 3-4months old
  • JackE
    Options
    Two simple things you could try first. Alternately vacuum the air intakes and blow air into the air exhaust ports a half-dozen or so times to try to dislodge dust and debris that might have accumulated in and around the CPU fan & heatsink. Also raise notebook a few inches above a hard surface (perhaps pedestaled on books) when under heavy load to promote cooling.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RipeNitro
    Options
    i have done that many times and now i have factory reseted the whole pc i im gonna give an update 
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. let us know if the reset helps. If it does help, make sure system protection is turned on in Control Panel's restore point app just in case it's due to a Win10update or some other software/app issue. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RipeNitro
    Options
    it seems that the cpu and gpu now is ok but the temp i think not or? and annoying lags i get in the game
  • JackE
    Options
    Games don't seem to be utilizing the GPU much. Perhaps they have settings that need to be adjusted. What games are you playing? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RipeNitro
    Options
    Smite and heroes&generals and warframe  and ark survival
  • JackE
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Which of these games has the most problems particularly with lowest GPU usage. Almost forgot to mention that you should uninstall, not just disable, any non-Microsoft antivirus software like McAfee, Norton, MalwareBytes, AVG, etc. All you need is Windows Defender and Malicious Software Removal tool which are regularly updated. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RipeNitro
    Options
    warframe works good now when charger is plugged in h&g i have problems i tried lowest settings still it gets laggy and smite gets sluggish when not charger on i unistalled ark becuze was no idea to play it.... i cant find Malicious Software Removal  in my pc? what is that

• JackE
    Options
    >>>i cant find Malicious Software Removal  in my pc? what is that>>>

Press the WINkey + Rkey. Enter 'mrt' . This is the malcious software removal tool to be run as an administrator. It is automatically updated  by Windows updates. You can run a fairly fast Windows system file scan for viruses or a whole HDD scan which takes several hours. This program together with Windows Defender, also automatically updated, is all you need. So uninstall any non-Microsoft antivirus software as they will just slow up your machine. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• RipeNitro
    Options
    ok i did those but still no changes on the games still the same :(

• JackE
    Options
    >>>warframe works good now when charger is plugged in>>>

Is this now also laggy again after 2 hours????? Jack  E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RipeNitro
    Options
    im gonna reinstall warframe again and test it btw smite lags even with charger on 
  • JackE
    Options
    Has smite ever NOT lagged? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options
    Also double check that Control Panel's power plan is set to high or max performance again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RipeNitro
    Options
    yes it is on max performance
  • RipeNitro
    Options
    yes  smite has lagged but when i put charger on it performs better but still lag
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>smite has lagged but when i put charger on it performs better>>>

***Maximum performance only happens when the battery is nearly 100% charged and the charger is plugged in*** If try to run on a low charged battery, the battery and charger itself cannot keep up with the heavy load demands of the game.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RipeNitro
    Options
    ok...but now im done testing warframe battery at 53% and  it worked almost perfect with charger on i only notice some lag only when there  was much happening in screen and i had maximun on grapich settings so it cant be low battery...but still if i take the charger off it get sluggish still h&g and smite gets laggy with or without charger even with low grapich