Aspire V3-551 WiFii/ Bluetooth

JLC
JLC Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Have just inherited this machine, and am sure it has WiFi built in (it has a symbol on the F3 key ?).

Also Bluetooth ?

But there's no sign of an adapter in the "Network adapters" screen (Windows 7).

All hardware is working in device manager, and I can't see anything in the BIOS that could disable things ?

Should this laptop have WiFi and/or Bluetooth ?

Best Answer

• JLC

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    All sorted.

Had to open the casing and actually eyeball the WiFi Card - turns out it's an Atheros AR5B22, which needed the drivers you can download from here:

Ignore the fact they are talking about the AR9462 (which was what Linux thought the card was :) )

I started by uninstalling all drivers and the WiFi network adapter, rebooting (of course) I then used Device Manager to install them by locate the non-working adapter and using "Update Driver" and pointing at the unzipped directory. Took a few seconds. Reboot (just to be sure) and now WiFi *and* Bluetooth are working.

Answers

• JLC

Tinkerer

Nobody ? Anywhere ?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited December 2018
    Can you specify the exact model? Example v3-571-6682!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JLC

Tinkerer

I can only tell you what the DetectionTool tells me :( I have SNID and Serial number ?
  • Have you pressed the fn + f3 keys?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JLC

Tinkerer

Hi there.

Yes I have tried that - but nothing happens. To be honest, that was one of the things which made me think this machine has inbuilt wifi. Why have a keyboard symbol for an unavailable feature ?

I've managed to get some pictures now which have more number in - maybe someone can help me ? Or point me to somewhere where there's a list of machines and specs ...
  • JLC

Tinkerer

Now I've got that longer number, it seems

that it should have WiFi *and* bluetooth.

Any reason why it doesn't, and there's no faulty hardware listed in device manager ?

BIOS is the one it shipped with - not been flashed or fiddled with ?

• Although they are models of the same family of notebooks, the notebook's settings may be different!
    It is possible that the drivers are not installed correctly! I suggest you submit a photo of the device manager:

Not to uninstall any driver! This photo is just a demonstration!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JLC

Tinkerer

OK, an update.

I trawled through the event log, and discovered entries about a wireless network connecting on an AR5BWB222 - so at one point in this machines life it definitely had that wireless card up & running.

As suggested, here's device manager - ignore the Belkin and Bluetooth entries - they are two USB dongles I am using for now.

Notice no missing drivers, and no faulty hardware ???????

• OK! It is likely that this card is hidden in the device manager:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JLC

Tinkerer

OK so opened up the case and found the card sitting there. So yes, this laptop did come with WiFi built in. And for whatever reason the card isn't working :(

The screen has been smashed (I'm using the machine via NoMachine remote login). Is it possible that a broken screen can stop the card working and remove it from device manager ?
  • Commodore_1995#
    edited December 2018
    I'm not sure! However the main and auxiliary cables that are plugged into the wifi card come from the monitor!
    Is any error code displayed?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JLC

Tinkerer

All working !!!!

Once I removed and reseated the card, Windows showed a faulty network adapter in device manager. Uninstalling and reinstalling the Atheros W7-64bit driver fixed it. As you can see !!

Many thanks for your patience in helping. Maybe this can help someone else ?

One last question is whether this adapter also does bluetooth ?? Because there's no sign it does.

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JLC

Tinkerer

egydiocoelho many thanks.

After some digging, i managed to install the latest drivers, and the system *thinks* Bluetooth is working. HOWEVER, trying to use it ... it doesn't. I can't seem to see any local devices (I have another laptop and 2 phones which can all see each other). Not sure if this is a Windows problem now. All the hardware seems present and (admittedly according to Windows) working.

• Is there a function key with the bluetooth symbol on the keyboard? Have you tried installing the driverbooster program to update the drivers?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Commodore_1995#
    edited December 2018
    The user apparently has a problem similar to yours!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JLC

Tinkerer

Function key cycles through WiFi + BT ON/ BT Off/WiFi Off (I think).

I'm not a massive fan of 3rd party "driver helper" programs.

There seems to be some chatter that a Windows Update (!) might have deleted all the BT profiles - which is why no connections can be made. The problem is the fix is to install the official Acer Drivers (which I have).

I might look to trying a Linux LiveCD and see if it can manage the BT. If it can, it's a Windows/Drivers problem. If it has the same issue, it's a machine problem.
  • JLC

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    All sorted.

Had to open the casing and actually eyeball the WiFi Card - turns out it's an Atheros AR5B22, which needed the drivers you can download from here:

Ignore the fact they are talking about the AR9462 (which was what Linux thought the card was :) )

I started by uninstalling all drivers and the WiFi network adapter, rebooting (of course) I then used Device Manager to install them by locate the non-working adapter and using "Update Driver" and pointing at the unzipped directory. Took a few seconds. Reboot (just to be sure) and now WiFi *and* Bluetooth are working.