System unexpectedly shuts down while operating Aspire A515-51G

zombiesingh
zombiesingh Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi,
I have been using Aspire A515-51G for over a yaer now. Since last two months, the system will suddenly shut down on its own. Then I have  to manually start it back up by pressing the power button. If the system is kept static at a place it doesn't happen, as soon as I move it, or a sudden movement or jerk to the system causes it to shut down.

I suspect some loose cable, or loose connection but I am not sure what to look for. The product is over a year old and it is out of its initial one year warranty period. Any suggestions on how to proceed , how to diagnose it and what to look for if I open my device. I have opened and repaired Dell Inspiron series laptops before.

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    If there is a loose connection I suspect it would be where the battery connects to the laptop. Before opening the laptop to look for loose cables/connections make sure all screws at the back of the laptop are screwed thightly(there are some screws at the back of the laptop and without them the laptop won't turn on). Usually, when the screws are not screwed enough the device won't turn on and maybe in same cases the device may keep working and maybe just maybe turn off when moved around.

If that doesn't work check the connections of the following components:
    -Battery
    -ram
    -storage device

Depending on the country you live in opening the device may void the warranty(except in the US). If you don't find anything wrong, then you should contact Acer.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    If there is a loose connection I suspect it would be where the battery connects to the laptop. Before opening the laptop to look for loose cables/connections make sure all screws at the back of the laptop are screwed thightly(there are some screws at the back of the laptop and without them the laptop won't turn on). Usually, when the screws are not screwed enough the device won't turn on and maybe in same cases the device may keep working and maybe just maybe turn off when moved around.

-Battery
    -ram
    -storage device

Depending on the country you live in opening the device may void the warranty(except in the US). If you don't find anything wrong, then you should contact Acer.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• zombiesingh
    ven98 said:

-Battery
    -ram
    -storage device

The warranty period was of 1 year only on this device. Opening it voids the warranty, but now no warranty is applicable right? Or does it matter?
  • ven98
    Oh, I missed the part where you mention it is out of warranty, sorry.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• zombiesingh
    Thanks @ven98 . Will do so and update if I found an issue.
  • marlo
    marlo Member Posts: 1 New User
    Just want to share something I found out this week-end.  My Acer Aspire suddenly started shutting down on its own, but nobody else could replicate it.  Computer tech son comes to visit, and discovers the magnet in my new Fitbit watchband was causing it. Quite the revelation