HELP! Aspire 7 A715-72G-79BH Memory Upgrade

Aaronax
Aaronax Member Posts: 3 New User
edited December 2018 in Aspire Laptops
I just purchased an Aspire 7 Laptop (A715-72G-79BH)
It comes standard with:
GeForce GTX 1050 4 GB GDDR5
Intel Core i7 8th Gen 8750H (2.20 GHz)
8 GB DDR4 2400 Memory 
1 TB HDD
Comes standard with 8gb of RAM and i'd like to upgrade it to 16Gb.

I'd like to use just a single stick of RAM and leave a slot open for an m.2 card in the future.

For the life of me I can not find any information about the RAM of this laptop. There are plenty of places selling ram for the A715-72G line, but they are selling both Single Ranked and Dual ranked.
Does it matter if I'm only using one stick?
Would it be better to run 2x8gb and forget the m.2, and if so, does it matter if its Single Ranked vs Dual Ranked?

I'll admit, my knowledge of RAM is limited, and these questions have arisen as a result of me trying to figure out what RAM to get.

This is what I THINK I should buy (it was suggested when i typed in the model of the laptop) - https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/aspire-a715-72g/CT12463062

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Also, i've flirted with the idea of upgrading to ddr4 2666. The same questions apply to that speed of memory as well.

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    Optane memory can not be installed in DDR4 memory slot, they both have different pin numbers and shape, Optane memory needs a M.2 slot, so you are free to use both slots or a single slot, it doesn't matter they are single ranked or dual ranked, as for the 2666MHz modules, go to Task manager, check the speed of the current module in memory tab and buy same speed RAM.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    Optane memory can not be installed in DDR4 memory slot, they both have different pin numbers and shape, Optane memory needs a M.2 slot, so you are free to use both slots or a single slot, it doesn't matter they are single ranked or dual ranked, as for the 2666MHz modules, go to Task manager, check the speed of the current module in memory tab and buy same speed RAM.

• Aaronax
    Aaronax Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited December 2018
    Hi,

Thanks for clearing that up.
    The link posted above in my original post, that memory will suffice? I don't really have a guideline for which memory to buy.
    Does having 2x8 benefit me over having 1x16?
    If i decided to upgrade from what it currently has (the speed of it), all modules need to have the same MHz? So if it has 8gb of ddr4 2400 right now, and i wanted 16g of 2666, i'd replace the existing, and then add another to match? (assuming of coarse that i went 2x8 of ddr4 2666)
  • Hi,
    Yes, you can either install a single 2666MHz module or 2x8GB, it doesn't matter nowadays as there are little difference between single channel and dual channel. 
  • UNDERFLO
    UNDERFLO Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hey, everybody!
    I own an Aspire 7 A715-72G-79BH and I do not know if it has M2 slot. I appreciate it very much if someone can tell me more about the upgrade. All the best!
  • Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,735 Pathfinder
    @UNDERFLO
    Yes, it has M2 slot
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • UNDERFLO
    UNDERFLO Member Posts: 2 New User
    YES.thank you
  • fahalam
    fahalam Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited February 2019
    Hi,
    Yes, you can either install a single 2666MHz module or 2x8GB, it doesn't matter nowadays as there are little difference between single channel and dual channel. 
    Hi, will my Acer Aspire a715 72g work with Samsung ddr4 2666mhz? I'll keep one existing 8 gb ddr4 2400mhz and install another 16gb Samsung's. Will it work fine?

Samsung 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666MHZ, 260 PIN SODIMM, 1.2V, CL 19 laptop ram memory module https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F6N8L3S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_lTYyCbAQW6W29
  • jhlugo
    jhlugo Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi, I just buy an Acer Aspire A715-72G-53F4. It comes with a 4 gb ram memory. I want to add in the second slot an 8 Gb ram to complete 12 Gb. Is this possible? If so which brand, type and speed of memory I have to buy? Thank you.
  • brummyfan2
    edited May 2019
    jhlugo said:
    Hi, I just buy an Acer Aspire A715-72G-53F4. It comes with a 4 gb ram memory. I want to add in the second slot an 8 Gb ram to complete 12 Gb. Is this possible? If so which brand, type and speed of memory I have to buy? Thank you.
    Hi,
    You could install CPU-z free program, run it and find the speed of your current module in SPD tab, then buy the module with matching speed, yes you can add another 8GB module to make the total memory of 12GB.
    https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
    https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/aspire-a715-72g
  • CreedAX
    CreedAX Member Posts: 1 New User
    IVE BOUGHT AN ACER ASPIRE 7 WHICH HAS 8GIGS OF RAM... BUT I AM GETTING ONLY 5GIGS FREE BUT BEFORE I USED TO GET 7.10 GB FREE SOMEBODY HELP ME PLS
  • Callistemon
    Callistemon Member Posts: 106 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    CreedAX said:
    IVE BOUGHT AN ACER ASPIRE 7 WHICH HAS 8GIGS OF RAM... BUT I AM GETTING ONLY 5GIGS FREE BUT BEFORE I USED TO GET 7.10 GB FREE SOMEBODY HELP ME PLS
    Where is this number from? If it is Task Manager, then it should be the small number to the upper right of the line chart, not the larger number in the middle underneath the composition bar. If it is the latter, then that is completely normal as memory usage is constantly changing and large memory capacities would never be needed if it was not.

• KZYa
    KZYa Member Posts: 1 New User
    I’m about to buy 

Acer Notebook Aspire A715-42G-R4KZ .

I wanna upgrade that laptop’s ram. Can I use ADATA brand DDR4 3200MHz 8G? Thanks
  • William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,084
    edited June 2022
    KZYa

Kindly go through the details which is captured from service manual designed for the computer. 

I would like to provide some additional info which will really help you. 

Kindly go through the details given below.  The info provided below will be very helpful to get the current memory and ssd details of your computer and the options to upgrade it.  

Please visit the website given below.  There is an option to  "start your scan "  and " select your computer " .  Please chose the options and try it.  It will show you the memory and SSD’s details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

It will tell you what you currently have and what you can add for memory and SSD's. 

Note: If you decide to buy you can always compare the prices by visiting other websites or stores and then you can decide.  We are providing the info of scan app just to show you the upgrade options.  You can even download similar scan apps from other memory upgrade websites too.          

To check the compatibility of ram which you can use on your computer.. Get CPUz and check it with that in SPD section of all the RAM and specs that you have, its a quick and simple way to check all OEM specs and what you have in your system. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★