Upgrading graphics for gaming in Predator G7750

greywind920
greywind920 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 15 in 2018 Archives
I currently have an AMD Radeon HD 6870 in a Predator G7750 and it always says it's half a gig short of being able to run most newer games and the ones it can run are often laggy or the framerate is nil. I need to upgrade but I am not sure what I can or should upgrade to with this desktop. I'd like to be able to run games like fallout 4 if that helps. Please explain it to me like I'm 5.

My specs are as follows:
  • Acer Predator G7750
  • AMD Radeon HD 6870
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz
  • 12.0GB Installed memory (RAM)
  • 64-bit operating system running Windows 7 Home premium with service pack 1
  • 4 processor cores
  • pc itself has 1 TB of memory

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Looks like you have the right ideas. You are maxed or close to it on CPU and RAM and there's nothing wrong with the video card except age. You have two full speed video slots, both x16 and have a hefty power supply to support them. Depending on your budget I'd look at the GeForce GTX 1070 or 1080 with or without the ti for a graphics upgrade, the 1060 is also an option if you're really budget minded. Depending on what monitor you have you may or may not be able to keep on using the same as you have. You are likely going DVI right now and the newer cards are going to want HDMI or DP. The other big upgrade I'd look at is a SSD for a boot drive. It's truly amazing how that boosts performance on older machines. Be aware that these two steps, GPU and SSD, are likely the last chance at a performance boost on this system, next time it'll be appropriate to start over.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.