Linux boot errors reported on A315-41-R2W5 laptop

mzimmerm
mzimmerm Member Posts: 9 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
On the latest Linux kernel 4.19.5-1, I get the following during boot on the AMD Ryzen based A315-41-R2W5 laptop

Dec 06 07:32:24 linux-ucad kernel: [Firmware Bug]: AMD-Vi: IOAPIC[4] not in IVRS table
Dec 06 07:32:24 linux-ucad kernel: [Firmware Bug]: AMD-Vi: IOAPIC[5] not in IVRS table
Dec 06 07:32:24 linux-ucad kernel: [Firmware Bug]: AMD-Vi: No southbridge IOAPIC found
Dec 06 07:32:24 linux-ucad kernel: AMD-Vi: Disabling interrupt remapping

The boot failed first time; after that it booted several times but the message still shows.

I assume this is a BIOS issue, but curious if anyone has any comments or help suggestions?

Thanks

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    OK. Disabling shouldn't affect 32-bit guests. As with most MS-oriented hardware, the kernel tweaks probably need more polishing to accomodate all the variants of the AMD implementation. It'll get there eventually.  :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Are you trying to install Linux alongside Win10 or llive boot from a stick? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mzimmerm
    Linux only, from SSD. I put in a new SSD and only installed and booting Linux from it (OpenSUSE Tumbleweed). BIOS set to UEFI. I googled out this is typically a not-so-good BIOS. I am hoping Acer will fix the BIOS in newer versions.
  • JackE
    Does your BIOS version number have an Advanced tab? If yes, what options are available?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mzimmerm
    I have already disabled AMD-IOMMU, which made the error go away. I do plan to use virtualization quite a lot, so I am not sure disabling would have negative effects. That is where I started to search for latter BIOS versions.

To answer the question though: Yes, the BIOS is InsydeH20, does have advanced tab, and BIOS is Rev 5.0
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    OK. Disabling shouldn't affect 32-bit guests. As with most MS-oriented hardware, the kernel tweaks probably need more polishing to accomodate all the variants of the AMD implementation. It'll get there eventually.  :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mzimmerm
    Thanks for commenting so quickly. Sounds like you are working on the BIOS (I guess you may not be able / allowed to answer for disclosures etc .. just curios :) )  . I will accept your answer as at this time there is nothing else i can do but disable. Thanks