How do I undervolt the CPU + GPU of the Helios 500 (AMD version)

Options
ACustomer1234
ACustomer1234 Member Posts: 33 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Any idea how to undervolt the CPU + GPU of the Helios 500 (AMD version w/Radeon 56)?

My goals are to lower the GPU by 100-400mhz, and lower the CPU by 100-400mhz, and thus lower the power requirements.

Any idea how I can do this?

Thanks

Answers

• ACustomer1234
    ACustomer1234 Member Posts: 33 Troubleshooter
    Options

I typed undervolt when what I really mean is to change the speed of.  I'm looking to change the max speed of the CPU + GPU, along with lowering the power requirements of each (undervolt).

Any idea how to do this?

Ryzen Master (for CPU) appears to have no way to change the actual Mhz of the CPU, whereas you can do this on Desktop processors (eg, Threadrippper).  Any idea if I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks
  • bobzdar
    bobzdar Member Posts: 42 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options

I typed undervolt when what I really mean is to change the speed of.  I'm looking to change the max speed of the CPU + GPU, along with lowering the power requirements of each (undervolt).

Any idea how to do this?

Ryzen Master (for CPU) appears to have no way to change the actual Mhz of the CPU, whereas you can do this on Desktop processors (eg, Threadrippper).  Any idea if I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks
    In Ryzen master you have to edit one of the profiles and then you can manually set the cpu speed to whatever you want, per core (up or down).  You can also manually set the voltage.

For the GPU, I'm able to adjust the clocks using Afterburner.  I was able to get mine up to 1450/900 and stay within the stock power envelope.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do by undervolting/underclocking - extend the battery life under load?  Neither of those adjustments will do anything if the cpu/gpu are at or close to idle, and you can force the cpu to stay close to idle in the power plan (and the gpu should only clock up to what is necessary to run what it's doing ie for watching videos it will minimally clock up, for gaming it will clock higher etc.).  By adjusting the power plan and minimizing screen brightness, I'm able to get around 2 hours of battery.  I don't think you'll be able to get much more than that, unfortunately.