What is happening to my gtx 1060

AceofSpadesEhsan
AceofSpadesEhsan Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have played Witcher 3 and Far Cry 5 at ultra in my acer predator helios 300 without any laggy or choppy frames previously, however recently i have downloaded Nvidia experience and my graphics driver was updated. Since then, any game i run, if the graphics mode is above normal then the game starts to be choppy and very unresponsive. Why?

Best Answers

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    In general, the best driver to use for your laptop is the one provided by the manufacturer (Acer). It is confusing, because both Windows and other third party software (GeForce Experience) will prompt you to "update" your drivers regularly.

You'll likely need to roll-back to your previous driver which was written specifically for your laptop. It is available for free on the Acer website, should you need it. The new driver you installed is clearly the issue here. If you use GeForce Experience to optimize your games, be sure to ignore the Driver update prompts.
  • ATR42
    ATR42 Member Posts: 54 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited December 2018 Answer ✓
    Ok running GTX 388.92 drivers fixed it in GR, back to normal 120 FPS. But BFv will not run with drivers older than 416.34 so im gonna try those now and report back.

Edit...
    Installed 416.34 and everything is fine. It must have been the most recent nvidia driver set that came out on Dec 2nd

Helios 500 . PH517-51-72NU . i7 8750H . GTX1070 . Evo 970 nvme

• AceofSpadesEhsan

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Ok so i just tested version 417.01 and everything is working fine now! Therefore it may be concluded that everything starting from 388.92 to 417.01 should be picture perfect. (Just an update)

Answers

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    In general, the best driver to use for your laptop is the one provided by the manufacturer (Acer). It is confusing, because both Windows and other third party software (GeForce Experience) will prompt you to "update" your drivers regularly.

You'll likely need to roll-back to your previous driver which was written specifically for your laptop. It is available for free on the Acer website, should you need it. The new driver you installed is clearly the issue here. If you use GeForce Experience to optimize your games, be sure to ignore the Driver update prompts.
  • AceofSpadesEhsan

Tinkerer

Yes i rolled back to the default driver and the issue was  fixed :D
  • ATR42
    edited December 2018
    Well im having the same problem with my Helios 500 GTX 1070. after this most recent nvida driver release on the DEC 2nd (or 3rd). I could easily run games 150FPS, now its crushed into the TEENS! im gonna try to reload the drivers from the Acer site and see if that gets this thing back to normal. (both battlefield V and Ghost Recon Wildlands)

• ATR42
    edited December 2018 Answer ✓
    Ok running GTX 388.92 drivers fixed it in GR, back to normal 120 FPS. But BFv will not run with drivers older than 416.34 so im gonna try those now and report back.

Edit...
    Installed 416.34 and everything is fine. It must have been the most recent nvidia driver set that came out on Dec 2nd

• AceofSpadesEhsan

Tinkerer

ATR42 said:

Edit...
    Buddy you are exactly right! Version 416.34 works just fine too! Its the crappy 417.22 that messes everything up!
  • AceofSpadesEhsan

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Ok so i just tested version 417.01 and everything is working fine now! Therefore it may be concluded that everything starting from 388.92 to 417.01 should be picture perfect. (Just an update)
  • ATR42
    Thank you for letting us know about 417, I will bump up to that