Does Nitro 5 (AN515-53-55G9) support ONLY Two Channel Stereo Output (No 5.1 audio?)

Options
jGecko
jGecko Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Question: Does Nitro 5  (AN515-53-55G9) support ONLY Two Channel Stereo Output (No 5.1 audio?)
How does one simply get 5.1 audio output to an external generic 5.1 audio playback device? I bought this unit because it made major claims regarding Dolby and the sound system, only to seemingly find all sorts of restrictions on just how this laptop connects to the outside world.
All I've been able to find after hours of examining the audio/video control options and pouring through online help including at this website...is that this laptop provides 2 channel output...ONLY. It may be "Dolby" but it's two channel Dolby, with emulation modes to render things like "spatial sound". Surely, a gaming laptop like the Nitro 5 can't be this limited?

I initially assumed that this being a late model laptop that it would have a standard digital 5.1 audio output configuration capability...like simply having the ability to assign the 3.5mm audio port as a digital audio output port needing a simple 3.5mm to coax (RCA) hardware adapter to provide 5.1 digital output connectivity.
I simply want to be able to connect digital audio 5.1 from the laptop to a generic home theater audio system...coax(RCA) or optical...whether or not I'm watching TV, streaming, playing a DVD/BluRay, etc...you know...the standard coax or optical input port (converted from a hardwire digital audio source) and have it actually be real 5.1 channels of sound...not 2 channels processed to emulate 5.1 channels.

I'd even take splitting the audio off the HDMI port if I had to, but so far after looking through the audio options, even AFTER I connected the HDMI output to an TV, and more configuration options "opened-up" in windows, and the TV has digital audio output (coax(RCA) connector for 5.1 home theater) I CAN FIND NO OPTIONS that allow me to actually configure the laptop for 5.1 speaker configuration, even WITH the TV plugged into the HDMI port of the Nitro 5.

Example:
I right-click on the speaker icon in the taskbar. Select "Speaker setup", which opens the "Sound" window. I select the TV (newly displayed option that popped-up when I connected the TV to the laptop's HDMI port). The TV option now shows that it is connected through "NVIDIA HIgh Definition Audio" (whereas the internal Speakers option for the laptop shows that when enabled they are connected using "Realtek High Definition Audio"
Then I click on "Configure"...and the ONLY option it shows is "stereo" (two channel). NO other selection listed at all...not even "greyed-out".  I click on "Test" button and of course the audio plays as expected through the TV and the home theater system connected to the TV...again...BUT IN STEREO only.

Answers

• jGecko

Tinkerer

Options
    I also expected to be able to connect the laptop true 5.1 audio to an external 5.1 sound system whether I was watching on the laptop's built-in display or on an external display.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>> I bought this unit because it made major claims regarding Dolby and the sound system >>>

Do you have an ACER link to this surround sound claim? The only thing I can find is 'virtual' as in 'simulated'. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jGecko

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Do you have an ACER link to this surround sound claim? The only thing I can find is 'virtual' as in 'simulated'. Jack E/NJ
    ------------------------------

From Acer itself ?...I don't believe so. just lots of "Premium Dolby Sound" and similar wording in the specs and promotional material that STRONGLY suggests it's absolutely amazing new sound for gaming (where direction of footsteps and weapons-fire, and approaching aircraft/vehicles, etc is critical) and not just 40-year-old blah computer stereo tech. "Enhanced" 2.0 cannot provide the spatial information that 5.0/5.1 can provide no matter how or with what you "enhance" it.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>it's two channel Dolby, with emulation modes to render things like "spatial sound">>>

Emulation = virtual = simulated. That's how I interpreted vendor ads, reviews & specs that I found in my search. If however you feel your vendor/seller advertised installed hardware that in fact wasn't installed, then the seller should install this hardware or refund your money.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ