Getting BIOS/Firmware updates from Device Manager.

XdxD
XdxD Member Posts: 1,583 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
SO, I have been getting BIOS updates from Device Manager. Latest I got (1.21 today) is the same in Acer's site. Is it safe?
Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    OK! I know there is a firmware upgrade option in Device Manager! However, those who download the updates are windows update! There are no differences between the firmware downloaded by windows update and those that are released by Acer!
    Check here also the motherboard firmware version:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• What is the exact model of your notebook? Example v3-571!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • XdxD
    What is the exact model of your notebook? Example v3-571!
    G3-572.
  • The device manager does not update bios, it just updates the drivers! However Microsoft is releasing some firmware updates to fix the specter and meltdown and also the tpm chip through windows update! Version 1.21 is the last one released by Acer!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• XdxD
    edited December 2018
    The device manager does not update bios, it just updates the drivers! However Microsoft is releasing some firmware updates to fix the specter and meltdown and also the tpm chip through windows update! Version 1.21 is the last one released by Acer!
    I started getting these firmware updates from BIOS 1.13 which updated to 1.14 and now 1.21. You can see that in firmware presented by Microsoft. Haven't found any informatin of BIOS being updated through Device Manager though. Also, in driver tab of its properties, name is Insyde Software.

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    OK! I know there is a firmware upgrade option in Device Manager! However, those who download the updates are windows update! There are no differences between the firmware downloaded by windows update and those that are released by Acer!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• XdxD

Well, if both are same, then I am worry free. Btw, 1.14 was updated via Windows Update though.
  • Can you tap a cute piece of system information so I can see the bios version?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• XdxD
    Can you tap a cute piece of system information so I can see the bios version?
    Since you asked for cute piece of system information, here it is with Care Centre's too.

• Great! This indicates that your model has the latest bios available from Acer  :) 

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• XdxD
    Great! This indicates that your model has the latest bios available from Acer  :) 
    Nice then.
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• XdxD
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    1.20 still working fine here no issues at all and I just updated from 1.19 when I got it (just because) I never had issues with it either 😊

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Deejay_tech
    Deejay_tech Member Posts: 356 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    The firmware in device manager  and the system bios are totally different things.

you cannot update your bios through the device manager.

to update the system bios you have to download the bios file from Acer support page and run it.

firmware version in device manager does not affects the system much, if at all.
    My personal Acer m/c's
    1) Gaming: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
    Config:Core i5 8300H, 16GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1050ti GPU

2) Daily Use: Acer Aspire A315-53  59GR
    Config: Core i5 8250u, 8GB, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, IPS FHD 

3) Linux Learning: Acer Aspire A315-53 P4MY
    Config: Pentium Gold 4417U, 8 GB, 256 SSD, 500GB HDD.
  • Wrong @Deejay_tech Currently windows update can update bios or uefi via firmware driver. This driver does update bios or uefi. 

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Deejay_tech
    Deejay_tech Member Posts: 356 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited July 2019
    oh !! is it. i did not know it. i always update my bios by manual method. with the usual acer warning of keeping the charger connected and 40 or 50% battery charged. and then it reboots and flashes the bios 'before' windows loads.
    My personal Acer m/c's
    1) Gaming: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
    Config:Core i5 8300H, 16GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1050ti GPU

2) Daily Use: Acer Aspire A315-53  59GR
    Config: Core i5 8250u, 8GB, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, IPS FHD 

3) Linux Learning: Acer Aspire A315-53 P4MY
    Config: Pentium Gold 4417U, 8 GB, 256 SSD, 500GB HDD.
  • In addition, windows itself should check the power condition and battery capacity to update the bios successfully, as this driver can update the bios even if the notebook is not connected to the power adapter. I know that, because when I went to update this driver, I was using the notebook on battery power only and I ended up restarting the computer. When I restarted the computer, I was startled because the bios was up to date on the Acer logo and with a green progress bar without being connected to the power adapter.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer