Why is Radeon Chill function missing? Nitro 5 AN-515-42

RegosGabor
RegosGabor Member Posts: 25 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi! I recently updated the gpu driver onmy Acer Nitro 5 AN-515-42. (Vega 8 and RX560X) I noticed that the Radeon Chill function is missing in the Radeon Settings application. I already tried reinstalling the driver. Anyone got a fix for this? 

Best Answer

• dclanz
    dclanz Member Posts: 112 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    I second what @tobimaru says. The Chill function is only available from the original driver or the Acer driver available from Microsoft a this point in time. 

If a post helps or answers your question, be sure to hit the like button so the poster knows they were helpful.
    Try using the search function before posting, as your question may have been asked and resolved before.
    Be sure to check out my Acer An515-42 Clean Install Guide.

Answers

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    As far as I understand it, you won't get this feature with the generic driver update.

Your original driver was specific to your laptop model and included the Chill function. You then updated to a newer generic driver, without this feature.

I'd recommend rolling back to your original driver to get the Chill function back. If you've already tried that let us know! I don't have a lot of experience on the AMD/Radeon side of things, but I have had similar experiences with nVidia driver updates and losing specific features.
  • dclanz
    dclanz Member Posts: 112 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    I second what @tobimaru says. The Chill function is only available from the original driver or the Acer driver available from Microsoft a this point in time. 

If a post helps or answers your question, be sure to hit the like button so the poster knows they were helpful.
    Try using the search function before posting, as your question may have been asked and resolved before.
    Be sure to check out my Acer An515-42 Clean Install Guide.