Aspire T3-605 desktop - F12 key not working!?

marklyn
marklyn Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 1 in 2018 Archives
Having an issue with my T3-605 desktop.  I've got the original CMOS (can't find a newer one), and I even reloaded it to see if that fixes my issue, it doesn't.
The F12 key never brings up boot menu.
I've got Secure Boot off and CSM=always...  The del key gets me into CMOS but F12 boot menu never comes up, even though it's turned on in CMOS.
I even tried a new keyboard, so it's not that either.
Any suggestions on what to try so I can boot from a USB would be helpful and if anyone can point me to the latest BIOS, maybe I can try that.
Would I need to load each new bios up to the point of the current one, or is a current BIOS cumulative?
Thanks

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Try disabling both fast boot and quiet boot to see if that gives you a little more time to hit the F12. You can also just select the proper boot device priority in the BIOS, but F12 is more convenient when working.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Complementing your @billsey colleague's response, you may not be able to boot the f12 key, as fast boot is active in bios and power options in windows 10! Activate the boot menu and disable fast boot like this:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • marklyn
    billsey said:
    Try disabling both fast boot and quiet boot to see if that gives you a little more time to hit the F12. You can also just select the proper boot device priority in the BIOS, but F12 is more convenient when working.
    There is no fast boot in my version of BIOS, that is one of the reasons why I tried finding a newer version but so far the newest I've found is from 2013, which I have.  The F12 boot menu option is enabled though.  I also did try the quiet boot but that doesn't seem to help either.  I have no idea why my F12 is not working, it's weird. I know it's not the keyboard since I tried another.  I also can get into CMOS by holding down the del at turn on but F12 key won't work for nothing! Any more ideas would be appreciated!
  • billsey
    So your BIOS doesn't match what's documented (as shown in egydiocoelho's post above)? I wonder if they changed the key at the same time... Try F11 and F10 to see if one will give you the boot menu.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • marklyn
    No, my bios is for a desktop, I think his is for a laptop so the bios settings may differ a bit. I've cycled through all of the Fkeys and none of them make a bit of difference. So frustrating!
  • billsey
    No, his post reflects what I saw in the Service Manual for your model. It's an AMI BIOS, but likely the version shipped is newer than the -xx version in the manual. It should have had the options for both fast and quiet boot and you'd want to turn both off to maximize the time where you can hit the key, as well as turn the Boot Menu option on.
  • marklyn
    I do have fast and quiet turned off and F12 boot menu option turned on... You're right that give me more time to try other F keys but alas none work. I've also had no luck trying to find a new bios, but not finding one newer than the version I have from 2013.  I figure if there was a new bios that would probably fix the issue and I also tried reloading my old bios but that didn't make a difference either.
  • marklyn
    Holy *****! I just figured it out. I looked at EVERY key on my MS Keyboard and noticed one that said F-Lock.  I never ever noticed that key before. It appears that if I hold that key down and press a F key, that is what allows that F key to be used (during bootup anyway). I have been toying with this for weeks. But it was your comment, billsey, to try the other F keys that got me looking at ALL of the keys, so thanks for that!!!
  • Glad you could figure out the solution to the problem!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    Heheh, I had a laptop that was setup that way a couple of years ago, forgot all about it. You had to press the Fn key to actually get a function key. Every other one I've had is just the opposite, the Fn key give you that non-function key result.