Swift 3 SF314-54-55S5 slot for extra SSD?

Options
DanD
DanD Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi there, another SDD adding/upgrading question, but for a model number I've not seen elsewhere on the forum. I'd like to buy a Swift 3 SF314-54-55S5 from PC World (UK). It comes with 256GB SSD storage, but I would like to add another 256GB SDD drive to give me 512GB total storage. I'd just like to find out whether this is possible, and how to go about doing it? Does this model have the extra slot that is required? I would be happy to go for adding any M.2 or 2.5" etc SSD, whatever works. I'll just need the extra space. Are there other cables or connectors required to do this, or would the extra SSD just slot in somewhere inside? I'm a newbie to this so sorry for any idiocy on my part!

The part number is NX.GXZEK.004 if that helps. Cheers :)

Best Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes, you can add another SSD(256GB), you may have to buy a bracket, cable and some screws, you will be able to buy the cable and bracket online but for screws you may have to try getting from a Laptop repair shop or any hardware store. I have included some pictures to give you a rough idea of the inside layout.
    HDD bracket Part number:60.GXKN1.002
    HDD cable Part number:450.0E70A.0001
    4 screws to attach SSD to the bracket: size M3xL4      Part number:86.9A524.4R0
    4 screws to attach the SSD assembly to the main body: size M2xL3.5      part number:86.V7MN1.002

• brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @DanD
    The pictures show the removal instructions, you have to do the reverse, when you remove the back cover you will find the empty space.
    Place the SSD in the bracket and secure it with 4 screws, then connect the SATA cable and place the bracket assembly in the empty space and secure it with 4 screws, fold the sticky tapes(blue rectangles in the first snip) and attach to the bracket, connect the FFC cable to the motherboard.
    Use an anti static wrist band to avoid any static electric damage to the motherboard, it's very rare but at least ground yourself properly and avoid touching internal parts unnecessarily.
    You have to remove 9screws at the bottom cover, use a plastic prying tool or a credit card to release the tabs without breaking them, lift off the back cover to access the SSD bay.

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You also have the option to replace the current ssd with another of 512gb, see:

But in this situation, you would have to first clone the 256gb ssd to an external or internal hd and then clone again from hd to 512gb ssd!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes, you can add another SSD(256GB), you may have to buy a bracket, cable and some screws, you will be able to buy the cable and bracket online but for screws you may have to try getting from a Laptop repair shop or any hardware store. I have included some pictures to give you a rough idea of the inside layout.
    4 screws to attach the SSD assembly to the main body: size M2xL3.5      part number:86.V7MN1.002

• DanD
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @brummyfan2 you're a hero, thank you so much! Extremely helpful. Couple of newbie follow up questions, just to clarify:

1) Am I right in thinking that my only option to add a further SSD is the 2.5" SATA Bay? There's no second slot for a little m.2 SDD or anything?

2) Would the 2.5" SSD have to satisfy any particular conditions? The M screws I guess, but anything else? Would this Crucial MX500 work for example? http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/ct250mx500ssd1

3) In terms of getting it up and running, I just get the parts, screw it all in and plug the cable in, and it'll automatically be ready to use when the laptop starts up?

4) How do you know about the model in this level of helpful detail!? I can't even find a proper manual online!

Cheers, Dan

• brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi @DanD
    You are most welcome :) 
    1.That's correct, only option is to add a 2.5" SSD and you have only one M.2 slot available.
    2.Yes, the crucial SSD will be fine.
    3.Yes, once you install the SSD, it will be detected automatically.
    4.I have the access to Service manual which is not available online for users.
  • DanD
    Options
    @brummyfan2 ok great, thanks, I will try it! I am a little nervous about it though, as I've never done anything like it before. Is there any chance you could show me the relevant part of the service manual, or is there anywhere else I might be able to find a copy of it? I understand there may not be, just having some detailed instructions written down would make it less likely I'll mess up! I'm a complete newbie. That tin-foil looking thing with the red arrow in your pictures for example, is that something to be lifted up to put the SDD underneath, and then put back down over it afterwards?

Cheers, Dan
  • brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @DanD
    The pictures show the removal instructions, you have to do the reverse, when you remove the back cover you will find the empty space.
    Place the SSD in the bracket and secure it with 4 screws, then connect the SATA cable and place the bracket assembly in the empty space and secure it with 4 screws, fold the sticky tapes(blue rectangles in the first snip) and attach to the bracket, connect the FFC cable to the motherboard.
    Use an anti static wrist band to avoid any static electric damage to the motherboard, it's very rare but at least ground yourself properly and avoid touching internal parts unnecessarily.
    You have to remove 9screws at the bottom cover, use a plastic prying tool or a credit card to release the tabs without breaking them, lift off the back cover to access the SSD bay.

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You also have the option to replace the current ssd with another of 512gb, see:

But in this situation, you would have to first clone the 256gb ssd to an external or internal hd and then clone again from hd to 512gb ssd!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • DanD
    Options
    Thanks guys, this helps! :)
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    You're Welcome! Accept our answers so that other users can see the solution!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• davbiv
    davbiv Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi all,
    I recently bought an Acer Swift 3, model SF314-54G-59AL (4+4G of RAM, 256G SSD M.2, nVidia Mx150) and I'd like to add a SATA 3 SSD. 
    This thread really explained me everything (thx!), but unfortunately I cannot find the items required for the upgrade (cod. 450.0E70A.0001 and cod. 60.GXKN1.002).
    Instead, I found the items for the 15" version (SF315): cod. 50.GSLN5.006 and cod. 33.GSLN5.004.
    Except for the HDD Cover Bracket (cod. 3.GSLN5.004) that maybe differs, are you aware of any difference about the cables? (I mean 50.GSLN5.006 vs 450.0E70A.0001) Because, from my point of view, they look the same.

Thanks in advance for the support.

• Ultinio
    Ultinio Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi everyone,
    Helpful post, it mentions we can buy those parts online, but like davbiv above, it seems I cannot find any place to buy the HDD cable Part number 450.0E70A.0001.
    Can anyone suggest a place ?
    Thx
  • anitarotto
    anitarotto Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I'm from Canada and recently bought SF314-54 Swift3 but also can't find following parts on any of Canadian website. pls advice 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Ideally you create a new topic @anitarotto! This way your question will be visible to other users. Call me by putting the @ before my name!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer