Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Predator G9-791: Black screen when starting games

jaypredatorjaypredator Posts: 2Member New User
edited November 2018 in Predator Laptops
Hi all! New to this forum. I've really enjoyed gaming on my G9-791 for a while. But recently I've run into trouble.

When I launch games such as Cities:Skylines, the game will start, music running in the background but the screen is black. Same goes for other games, such as Planet Coaster and Cossacks 3. I tried running Planet Coaster and Cities solely from the Intel chipset, and the games did start (with bad graphics, of course..). My Nvidia drivers are up to date, so is Windows 10.

What should I do? I've tried to look into the nVidia control panel and tweak the settings but it has not helped!

Best Answer

• jaypredatorjaypredator Posts: 2 New User
    Accepted Answer
    Found the answer! Needed to reinstall an old version of the Intel chipset drivers (the old drivers available at Acers homepage).

FAQ & Answers

• asad814asad814 Posts: 344Member Seasoned Practitioner
    Uninstall latest nvidia drivers and try the old one which was working....like 388.11
  • jaypredatorjaypredator Posts: 2Member New User
    Accepted Answer
    Found the answer! Needed to reinstall an old version of the Intel chipset drivers (the old drivers available at Acers homepage).
  • SquishyMuffinSquishyMuffin Posts: 22Member Troubleshooter
    The answer to this question also applies to any trouble you're having with streaming software issues. Black screens in OBS or Nvidia's Geforce Experience overlay (alt+z) not opening when in a game etc. Also, the Epic Games Launcher wouldn't open properly and games would only run using the integrated chip.

I decided to see, at first, if the iGPU was fully updated via device manager. After that, I went onto Intel's website and downloaded the latest pack - though upon installing it stopped and told me I couldn't continue because it wont be/or hasn't been approved by the manufacturer (Acer). I proceeded to then go onto Acer's website and see what their latest drivers were for Intel. Turned out I had a later version installed. After effectively 'rolling back' to what Acer recommends/has evidently tested, all weird Laptop Optimus problems are fixed. I then came across this thread and post this incase it helps anyone else.