Acer Predator Helios 500 (i7-8750H version) PCH temperature issue

Options
PoltergeistX
PoltergeistX Member Posts: 6 New User
Hello,

my idle PCH temperature is 80°C. While gaming it is 96°C (1.16 bios, without cool boost). 
Cool boost can decrease both by 4-5°C. Anyway I think its too much.
I am using cooling pad. Outer air flow is perfect, notebook is new, room temp 18-20°C. 
Used HWiNFO software to check temps. 

Is it normal temperature? What is your idle and load temps of PCH? 
(there is not much info about this problem on internet)

Thank you

Answers

• mankvl
    mankvl Member Posts: 51 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hello,

my idle PCH temperature is 80°C. While gaming it is 96°C (1.16 bios, without cool boost). 
    Cool boost can decrease both by 4-5°C. Anyway I think its too much.
    I am using cooling pad. Outer air flow is perfect, notebook is new, room temp 18-20°C. 
    Used HWiNFO software to check temps. 

Is it normal temperature? What is your idle and load temps of PCH? 
    (there is not much info about this problem on internet)

Thank you
    Where do you find it in HWiNFO i don't see PCH. 
  • vanadium
    vanadium Member Posts: 68 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Mine runs around 44°C on normal usage (web, software development). As the chipset mostly heats when using the Nvme ssd, check there is no application heavily using the disk like anti-virus or windows indexation.
  • PoltergeistX
    Options
    Yes, Nvme ssd has 2 temperature sensors. 
    1. - 45°C +/- 3
    2. - 70°C +/- 5 (too high?)

When ssd is in use, PCH temp rise. 

I checked which processes use ssd the most. It´s mostly system. Turned off comodo firewall, indexation. Temperature decreased by 5°C on average. 
    Anyway its still too high. 

Is possible that Nvme ssd is placed near pch chipset? 
  • vanadium
    Options
    It's not. you are confusing SSD temperature and PCH temperature. My NVMe drive is running at 35°C (20°C ambient).
  • PoltergeistX
    Options
    vanadium said:
    It's not. you are confusing SSD temperature and PCH temperature. My NVMe drive is running at 35°C (20°C ambient).
    Nope. I will upload screenshot of temperatures later. 

Idle temperatures without cool boost:
    SSD - 70°C
    PCH - 80°C 
    CPU and GPU 35-40°C. 

It is not normal. 
  • PoltergeistX
    edited November 2018
    Options
    with cool boost ON. On cooling pad.

Columns: Current, Min., Max., Average

• vanadium
    Options
    Why don't you look for software using the SSD excessively? That's the only reason I see.
  • PoltergeistX
    Options
    vanadium said:
    Why don't you look for software using the SSD excessively? That's the only reason I see.
    Look. I have setup notebook for max performance. 
    90% of W10 features are disabled. I have Uninstalled everything useless programs and features preinstalled by microsoft and acer.
    I have installed only comodo firewall (start on startup) and steam (delayed start).
    Problem is that i just turn on Notebook, log in Windows, turn on HWiNFO (to see temps) and i can see how temperature of SSD and PCH is increasing to sky... 

Okay, lets see what apps using the SSD excessively. Its just System precesses using SSD by 0,1% occasionally. Thats all. 
    I think this is hardware problem :/ 
  • vanadium
    Options
    Can you try to run it with Ubuntu for example? then install lm-sensors and check the readings. You probably only need to run the live cd to do this (so no install on disk necessary). This will help understand if it's hardware or software issue. But, my guess is Windows has something wrong (maybe something related to thermal management)
  • Alex84
    Alex84 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options
    vanadium said:

SSD - 70°C
    PCH - 80°C 
    CPU and GPU 35-40°C. 

It is not normal. 

No way in hell your Helios 500 with a 8750H runs at 35 without repasting, mine ran at 55 out of the box but hotel hero saved me
  • PoltergeistX
    Options
    Alex84 said:
    vanadium said:

SSD - 70°C
    PCH - 80°C 
    CPU and GPU 35-40°C. 

It is not normal. 

No way in hell your Helios 500 with a 8750H runs at 35 without repasting, mine ran at 55 out of the box but hotel hero saved me
    Yes it is :) 
    I have changed voltage offset to -0.170mV for cpu and cpu cache. Turbo multiplier set on 31 for all cores. (It is super stable).
    There is no throttling, no temperature spikes under load. For example PUBG(using cpu a lot) on ULTRA - 90-110fps, 70°C MAX. 

Default settings of CPU was horrible.
  • fejerm
    fejerm Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I have just gave a detailed answer with benchmark results and a link to BIOS 1.06 which can be flashed over 1.16.
    Why was the comment removed? Was it because it contained a file which has not been officially checked by Acer ? 
  • mankvl
    mankvl Member Posts: 51 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Alex84 said:
    vanadium said:

SSD - 70°C
    PCH - 80°C 
    CPU and GPU 35-40°C. 

It is not normal. 

I have changed voltage offset to -0.170mV for cpu and cpu cache. Turbo multiplier set on 31 for all cores. (It is super stable).
    There is no throttling, no temperature spikes under load. For example PUBG(using cpu a lot) on ULTRA - 90-110fps, 70°C MAX. 

Do you use throttle stop? I tryed 1.7 undevolt but system was not stable when playing games, basic net browsing was ok. Does changing multiplier to 31 make system more stable? Or XTU can change that? What about P1 and P2? 

fejerm said:
    I have just gave a detailed answer with benchmark results and a link to BIOS 1.06 which can be flashed over 1.16.
    Why was the comment removed? Was it because it contained a file which has not been officially checked by Acer ? 
    Can you pm me the link? If 1.16 is worse then 1.06 I would like to flash back to it :)
  • Qosmio
    Qosmio Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Options
    mankvl said:
    Alex84 said:
    vanadium said:

SSD - 70°C
    PCH - 80°C 
    CPU and GPU 35-40°C. 

It is not normal. 

Do you use throttle stop? I tryed 1.7 undevolt but system was not stable when playing games, basic net browsing was ok. Does changing multiplier to 31 make system more stable? Or XTU can change that? What about P1 and P2? 

fejerm said:
    Can you pm me the link? If 1.16 is worse then 1.06 I would like to flash back to it :)
    My Helios 500 came with 1.14 bios version. Than my idle PCH temperature was 53 C. After i flashed over to 1.16 bios. My idle PCH temperature is 62-64 C. 
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Options
    How many peripherals do you have connected to your laptop?
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Options
    This may seem totally random but try this.

While the laptop is on battery put it to sleep.
    While in sleep connect the AC cable and turn back on then check temps.
    - Hotel Hero
  • patm
    patm Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    The PCH temperature on my helios 500 is also quite high.

I changed both m2 disks to nvme variants and attached an external device to the thunderbolt port. Under heavy usage of the nvme disks (disk temps are ok) the PCH temperature goes over 100C and approx. at 105C the laptop powers off itself.

Only solution I found is to set the fan mode to maximum for CPU und GPU. That way PCH temp stays at around 80C.

• aaronk21
    aaronk21 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi all,

I managed to fix my PCH Diode Overheating issue.
    It's the same as specified in this thread, one day my helios 500 starting dying out of know-where and it turns out the PCH Diode was hitting 105 degrees and the laptop would instantly turn off. I initially could only get around via using the fan on max setting 24/7, an external cooling pad for the laptop did nothing.

So I ended up uninstalling software from my laptop I did not need, CC Cleaner was one of those and since I uninstalled and rebooted, my Diode idles around 55 on fans on auto and peaks around 68 degrees during gameplay. Looks like this might be software related. I can't vouch if it was CC cleaner or something else, I just got rid of everything I found that wasn't needed. I recommend you try uninstalling software or worst case, reset laptop. You might be surprised that it fixes your issue like I did.

P.S - my laptop is over 3 years old

Goodluck