How do I make a high pitched noise from my XF270HU monitor go away?

XF270HU
XF270HU Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 21 in 2020 Archives
My XF270HU is emitting a high pitched noise from the back, in the area of the signal cables. It's also making a slight buzzing sound, but that doesn't bother me since I can only hear it when putting my ear next to the monitor.
Changing frequency and playing around with brightness doesn't solve the problem.
It's connected to my PC via a DP cable. Detaching the cable from the monitor doesn't solve the problem.
The sound stops when I turn off the monitor by pressing the on/off button on the front, in the bottom right corner.
I've had the monitor for over a year and I think that the sound has always been there, but didn't realize it was coming from my monitor until today.

Please let me know if there's any other useful information I can provide.

Best Answer

• Purplepiano
    Purplepiano Member Posts: 1 New User
    Answer ✓
    Hey all, there is a known fix for most monitor models that come pre-equipped with a soundsource internally. Most of the time, the internal power will always run through the pcb inside the monitor to the speaker(s) unless you set the volume to '0' in the menu. This should take care of the 18khz pitch these monitors deliver with. Let me know if this works for anyone else, it did for me.

Answers

• XF270HU
    Since this thread isn't getting any replies, I'll send the monitor in for repair.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,683 Trailblazer
    Please let us know what they find. I didn't have any idea what it could be...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Sam257
    Sam257 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have the exact same problem, hopefully someone sees this and can provide a fix or OP can tell me if it got fixed?
  • XF270HU
    I sent it in for repair twice. Both times they told me they didn't detect anything and that it was within spec. The whole process took several months, but I eventually got a refund.
    I then bought an AOC AGON AG271QX, which had a slight buzzing sound. It wasn't as annoying as the Acer monitor, but I still decided to get a refund on principle. Then I bought a Samsung CHG70. It makes no noise and has no problems, so I'm still using it to this day.
  • Sam257
    Sam257 Member Posts: 2 New User
    XF270HU said:
    I sent it in for repair twice. Both times they told me they didn't detect anything and that it was within spec. The whole process took several months, but I eventually got a refund.
    I then bought an AOC AGON AG271QX, which had a slight buzzing sound. It wasn't as annoying as the Acer monitor, but I still decided to get a refund on principle. Then I bought a Samsung CHG70. It makes no noise and has no problems, so I'm still using it to this day.
    ***** that sucks. I've figured out the whine goes away when lowering the refresh rate but that was one of the reasons I bought the monitor in the first place. It can't even function quietly at 120hz. The fact I have tinnitus only makes it worse.
    I'll try send it in for repair on the warranty but I'm SOL for a refund as it was a refurb. Shame as it's a really nice looking monitor.
  • Purplepiano
    Purplepiano Member Posts: 1 New User
    Answer ✓
    Hey all, there is a known fix for most monitor models that come pre-equipped with a soundsource internally. Most of the time, the internal power will always run through the pcb inside the monitor to the speaker(s) unless you set the volume to '0' in the menu. This should take care of the 18khz pitch these monitors deliver with. Let me know if this works for anyone else, it did for me.
  • Hatouchu
    Hatouchu Member Posts: 1 New User
    This is the fix. Was worried i'd have to return my monitor. I didn't even think about the speakers but when I checked on the OSD the volume was set to 70. Anything above 0 would cause a high pitched ringing sound. I just set it to 0 and no more headaches!