Acer Predator Helios 500 - Wave MaxxAudio installation after format and fresh windows re-install

Razamax
Razamax Member Posts: 45 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

Has anybody formatted their Acer Predator Helios 500 PH517-51 (i7-8750 version) and installed a fresh clean copy of Windows 10 on it?

If yes, then how did you manage to get Wave MaxxAudio back? The Waves driver package on Acer's website does not contain an executable? The Realtek drivers package on Acer's website contains a folder named Waves, under third party software, but when you install the RealTek driver, Waves does not get installed. Windows 10 automatically downloads Waves MaxxAudio app after a while, but all controls on the app are disabled, because the app says it could not find any supported audio device, which I am assuming is their way of saying that they could not find a valid license. So I assume that I have to use the drivers provided by Acer to get the license.

So, how do I get Waves MaxxAudio back from just the drivers available on Acers website on a clean freshly installed Windows 10?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

~Raza

Best Answer

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,465 Trailblazer
    Part of the problem is that the Microsoft generic Win10 version system files that you clean installed are not quite the same as the ACER-flavored Win10 version specific to your machine. If you formatted the system partitions to clean install generic Win10, the MAXX app specific to your ACER flavored realtek audio device is gone unless of course you made a system image or recovery USB before doing so. If you also let the generic installation wipe the hidden ACER-flavored recovery partition and replace it with the generic recovery, then without an ACER image or recovery stick the only practical option may be to purchase the ACER recovery stick based on your machine's serial number id (SNID). About $46 from the ACER store https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/   Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Razamax
    @JackE, Thanks for the response.

I actually switched to Win 10 pro and I wanted a clean install. And I did install the Realtek drivers available on Acers website, and the audio is working fine. Acer also provides the Waves MaxxAudio drivers, but they are just a bunch of files with no executable available to run an installation. There are no instructions available too, so I am not sure what to do in this case. I played around by installing different .inf files from the driver folder and somehow ended up messing the audio, so I could not hear anything from the speakers.

I managed to fix that by restoring the image I made of the fresh install of Windows 10 pro.

I have an image of the system when I first turned it on, so I can always restore back to that state, but that will install windows 10 home, which I do not want. I also created a factory restore usb disk, but that too will restore the windows 10 home.

I am just frustrated that Acer will make a simple thing as installing drivers so difficult. All they had to do was to include some instructions with the drivers, on how to properly reinstall them, in case someone decided to install a fresh copy of windows after a format.

Did no one here install a fresh copy of windows 10 on their Helios 500? Because if they did, they probably know what files to install and in what order to get both the RealTek audio and Wave MaxxAudio working.
  • kashifali
    kashifali Member Posts: 31 Troubleshooter
     Acer Predator Helios 500 PH517-51 (i7-8750 version) and installed a fresh clean copy of Windows 10 on it? yes I also deleted The Original Window 10 accidentally you need digital license linked to your microsoft account window 10 to play app waves maxxaudio another app

• fejerm
    fejerm Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited November 2018
    Just install a clean WIndows 10, there wont be any problems, Maxx Audio will automatically download and install to your system from the UWP store, you dont even need to log in to the store. 
  • koj_o
    koj_o Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

I got my helios 500 with linuks as OS. First thing i did was clean install win 10 pro. I downloaded all drivers from official acer driver page...and got everything working just fine. If you don't have .exe try to install it via device manager
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,465 Trailblazer
    Razamax  Thank you for your solution report. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mankvl
    mankvl Member Posts: 51 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Razamax did you use your Microsoft account or created a local account? I just did a clean install of windows 10 home with local windows 10 user and had this problem also predatorsence installed from like third try, connecting to my M$ acc fixed all. 
  • Razamax

No I did not create a microsoft account, either before or after the fresh windows install. I was just doing everything locally. Are you saying that having a microsoft account would fix all these licensing issues? I will try it next time I do a fresh windows 10 install.

• mankvl
    mankvl Member Posts: 51 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Razamax said:

No I did not create a microsoft account, either before or after the fresh windows install. I was just doing everything locally. Are you saying that having a microsoft account would fix all these licensing issues? I will try it next time I do a fresh windows 10 install.

Yes, but I had my acc linked with this laptop when I set it up for the first time, dunno how it would go for you, maybe with ms acc there is some more update scans, when I install win10 with local acc there was far less auto apps being installed, when with ms acc it started to download waves and all other apps from ms store. 
  • Lemi
    Lemi Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

I just managed to get it back. I went to the Microsoft Store and typed "waves". The result is Waves Maxxaudio for Fujitsu but it works fine on PH517-61
    I hope this helps.
  • dannynowthen
    dannynowthen Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi, I've got exactly the same issue but when I go to the Acer support site and download the files the ones you mention aren't present. Does anyone have a direect link to them please? Thanks in advance Danny
    Razamax said:

1. When you boot into windows, first install the RealTek audio drivers from Acer that are in a folder named "Audio_Realtek_6.0.1.8485_W10x64_A".
    2. After that go to the folder "Audio_Waves_1.0.31.0_W10x64_A" and install the following files by double clicking on them, in the following order:
    3. Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.3_1.3.24201.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.appx
    4. Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.4_1.4.24201.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.appx
    5. 4c1aab4abaaa4f81aac14cc4e712bf57.appxbundle
    6. The above steps will install the RealTek Drivers and the Wave MaxxAduio app with the proper license.
    7. Then connect to internet and download the rest of the missing drivers and updates.

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    Hi, I've got exactly the same issue but when I go to the Acer support site and download the files the ones you mention aren't present. Does anyone have a direect link to them please? Thanks in advance Danny
    Razamax said:

1. When you boot into windows, first install the RealTek audio drivers from Acer that are in a folder named "Audio_Realtek_6.0.1.8485_W10x64_A".
    2. After that go to the folder "Audio_Waves_1.0.31.0_W10x64_A" and install the following files by double clicking on them, in the following order:
    3. Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.3_1.3.24201.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.appx
    4. Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.4_1.4.24201.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe.appx
    5. 4c1aab4abaaa4f81aac14cc4e712bf57.appxbundle
    6. The above steps will install the RealTek Drivers and the Wave MaxxAduio app with the proper license.
    7. Then connect to internet and download the rest of the missing drivers and updates.

@dannynowthen the only drivers you have on acer support website are the audio/video/ethernet etc the net framework you have to download it from microsoft nothing to do with acer

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• dannynowthen
    dannynowthen Member Posts: 3 New User
    Oh okay thanks - what confused me was the accepted answer includes downloading the .NET stuff from acer. 
  • Razamax
    Oh okay thanks - what confused me was the accepted answer includes downloading the .NET stuff from acer. 
    I just rechecked by redownloding the waves audio driver zip file from acer website. When you unzip it you will find the .NET files in there. So my instructions are still valid.
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited May 2019
    Razamax said:
    I just rechecked by redownloding the waves audio driver zip file from acer website. When you unzip it you will find the .NET files in there. So my instructions are still valid.
    @Razamax well if its included in the audio drivers zip file its even easier i didnt knew as i myself dont have that hardware :) but even if it wasnt everything can be found and downloaded in separate if needed :) 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Razamax
    edited May 2019
    xapim said:

@Razamax well if its included in the audio drivers zip file its even easier i didnt knew as i myself dont have that hardware :) but even if it wasnt everything can be found and downloaded in separate if needed :) 

Yes, that is true

• STOPchris
    STOPchris Member Posts: 99 Fixer WiFi Icon
    This solution does not work for me. I had Wave (REALLY BAD SOFTWARE) working and then all the sudden it stopped working. I re-installed and it would not work, even using this method. 
  • STOPchris
    This seriously pisses me off, so does Acer's lack of support. 
  • STOPchris
    You can barely hear the speakers without this app working... How does Acer not have better support of installing this app?