"No Signal" message when connecting DP to an Acer X34P monitor

CheckSix
CheckSix Member Posts: 11 New User

I have the same problem as an original post, but it seems most users here are looking at the date it was posted (almost a year ago) and assuming I was just offering assistance. I think I might get a response if I post my problem separately (if that is allowed).

I just purchased an Acer Predator X34P monitor (YAY!) and connected the DP cable to my computer (running an RTX2080) and the monitor. It displays the Predator logo as stated by the original poster, then "No Signal". Despite seeing a few "unboxing and setup" videos for this monitor on YouTube, I was missing a HDMI cable (just the DP cable was in the box). I cannibalised one from my PS4, and connected that, and eventually got a picture using HDMI post connection, but still no DP. The very brief manual for the monitor suggests that I can connect BOTH HDMI and DP connections, and may save the different configurations for watching movies or gaming (dependant on my preferences). So I connected both. Only HDMI seems to work.

This is a brand new computer, and only has Windows 10 64Bit on it. I have not yet got an Nvidia control panel, nor do I have anything that enables me to utilise Nvidia G-Sync. Do I need these before the monitor will allow use of the DP? Of course, I plan to put these on my computer as soon as I get home, but I was wondering if this is the problem, or if I'm doing something wrong.

I thank all who take the time to read my post, and those that supply answers. I have well over $AUS6000 into this, and want to get the best out of my beast.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    It's actually preferred to start a new thread unless your problem is exactly the same as the previous. Since that other thread was for a XB2714 monitor and yours is for an X34P...

I assume you have already tried changing the source using the onscreen display menu?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • CheckSix

Yes billsey. I spent a great deal of time with no display at all (with the exception of the lovely Predator introductory screen), it just went blank after that displaying "No Signal". As I mentioned, I received no included HDMI cable, so I cannibalised one, and switching to HDMI works well. However, I want DP for my games (once I load a few). I switched between DP and HDMI by using the third switch and switching it there by using the red toggle, and also by going through the settings menu and switching it between the two inputs there.

I also set up a Nvidia control panel, and couldn't find anywhere it would let me download (if that's necessary) G-Sync software, or to "enable" it, or otherwise switch it on.

I'm at a loss. What am I doing wrong? Can any of you fine people assist me in ANY way (no matter how simple you think the step might be, and that I MUST have already tried that...I may not have. I'm a noob DP user.

CheckSix

• CheckSix
    OK, so now (after a GeForce update), my monitor displays a wallpaper background and a taskbar underneath it. But there are no desktop icons. They've all just disappeared. If I start a game up in HDMI mode, the game icon appears in the taskbar. If I switch to DP mode, and try to connect to the game again, it won't work. Any ideas?
  • billsey
    Sounds like the desktop has been extended to that monitor, from your Display Properties choose the appropriate monitor (use Identify if needed) and set that as your default and it should move the icons.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • CheckSix
    I still am just experiencing a wallpaper background with a task bar but no icons in DP mode (At least I have that). Very frustrating. 
  • CheckSix
    billsey said:
    Sounds like the desktop has been extended to that monitor, from your Display Properties choose the appropriate monitor (use Identify if needed) and set that as your default and it should move the icons.

billsey,

Thanks. I'll try that when I get home. It sounds like you think I have more than one monitor, but I have just one connected to this computer. I have two connections, HDMI and DP. Perhaps now that I'm at least getting something on DP, I should try disconnecting the HDMI, though the very small manual for the X34P suggests I can (and possibly should) connect both. I'll try your fix, then disconnect HDMI if that fails. Thanks again mate.

Check Six

• billsey
    Yeah, I'd guess the OS is seeing two monitors, one on the DP and one on the HDMI. You shouldn't have them both connected due to this exact problem.
  • CheckSix
    It seems as if the solution is to disconnect HDMI. I wonder why the "manual" (if you can call it that) for the X34P suggests you can connect both and utilise HDMI for emails, text and other tasks, and utilise DP when you want to play games.
  • billsey
    Their suggestion is for connecting multiple monitors. Probably doesn't have the best wording...
  • Plapla
    Plapla Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi,have absol.same problem right now,same monitor,rtx 2080ti any ideas?please
  • Kkings
    Kkings Member Posts: 3 New User
    Make sure if you are using a display port cable the input is set to display port, if HDMI cable, make sure the input is set to HDMI on the monitor. Happened to me.
  • Plapla
    Plapla Member Posts: 3 New User
    I do,i try everything what i find on internet,unplugs cables,reinstal,still same,,only HDMI working
  • MarshalZ
    MarshalZ Member Posts: 3 New User
    Uninstall Corsairs iCUE software, that solved the issue for me.
  • Zzackk
    Zzackk Member Posts: 1 New User
    Plapla said:
    I do,i try everything what i find on internet,unplugs cables,reinstal,still same,,only HDMI working
    Hi Plapla,
    I’m having the same issue, is yours fix?