Helios 500 (i7 8750H) - Throttling after Bios 1.16 update

Helios500
Helios500 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Today for whatever reason the new Bios 1.16 got installed ON ITS OWN on my Helios 500 after I started it.
It must have been included in yesterday's win update, which got downloaded...

whatever..
Today while gaming I noticed that one core (core #1) randomly throttles to 800MHz for a second and then boost again to 3,9 GHz...

On the pic u can see that the average clock speed and voltage is lower than on the other cores.
Never seen something like that, temps are ok. 
it must be a bug...

So who has updates his Helios Predator to the new Bios 1.16?
Does anybody know this bug?
even when I use throttlestop and force 2,5GHz max, then it throttles to 800....

pls help. Thx

Answers

• Helios500
    Helios500 Member Posts: 2 New User
    oh, and does anybody know the changelog for Bios 1.16 (had 1.14 before and it included the hardware undervolt)
    Couldnt find anything on the acer pages...
  • I can not tell you what updates were included in this version of bios. However it is recommended that you enter the bios and then click on load setup defaults to restore the bios to factory defaults and then press f10 to save on exiting! It is recommended to do this soon after the bios update so that bugs can be fixed!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • mankvl
    mankvl Member Posts: 51 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited November 2018
    I can not tell you what updates were included in this version of bios. However it is recommended that you enter the bios and then click on load setup defaults to restore the bios to factory defaults and then press f10 to save on exiting! It is recommended to do this soon after the bios update so that bugs can be fixed!
    But if I changed SATA to AHCI wouldn't it change SATA to RTS Premium and make win10 not bootable?

About the problem, I updated to 1.16 from the start I got the laptop, I notice 1 power throttle when playing gta5 but didn't take a look to what speed it dropped, I have a -1.7 undervolt and use max/turbo profile when gaming, will take a look next time I have time to play GTA5.
  • Theoretically yes! But to avoid this kind of problem and enter windows and press windows + r and type msconfig! Enable safe boot and restart the notebook!
    Enter the bios and click on load setup defaults and then press f10 to save when exiting! Immediately enter the bios again and then change rst with optane to ahci!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Ario
    Ario Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Same here, new 1.16 BIOS installed without any warning, then bricked my AHCI settings, so nothing booted anymore. Had to restore them in the BIOS to make laptop bootable again. No fix for the NVME overheating, so still running on MAX cooling and then it is fine.
    Completely unacceptable that there is no yes/no option to install the new bios, and completely unprofessional that Acer nowhere specifies the changes in 1.16.
  • M4rdock
    M4rdock Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited November 2018
    Same problem here, i even reinstalled windows to see if it helps (it helped but its still far from perfect).

I presume this bios update has something to do with newest intel cpus security problems but this is unaccepteable, if this persist then this amazing unit, which WAS best laptop i ever had will be also my last anything from acer, especially since it was forced on us.

I defintely wont be able to use this laptop for gaming, it will only be used by me for work, which is a shame.
    I didnt buy laptop with 1070 to use it only for work.

Edit: i manager to partially fix it, as Long as i dont use turbo modes on cpu i dont have this problem.
    Hope they release new bios soon or ill just have to reset it myself lol