Laptop gives shock when connected to HDMI cable from TV

Natidada
Natidada Member Posts: 30 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have A515-51 laptop and I charge it everyday to same power socket. Today I connect it to power socket and also connected it to TV via HDMI cable. The laptop gave me electrical shocks near the mouse trackpad area.  The power outlet has nothing to do with it because I charge the laptop every day and loads of other devices on that same power outlet. Also I use HDMI cable on my Dell laptop without any issue.

I read another post on Internet about this issue with Acer : http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2893030/electric-shock-coming-laptop.html

Please suggest what to do if its a known issue with Acer.

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Natidada said:
    I have A515-51 laptop and I charge it everyday to same power socket. Today I connect it to power socket and also connected it to TV via HDMI cable. The laptop gave me electrical shocks near the mouse trackpad area.  The power outlet has nothing to do with it because I charge the laptop every day and loads of other devices on that same power outlet. Also I use HDMI cable on my Dell laptop without any issue.

I read another post on Internet about this issue with Acer : http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2893030/electric-shock-coming-laptop.html

Please suggest what to do if its a known issue with Acer.
    requesting @Acer-Manny to help on this..
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • Filipe_Bioinfo
    Filipe_Bioinfo Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hey i have a A515-51 and it always give me small shocks when its connected to power. My note has almost 1.5 years so its not a problem to the machine itself only to the user :(
  • r2d2_2
    r2d2_2 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Exact the same problem here. Did you try other TV or other HDMI cable? did you try to connect a wire and connect to some metal? 
  • topcat7736
    topcat7736 Member Posts: 98 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Try plugging everything into the same wall outlet. The outlets could be wired improperly with the ground and hot leads reversed on one of them.
  • SagarGan
    SagarGan Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited April 2020
    Hi All,

I experience the same when I connect my laptop to an LED TV via HDMI. If I choose to live with it, considering the shock is quite mild, can it affect my laptop in any manner?

Edited the content to hide personal information
    Acer-Samuel
  • SagarGan
    SagarGan Member Posts: 2 New User
    I may have found a hack to the situation.

I had our building electricians visit my apartment and check the wiring today. They rightly pointed out to me that the TV cable is only 2 core (although plug is 3 pin), ie live & neutral, so the TV is not grounded.
    When the TV is connected, if I connect the laptop to the charger, the laptop and TV are grounded. I remember reading that laptop chargers are well earthed.
    So instead of connecting the charger pin to the laptop only when the laptop goes out of charge, I will leave it connected always and choose to turn on the supply to the charger only when the laptop runs out of charge...That way laptop and TV is earthed all the time even when not being charged.
    In my situation, the building wiring was in place.
    Hope this helps.