Does my Nitro 5 support 120 or 144hz on an external monitor?

Options
user890
user890 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello, so I was considering getting a new monitor during Black Friday and was wondering if my laptop, the Nitro 5 AN515-51-55WL with the 1050ti, could support an external monitor at 120 or 144hz using HDMI. The monitor I’m looking at has an 144hz refresh rate and HDMI 1.4 port, but I’m not sure my laptop could output that. 

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, it can support the higher refresh rate monitors but only guaranteed to 60Hz max. In other words, don't pay extra for the higher frequency capabilities if you're only intending to use it with this nitro. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, it can support the higher refresh rate monitors but only guaranteed to 60Hz max. In other words, don't pay extra for the higher frequency capabilities if you're only intending to use it with this nitro. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• aplhacultist
    aplhacultist Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    I used much worse, quite a legacy, acer aspire e1-572g with external FullHD display and could easily use its refresh rate of 75 Hz without any artifacts. The Nvidia video cards of the 10th generation have the same GPU for desktops and laptops, so I am quite sure that your 1050Ti (even of specially marked MQ, which is only low energy consumption), will perfectly work. If you are still unsure, take your laptop to a real computer store and ask for compatibility checking of one of their 144-Hz displays with the laptop. 
  • User90111
    User90111 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have a Acer nitro 5 that has a gtx 1050 ti and a i5 7300q. Can i connect a Hdmi 2.0 to the hdmi port and use that to get 144hz? (just asking so when i buy a 144hz monitor i dont have to worry if it can support it).
  • JackE
    Options
    Sorry, you have to worry. ACER only warrants 60Hz max through the port even though the graphics chip may support higher frequencies.  Some folks have reported success, others not. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ