CPU maximum clock(~3.4GHz) with normal actions but base clock(1.6GHz) when gaming or high load

Effintro
Effintro Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello everybody. I have a problem with my CPU performance (I5-8250U), when I surfing web, listening to music,....(normal uses) and Plug-in, the CPU run at full speed( around 3.4GHz) but when I start playing games, like PUBG, Overwatch,...the CPU stuck at 1.6GHz sometimes it raise up to 3.4GHz for a few seconds and then move back to 1.6GHz(base clock), some games got high FPS but suddenly drop...makes the game laggy, stutter,....I'm a flight simmer, in FSX, the FPS is quite high with maximum settings and many addons, but it only get around 40-50fps WHEN THE CPU RUN AT FULL SPEED, but it just for a few second...every games, the CPU stuck at 1.6GHz from start to end(even when livestream...) Is anyone could help me solve this problem, thank you very much.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,469 Trailblazer
    (1) Make sure Control Panel power plan is set to high or max performance (2) Laptop must be plugged in under heavy gaming loads. (3) Uninstall any non-Microsoft anti-virus or anti-malware software  Microsoft defender is all you need. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Effintro

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    (1) Make sure Control Panel power plan is set to high or max performance (2) Laptop must be plugged in under heavy gaming loads. (3) Uninstall any non-Microsoft anti-virus or anti-malware software  Microsoft defender is all you need. Jack E/NJ
    Actually I set the Power Options to High Performance and also plugged in while playing games, but it always stay at 1.6GHz...when not playing games, just do some basic works, the CPU run at the highest clock. Every game I play the CPU always stay at 1.6GHz, sometimes it raise up to 3.4GHz for a few seconds then...got back to 1.6
  • JackE
    (1) Try uninstalling, not disabling, any non-Microsoft anti-virus or anti-malware software. (2) What temperatures are you seeing when playing and when not playing games? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Effintro

Tinkerer

I'm not using any third party antivrus software, and i'm also disable real-time protection when playing games. The temperatures for GPU when I'm playing PUBG, with overclocking is around 87, for CPU just about 73 or below
  • JackE
    (1) Why are you overclocking? (2) What is your full nitro model number AN515-?? (3) Has this machine ever consistently turboed on high load? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Effintro

Tinkerer

My Laptop is...Acer Aspire A315-53G-5790
    Some images will show you what is my problem...
  • JackE
    (1) How much are you overvolting?
    (2)  Has this machine ever consistently turboed on high load?
    (3)  How many watts is your charger?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Effintro

Tinkerer

edited November 2018
    I'm not overvolting my CPU, I leave it default settings, VCore=0.000, my charger is 65W, any games I play the CPU always stay at 1.6GHz, when I exit out the CPU get back to maximum frequency 3.4GHz, when I play games, the CPU just stay around 70, it's not to hot. I'm also has Turned off Power Throttling
  • JackE
    Effintro  >>>The temperatures for GPU when I'm playing PUBG, with overclocking is around 87, for CPU just about 73 or below >>>
    >>>I'm not overvolting my CPU>>>

Please explain. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Effintro

Tinkerer

edited November 2018
    I mean overclocking the GPU, for the CPU-I'm not overclock it. When I play games, I use MSI Afterbunner to Overclock the GPU (Nvidia Geforce MX130), I didn't do anything to the CPU
  • Hi @Effintro
    I think your CPU runs normally, it's a powerful CPU running in a slim laptop, it seems like it has been designed to work like that to minimise heat produced while gaming.
  • Effintro

Tinkerer

So what should I do now...play games with some laggy cause of low clock, I saw some guys playing game on this CPU but run at full speed. 
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    edited November 2018
    Effintro said:
    So what should I do now...play games with some laggy cause of low clock, I saw some guys playing game on this CPU but run at full speed. 
    Hi,
    Others with different make laptops also having this issue, please do a google search for it, you could try contacting Acer Support centre in your region, Acer technicians might be able to solve the issue for you, I don't work for Acer, so I can not give you a firm answer but in my opinion, you may have to live with it.
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/
  • JackE
    While the i5-8250u is not fully configurable with Intel's XTU tools, you might be able to use it to boost performance by raising its 15watt power limit to 25watts. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Effintro

Tinkerer

I have raised the Turbo Boost Power Max to 25.00W but it still...1.6GHz when playing games, exit out it move back to 3.4GHz...the Temparature ~70, not too hot...
  • Effintro

Tinkerer

I have already install it just two days ago, but it seem like nothing changed...
  • JackE
    Then I think @brummyfan2 is probably correct. The i5-8250u is designed to allow mfrs to lock its turbospeeds to lower values when it senses a heavy load that could overheat the CPU or drain the battery faster. The lower values selected by the manufacturers probably depend on  laptop's designed cooling & battery capacities and thus range from base speed to full turbospeed. It appears that your particular laptop model is locked by the BIOS firmware at base speed when a heavy load is detected. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• Effintro

Tinkerer

So what can I do right now, I would like to use the full speed of the CPU while gaming, or doing high load works, the CPU temp is quite good, just around 70 and my laptop I just bought it for about 1 month ago.
  • martinmilata
    martinmilata Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello did you solve this problem? I have the same issue on my Acer aspire 5 A515 51G. Cpu is locked at 1600mhz in games but in stress test it can go over 3000mhz. If nobody solve this problem i will not recommend to buy acer laptops to anyone