Recovering data from a tablet with a failed display?

marknohr
marknohr Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

edited March 4 in 2018 Archives
Having been presented with the dilemma of trying to extract data from a tablet in which the display has failed, I've found this very serious Achilles heel for the common tablet. 

Since there is no external monitor port, what is the preferred way to get access to the hard drive information. 
Right now I'm thinking I should be enabling or installing a remote desktop app. 
Alternatively I was thinking a USB-C-to-HDMI adapter may save the day but will that display be enabled by default at boot?

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    marknohr said:
    Having been presented with the dilemma of trying to extract data from a tablet in which the display has failed, I've found this very serious Achilles heel for the common tablet. 

Since there is no external monitor port, what is the preferred way to get access to the hard drive information. 
    Right now I'm thinking I should be enabling or installing a remote desktop app. 
    Alternatively I was thinking a USB-C-to-HDMI adapter may save the day but will that display be enabled by default at boot?

You can connect the Micro USB cable to the tablet and the other end to a laptop or desktop ( Make sure to keep the tablet turned on ). In your computer go to this PC to access the info related to your tablet. You can actually transfer and share the data with ease
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Depends on the capabilities of the tablet. Which model do you have? If you can connect a keyboard you can connect the USB-C to a monitor and use Windows-P to change display modes. Cursor to a choice and hit enter to choose it. If it's in PC Screen Only mode a single down cursor selects Duplicate Screen Mode which should give you a signal on the monitor.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • marknohr

Tinkerer

Acer Switch Alpha 12 SA5-271-39N9
    Remote desktop teamviewer seems to work. 
    Can you really plug in a USB cable to a booted dead screen tablet and it acts as a USB drive to access user account data? Seems this would be a serious security flaw considering, with a dead screen, there could be no account logged into.
  • Rudy21
    marknohr said:

Acer Switch Alpha 12 SA5-271-39N9
    Remote desktop teamviewer seems to work. 
    Can you really plug in a USB cable to a booted dead screen tablet and it acts as a USB drive to access user account data? Seems this would be a serious security flaw considering, with a dead screen, there could be no account logged into.
    Dead screen has nothing to do with the Operating system. Once the device is turned on connect the USB cable to PC/Laptop and the Tablet. This would give you the access to use broken Tablet as USB storage.
  • marknohr

Tinkerer

Sorry I'm not clear.
    Are you saying the existing data on the machine under various user accounts can be read through the USB port? 
    Or are you saying that the tablet can be used as a USB drive but any windows user data will not be accessible?

• Rudy21
    marknohr said:
    Sorry I'm not clear.
    Are you saying the existing data on the machine under various user accounts can be read through the USB port? 
    Or are you saying that the tablet can be used as a USB drive but any windows user data will not be accessible?

User details cannot be accessible until unless you use some software like team viewer, remote desktop etc.. apps.

You can only use the device as USB storage capacity to transfer and share the data.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Rudy is just getting the SA12 confused with the Android tablets. On those when you connect to a PC via USB portions of their storage show up on the PC as removable drives. That doesn't work if you try to plug a PC into another PC like this. The Teamviewer thing is likely best to get things saved before getting into repairs, assuming the newer drivers don't fix the display.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Rudy21
    billsey said:
    Rudy is just getting the SA12 confused with the Android tablets. On those when you connect to a PC via USB portions of their storage show up on the PC as removable drives. That doesn't work if you try to plug a PC into another PC like this. The Teamviewer thing is likely best to get things saved before getting into repairs, assuming the newer drivers don't fix the display.
    Oops.. its my bad.. Thanks for correcting me @billsey