Helios 300 | OVerheating

Ivajani
Ivajani Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I'm really tired of this laptop, i changed thermal paste (MX4), undervolted it, i have fan speed on maximum while playing and i have laptop placed on something higher for air circulation. i'm still having overheating problems, CPU is reaching 94C and I have no idea what to do. 

Answers

• fejerm
    fejerm Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    8750H model? 
    I own an Aspire A717-72G which uses almost the same cooling. 
    It has a 8750H CPU  and GTX 1060 GPU which were running pretty hot. 
    I changed the paste to TG Kryonaut+I unlocked the system BIOS and undervolted (-140 mV) the CPU within the BIOS+installed a modded Predator Sense to enable max fan. 

With these above if I stress the CPU and GPU the same time with Aida64 the VGA will go up to 74C and the CPU will go up to 92C. This is with 28C ambient temp. 
    I have played XCom 2 and after that the max CPU was 82C and the max VGA was 74C. 

What did you do to reach 94C? Stress test or gaming? 

You can try Kryonaut but would not make a lot of difference compared to MX4. TG Conductonaut would be the best, however if your laptop also has a 8750H DO NOT use liquid metal. The surface of the CPU die is not perfectly flat (for all 8750H chips in every laptop) so when you carry the laptop around the liquid metal can drip out and may damage your system. 
  • Ivajani

Tinkerer

fejerm said:
    8750H model? 
    I own an Aspire A717-72G which uses almost the same cooling. 
    It has a 8750H CPU  and GTX 1060 GPU which were running pretty hot. 
    I changed the paste to TG Kryonaut+I unlocked the system BIOS and undervolted (-140 mV) the CPU within the BIOS+installed a modded Predator Sense to enable max fan. 

With these above if I stress the CPU and GPU the same time with Aida64 the VGA will go up to 74C and the CPU will go up to 92C. This is with 28C ambient temp. 
    I have played XCom 2 and after that the max CPU was 82C and the max VGA was 74C. 

What did you do to reach 94C? Stress test or gaming? 

You can try Kryonaut but would not make a lot of difference compared to MX4. TG Conductonaut would be the best, however if your laptop also has a 8750H DO NOT use liquid metal. The surface of the CPU die is not perfectly flat (for all 8750H chips in every laptop) so when you carry the laptop around the liquid metal can drip out and may damage your system. 
    No, I have 7700HQ Model and I got 94C while gaming. 

When I undervolt on -0.135V temps have no big difference but my performance becomes so bad, like can't even hit 140 fps in Overwatch on medium settings.

Like, I have I7 7700HQ and 1060 and can't even play games like rainbow six siege on low graphics without having problems, I'm really tired.
  • fejerm
    edited November 2018
    94C even with max fan?!
    Well that really is bad...as I said with max fan my 8750H CPU does not go above 82C while gaming and that is much more powerful CPU. Undervolting for me did not lower performance...in matter of fact it increase physics points by 1500 in Fire Strike. 

What are the temps of the cores themselves? Is there a big difference between them?

Do you have the latest BIOS?

have you checked the contact of the CPU? 

When I repasted I used the screwdriver to bend the feet of the heatsink of the CPU area to be more tight. 
  • Ivajani

Tinkerer

fejerm said:
    94C even with max fan?!
    Well that really is bad...as I said with max fan my 8750H CPU does not go above 82C while gaming and that is much more powerful CPU. Undervolting for me did not lower performance...in matter of fact it increase physics points by 1500 in Fire Strike. 

What are the temps of the cores themselves? Is there a big difference between them?

When I repasted I used the screwdriver to bend the feet of the heatsink of the CPU area to be more tight. 
    Yeap, 94C with max fan. 

I never touched BIOS and I have no idea how to upgrade it. 

I only check CPU temp in predator sense, but next time i will check it in core temp 

what is contact of the cpu? O.o

well I tightened screws really well. 
  • fejerm
    Ivajani said:
    fejerm said:
    94C even with max fan?!

Yeap, 94C with max fan. 

I only check CPU temp in predator sense, but next time i will check it in core temp 

Oh dear...there has been 8 BIOS updated released for your laptop.
    Start by downloading the latest BIOS from here: https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.21_A_A.zip?acerid=636778429323177360&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=PREDATOR&Step3=PREDATOR%20PH317-51&OS=ALL&LC=hu&BC=ACER&SC=EMEA_16

Extract it and run this file: C5PRH121.exe
    The program will do everything, you just need to make sure the laptop is plugged in. 

By contact I meant that the heatsink might not be touching the CPU die tight enough which allowed air bubbles to get under it. Pull back the feet holding the heatsink in place so when you install it they could hold the heatsink more tighter. 

• Ivajani

Tinkerer

fejerm said:
    Ivajani said:
    fejerm said:
    94C even with max fan?!

Yeap, 94C with max fan. 

Start by downloading the latest BIOS from here: https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.21_A_A.zip?acerid=636778429323177360&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=PREDATOR&Step3=PREDATOR%20PH317-51&OS=ALL&LC=hu&BC=ACER&SC=EMEA_16

The program will do everything, you just need to make sure the laptop is plugged in. 

By contact I meant that the heatsink might not be touching the CPU die tight enough which allowed air bubbles to get under it. Pull back the feet holding the heatsink in place so when you install it they could hold the heatsink more tighter. 

I updated BIOS now. 

but now i have to open up laptop, repaste and make sure that heatsink is touching cpu. 
  • Ivajani

Tinkerer

fejerm said:
    Ivajani said:
    fejerm said:
    94C even with max fan?!

Yeap, 94C with max fan. 

well. i did everything as you told me and now i get maximum 77 temp on max fans and no undervolt. thank you very much <3 
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Ivajani said:
    well. i did everything as you told me and now i get maximum 77 temp on max fans and no undervolt. thank you very much <3 
    Now try fans on auto and cool boost on.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Ivajani

Tinkerer

sri369 said:
    Ivajani said:
    Haven't tried fans on auto but i always keep coolbost on 
  • sri369
    Ivajani said:
    sri369 said:
    Ivajani said:
    Haven't tried fans on auto but i always keep coolbost on 
    Max might kill hardware in the long run. Auto + coolboost is enough for most cases (as in pretty much all cases).
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Sharfan
    Sharfan Member Posts: 45 Troubleshooter
    I seem to have the same problem with my 7700HQ model and I have repasted with Cooler Master Mastergel Pro, undervolted both the CPU and GPU following videos made by @HotelHero and yet the laptop keeps reaching high 80s to 90s on both CPU and GPU.. Honestly don't know what to do...
  • kilari_helios_300
    kilari_helios_300 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Let me preface this by saying ***** ACER.

Tried everything that people have suggested. I have went above and beyond what i can do to make this relatively new laptop to work as it was intended out of the box. I can't claim for warranty because I got this laptop as a gift from my relative based in the US. I have lost all hope at this point, and have taken upon myself to actively dissuade people from buying these crappy predator laptops by writing detailed reviews on problems I am facing on Amazon and other online retailers. This forum is littered everyday with a post like yours about facing heating and performance issues. I'm going to post this exact same comment on every post like this from now on, $1200 worth piece of ***** that cant play overwatch on the least possible setting. Screw acer and predator laptops. 

No I don't want any advice on how I can make this piece of junk work. Again ***** ACER.
  • sri369
    Sharfan said:
    I seem to have the same problem with my 7700HQ model and I have repasted with Cooler Master Mastergel Pro, undervolted both the CPU and GPU following videos made by @HotelHero and yet the laptop keeps reaching high 80s to 90s on both CPU and GPU.. Honestly don't know what to do...
    Show your CPU UV screenshot and GPU graph curve screenshot.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • CdrFrost
    CdrFrost Member Posts: 1 New User
    sri369 said:
    Ivajani said:
    Hello, would you care to explain how did you do the heatsink pull please, I have exactly the same problem :(
  • reaLEtyx
    reaLEtyx Member Posts: 28 Troubleshooter
    Seems like you've had the laptop for a long time, maybe clean out the fans cause they might be filled with dust.
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited November 2019
    Ivajani (i see you got it sorted but heres my advice anyway for everyone else) kilari_helios_300 and Sharfan clean the fans/and exit airflow properly and repaste it with kryonaut or similar using the spread method just a thin layer to cover the diodes its enough too much paste its bad also too less it has to be the exact right amount also dont do it yourself if you have warranty seals you will void your warranty

PS: if you still have high temps after repasting you have done a bad repaste job do it again until you get it right

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/