XB271HU monitor shadow / dark patch / smudge on corner of screen

jondoe1989
jondoe1989 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited February 23 in 2020 Archives
Hi all, I got my XB271HU in 2016, and have had no issues with it apart from the vertical overlapping line occasionally which I understand from this forum is a g-sync firmware problem.
However i noted recently that there is a dark patch or a shadow on the top left corner of the screen. It is very obvious (at least to me) on light grey shaded images. Unfortunately I work with grey shaded images all the time, so this is giving me some grief as it is glaringly obvious most of the time. Pictures attached.
Thoughts? 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Could be mechanical, can you determine if there's any warping in that corner? Pressure against the display can exhibit this.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jondoe1989

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Could be mechanical, can you determine if there's any warping in that corner? Pressure against the display can exhibit this.
    I tried doing that, but it doesnt seem to make the shadow go away.
  • Nokturnal
    Nokturnal Member Posts: 37 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    left side of the screen on yours too huh. this problem is all too common. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFdZRw0YSik
  • jondoe1989

Tinkerer

Nokturnal said:

woah, those look alot more severe than what I'm getting. What has happened to quality control. I gave up on ASUS g-sync monitors and was quite happy with Acer's for a couple of years until these symptoms showed up. 
  • Nokturnal
    Nokturnal said:

woah, those look alot more severe than what I'm getting. What has happened to quality control. I gave up on ASUS g-sync monitors and was quite happy with Acer's for a couple of years until these symptoms showed up. 
    my line started out small and then grew down the left side of the screen. some days its bad, some days its faint and hardly noticeable. maybe theres some sort of overheating going on in the left side of the monitor that is causing it. all that aside acer is about on par with asus in terms of quality. I was just stating that the issue wasnt present in the pg279q for whatever reason. They all used the same AUO panels which is a company owned by acer. 

Also seen this issue present in older dell monitors. if you google dell yogore you can see monitors with similar issues as these. 
  • Nokturnal
  • jondoe1989

Tinkerer

Nokturnal said:
    Nokturnal said:

my line started out small and then grew down the left side of the screen. some days its bad, some days its faint and hardly noticeable. maybe theres some sort of overheating going on in the left side of the monitor that is causing it. all that aside acer is about on par with asus in terms of quality. I was just stating that the issue wasnt present in the pg279q for whatever reason. They all used the same AUO panels which is a company owned by acer. 

Also seen this issue present in older dell monitors. if you google dell yogore you can see monitors with similar issues as these. 
    i see, thats very enlightening. I've returned 2x Asus PG297Qs in the past as the backlight bleed was just terrible. There is virtually no backlight bleed on my current acer, so I think i'll just bite the bullet and run with it. Don't really feel like playing the LED panel lottery anymore than I have to X-D. 
  • Nokturnal
    yep hardly any bleed on my acer either. such a shame that its a lottery with monitors. So many issues out there. Just as a heads up your monitor has a 3 year warranty. with the predator monitors acer repair dept goes above and beyond. They paid for shipping both ways with mine. If you plan on sending it in just contact level 2 support and be sure to show them the pictures so they can forward them to the repair dept. good luck with your monitor and i hope it doesnt spread. 
  • jondoe1989

Tinkerer

Nokturnal said:
    yep hardly any bleed on my acer either. such a shame that its a lottery with monitors. So many issues out there. Just as a heads up your monitor has a 3 year warranty. with the predator monitors acer repair dept goes above and beyond. They paid for shipping both ways with mine. If you plan on sending it in just contact level 2 support and be sure to show them the pictures so they can forward them to the repair dept. good luck with your monitor and i hope it doesnt spread. 
    thanks again for your insight. So basically I have about 2 months warranty left.. hmm  will think hard on it. The Lvl 2 Acer support you mention, is this for customers based in the US? I'm in new zealand so customer support is most times longwinded at best.
  • Nokturnal
    Yeah im in the US and their level 2 for here is in texas. Im not sure if it exist outside the US. When you call just ask for level 2 and see if they have it. 
  • Nokturnal
    kind of similar to what you have below
  • Nokturnal
    found this today as well. some pg279q owners are experiencing this too. seems the panel is at fault here. 
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?100919-PG279Q-Backlight-issues&p=750449#post750449
  • jondoe1989

Tinkerer

do hope that they've upped their quality control for later generations of their G-sync monitors. might consider switching to viewsonic in the future
  • Nokturnal
    I hope they start using different panels. Just about all the brands use Auo. 
  • GlennFreedom
    GlennFreedom Member Posts: 1 New User
    I recently purchased a similar model and experienced the same issue. I'm hoping it's still under warranty.

Car Dealerships Lexington KY
  • Nokturnal
    I recently purchased a similar model and experienced the same issue. I'm hoping it's still under warranty.

My stain actually went away. it must be some sort of contamination/condensation on the film. I just kept using it and the shadow grew but got more transparent over time. Now its completely gone. Just know this happened to two of my monitors. If you get the panel replaced you stand a good chance of it happening to the next 1. 
  • Kasenumi
    Kasenumi Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Nokturnal said:

My stain actually went away. it must be some sort of contamination/condensation on the film. I just kept using it and the shadow grew but got more transparent over time. Now its completely gone. Just know this happened to two of my monitors. If you get the panel replaced you stand a good chance of it happening to the next 1. 
    did the problem reappear? Warranty didnt help in my case, technitians concluded everything is fine with the monitor
  • Nokturnal
    Kasenumi said:
    Nokturnal said:

did the problem reappear? Warranty didnt help in my case, technitians concluded everything is fine with the monitor
    Sorry I've taken so long to get back but no the line never came back. Still using it now. Like I originally said the line got bigger/spread then it went away. which is why i assume that it was some sort of moisture or residue that had to work its way out over time. The acer techs are pretty bad too. Unless you really press the issue with them, they won't do anything. Also if you send yours in to be replaced theres a good chance you will get a bad panel with dead pixels or dust under the screen. Their replacement panels are a b class ones that are pulled from units sent back.