Acer Predator G3 710 Compatibility Question

Options
Jessec
Jessec Member Posts: 5 New User
Hello
I want to upgrade my pc it is a Predator G3-710. I want to change the i5 CPU to an AMD ryzon 7 2700 so I can do some streaming but I do not know if the motherboard is compatible with it. I do not want to buy the CPU and find out it doesn't work so is it compatible? If not I would have to get a new motherboard. Any recommendations for a motherboard that will work with the Ryzon? 
Thanks!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,839 Trailblazer
    Options
    No the Intel and AMD processors require different motherboards. Which i5 do you have in yours? You likely can upgrade to an i7, but there will only be a couple of i7 models you can use.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jessec
    Options
    With my motherboard, I can go up to the i7 7700k which I think only has 4 cores if I am correct. Would that be fine for streaming? I do know that more cores is better but my i5 has 4 cores right now and it can't handle it. What do you think?
  • billsey
    Options
    Number of cores is only one factor to use. If your current i5 is a seventh gen (as in i5-7xxx) then you are correct as to which processor is tops.
    The i5 has four cores, but only can handle four instructions at once, the i7 can do eight at once with the same four cores. The i5 has 6MB of layer 3 cache, the i7 8MB. That means the i7 is actually a lot faster in relation to the i5 than just the number of core and base clock rate would show. The other big factor is the GPU. Which graphics card do you have? A lot of the graphics work in streaming is off loaded to the graphics card and isn't affected all that much by the CPU.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Jessec
    Options
    I have a Nvidia Gtx 1060 3gb. And the Cpu I have right now is an i5 6400 quad-core. I just need a processor that is able to stream if it is indeed the processor. I can stream right now it just gets choppy when I use a webcam and when I play more intense games. I also have to lower the stream settings a bit to stream which makes the stream not look as good.
  • billsey
    Options
    So your processor is a sixth gen i5, not a seventh. You can't upgrade to the i7-7700K without a motherboard swap since you need the newer chipset for the 7th gen processors. That means an i7-6700K is the fastest you can use, not the i7-7700K. How much memory do you have? Are you booting from an SSD or HDD? Your GPU is certainly fast enough to stream without glitches unless you're going for really high resolution.
  • Jessec
    Options
    I put my specs into this benchmark site that says what I can upgrade to and it said i7 7700k was the highest. And I have 8gb of memory right now and I am using an HDD.
  • iphogothit
    iphogothit Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options
    Hi, I'm wondering if I can run an amd gpu on my predator 710 (i5 6400, gtx 1060 6gb, 8 GB ram) or will I need a new motherboard due to bios not picking up the amd gpu
  • billsey
    Options
    Nope, switching from an Intel CPU to an AMD CPU requires a new motherboard. They are very, very different.