Aspire E5-475-31NV SSD Upgrade

2»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,469 Trailblazer
    As for the original question, any m.2 2280 SSD should work fine even if not listed by crucial. And I don't think a 2.5" 500GB SSD for less than $100 is an unreasonable price.  As for improving video performance, aside from intel settings above, make sure your power plan is set to high or max performance. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bully
    bully Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter
    Thanks. So given the problem, do you have any idea what could be causing it? We seem to have ruled out graphics card, HDD and processor. Might insufficient RAM be the problem?
  • JackE
    edited November 2018
    I don't think so. While there doesn't seem to be a problem with your HDD and built-in graphics & cpu, the graphics are limited in the E5-475 model. The E5-475G model probably would've been a better choice since it has another higher performing graphics adapter on its mainboard. The best you can hope for with the E5-475 is to have the latest graphics driver and your power plan set to high performance. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bully
    Thanks. I checked using the Intel driver and support assistant and i have the latest graphics driver. I did update the bios to 1.21. I'm not sure what you mean by 'your power plan set to high performance'?
  • JackE
    Open Control Panel. Search power plan. Click choose a power plan in the left panel. Make sure your power plan is set to High Performance, not Balanced nor Power Saver. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bully
    Thanks, I think i managed it. I had to create a custom plan - i couldn't just unselect 'Balanced' - which seemed long-winded. I'll see how it shapes up.
  • Enter the result here! You can also change the power plans by clicking on the "windows mobility center" as it really looks like it just shows the balanced mode on some notebooks:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • bully
    Well, i did upgrade my HDD to an m.2 Pioneer APS-SM1 120GB. The Procedure was simpler than i though - i just cloned using Macrium Reflect. Then i removed the old hdd expecting to have to make adjustments to the BIOS but it just booted automatically using my new ssd. Unfortunately, the start up time improved only marginally from about 45 seconds to 40 seconds. UserBenchmark tells me the ssd is "performing well below expectations (10th percentile)" and the sequential read/write figures are 363/73.3.

Any comments, please?
  • JackE
    You can decrease startup time by enabling fast startup in Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click change what the power buttons do in left pane. Click change settings that aren't available. Scroll down the list and check turn on fast startup to enable fast boot. I however don't recommend or use fast boot myself because it can cause other strange issues from time to time due to stuff being left in memory on shutdown. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bully
    Thanks. I don't know if it had anything to do with it but I actually changed the boot order in the BIOS and things seemed to speed up. The SSD seems to have 'bedded in"; the start up time is down to typically <20sec and jobs like a Macrium Windows back up run at twice the speed of the old HDD which is now just storage. The Laptop isn't superfast but i'm well pleased with the increased performance for an outlay of <£20 and a surprisingly straightforward OS transfer.
  • JackE
    What changes did you make in the boot order? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Ssd manufacturers usually provide some software to update the ssd firmware! I advise you to try the firmware to see if it solves the performance problem!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)