M.2 Slot 1 not detecting any drive on PH517-61-R0GX

quadcricket
quadcricket Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I just got my Predator Helios 500 PH517-61-R0GX and wanted to add a second m.2 drive. When I added the new drive to slot 1 it was not detected. When I moved the stock m.2 drive from slot 2 over to slot 1 it didn't show up either. There are no raid options in BIOS. Nothing to configure other than disabling SATA. When I disable the SATA the working drives just disappear too.

Answers

• Hi,
    What's the make of the drive? Is it M.2 SATA SSD? Does it show in BIOS? When you switch the original drive to the second slot, did you change the boot order in BIOS?
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited November 2018
    Dude I had same issue, it's because the laptop is configured for Intel Optane Memory boosting.

If you notice in IRST it shows both current NVME and HDD in RAID but they aren't tied to one another.
    This is due to Intel Optane Config.

I ended up just buying an Intel Optane M.2 SSD to use and will upgrade my HDD to 2tb since it will gain SSD speeds at a much lower cost to me.

The only way to fix it is to install Windows fresh and deem it AHCI from the get-go.
    (I was told this by @IronFly)
    - Hotel Hero
  • Hi @Red-Sand
    I doubt it may have anything to do with Optane, I can understand that Optane will be useful with one HDD bay and one M.2 slot but what's the point of Optane when you have a M.2 PCIe/SATA SSD as a boot drive(stock SSD) and a second M.2 slot.

• Red-Sand
    edited November 2018
    To cut down on cost I imagine.
    Optane to speed up the HDD and the NVME to hold software/OS. (The one I ordered is 16gb)

I ordered Intel Optane M.2 to install and will have it this weekend when Im back in town.

Also its the only thing that makes sense.

It's Intel Optane Enabled in BIOs by default and both drives are set to RAID but are not in RAID together. 

Can you think of something else?

I've installed normal 500gb M.2 SATA III SSD and a Samsung Evo Pro NVME and both are not recognized in slot #2 and so far for everyone its the same issue.
    - Hotel Hero
  • @Red-Sand
    Thanks for the response, another thing to consider is whether Optane will function in an AMD platform, sorry for being a pessimist but only trying to learn something about this setup.
  • quadcricket
    Hi,
    What's the make of the drive? Is it M.2 SATA SSD? Does it show in BIOS? When you switch the original drive to the second slot, did you change the boot order in BIOS?
    It is an intel nvme SSD. It does not show in BIOS but neither does anything else. Only partition labels show up like "Windows boot loader". This is the AMD Ryzen/Vega Helios 500 so I don't know about Optane existing at all. I also saw no RAID options at all. The BIOS is very limited. I am used to gaming motherboards and laptops having very nice BIOS screens but this looks like the old ASCII text-only BIOS systems. Kind of a let down. 
  • Hi,
    It is an intel nvme SSD. It does not show in BIOS but neither does anything else. Only partition labels show up like "Windows boot loader". This is the AMD Ryzen/Vega Helios 500 so I don't know about Optane existing at all. I also saw no RAID options at all. The BIOS is very limited. I am used to gaming motherboards and laptops having very nice BIOS screens but this looks like the old ASCII text-only BIOS systems. Kind of a let down. 
    Hi,
    You have one M.2 slot for NVMe/SATA SSD( stock SSD), second slot only capable of M.2 SATA SSD and a HDD bay, so the Intel NVMe SSD won't work in the second slot but why the stock SSD which came with the laptop isn't working in the second slot, you have to give us as much information as possible(not the serial number), is it a NVMe SSD? could you please post the disk management snip, details of the SSDs you have( size, make and model etc).

• Red-Sand
    I've tried a regular SATA m.2 in the second slot and it didn't work for me.
    - Hotel Hero
  • quadcricket
    Hi,
    Hi,
    You have one M.2 slot for NVMe/SATA SSD( stock SSD), second slot only capable of M.2 SATA SSD and a HDD bay, so the Intel NVMe SSD won't work in the second slot but why the stock SSD which came with the laptop isn't working in the second slot, you have to give us as much information as possible(not the serial number), is it a NVMe SSD? could you please post the disk management snip, details of the SSDs you have( size, make and model etc).

From the sticker: Intel SSD 600P series, Model: SSDPEKKW256G7 FW: 100C
    https://ark.intel.com/products/94921/Intel-SSD-600p-Series-256GB-M-2-80mm-PCIe-3-0-x4-3D1-TLC-
    Disk management shows nothing. Like it is not there. System does not boot when stock SSD is in slot 1 instead of slot 2 (where it was installed originally).
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    edited November 2018
    Hi @quadcricket
    I think you could try contacting Acer support centre, explain to them and see what the solution they suggest, on the other hand you could wait for few days to find out the results from @Red-Sand as he is waiting for the Optane.
    Is the stock SSD a SATA drive or a PCIe drive?
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
  • quadcricket
    I have reached out to Acer and they are having me ship the laptop back to them to figure out why the other M.2 slot doesn't work and why RAID isn't present. 
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-series-features/predatorhelios500
    The product page clearly states that RAID 0 works with two NVME drives. So let us all hope that they can solve this problem for us. 
  • ATR42
    ATR42 Member Posts: 54 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited November 2018
    Red-Sand said:
    The only way to fix it is to install Windows fresh and deem it AHCI from the get-go.
    This ^ 
    I had the same problem initially. 
    I know the OP already shipped the laptop back but for the sake of discussion... I  wanted to verify he did infact turn off optane in the bios, then set it to AHCI and reinstall Windows after swapping the slots. It’s the only way I got mine to work as well.

As an aside when I was reading about optane I didn’t see too much supporting info that it was incredibly faster than regular old AHCI. It does however seem to make our lives more difficult. 

Helios 500 . PH517-51-72NU . i7 8750H . GTX1070 . Evo 970 nvme

• chaoticbob
    chaoticbob Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

ATR42 said:
    Red-Sand said:
    This ^ 
    I had the same problem initially. 
    I know the OP already shipped the laptop back but for the sake of discussion... I  wanted to verify he did infact turn off optane in the bios, then set it to AHCI and reinstall Windows after swapping the slots. It’s the only way I got mine to work as well.

As an aside when I was reading about optane I didn’t see too much supporting info that it was incredibly faster than regular old AHCI. It does however seem to make our lives more difficult. 
    I'm having this exact same problem. How do you disable Optane in the bios? 
  • chaoticbob

Tinkerer

Hi,
    Hi,

So I've confirmed that the above is true, at least for me. I put a M.2 SSD into the slot on the right (J in brummyfan2's diagram) and it worked. I tried swapping in an M.2 NVME afterwards and it went back to not working. 

• Red-Sand
    Must be for Ryzen only because mine doesn't see SATA M.2 and only sees PCIE lol
    - Hotel Hero
  • chaoticbob

Tinkerer

Red-Sand said:

Ahh, that sucks dude. Sorry to hear it. I had opened a ticket with Acer and they wanted me to ship the laptop in...now I'm not sure what that would've accomplished.
  • Red-Sand
    edited November 2018
    I put in a Optane Memory M.2 and its showing as recognized but I cant enable Optane lol.
    Le sigh
    - Hotel Hero
  • Hi @Red-Sand
    If you have a spare HDD, migrate the OS to it, install the Optane drive in the first slot(G) and check whether you are able to enable Optane, if everything works fine install a M.2 SATA SSD in the second slot(J) and see whether it recognises the second M.2 SATA SSD.
    One other thing, could it be the heatsink on top of the M.2 drives may have something to do with it? Just remove and see, it's only a hunch and can not tell with any conviction.

• Red-Sand said:

Ahh, that sucks dude. Sorry to hear it. I had opened a ticket with Acer and they wanted me to ship the laptop in...now I'm not sure what that would've accomplished.
    You may get another motherboard, perhaps.
  • MRunar
    MRunar Member Posts: 4 New User
    i have the amd setup, and experiencing the same problem .. my OS is on the orig. nvme in slot 0, slot 1 not recognizing the samsung evo 970 500 GB. bios does not tell me anyting. no info on drives at all .. disapointing bios