weird beep sound -Aspire 5 A517-51G-55G9

Bobgraton200
Bobgraton200 Member Posts: 64 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello!

I got an Aspire 5 A517-51G-55G9, when I plug it in to charge, I hear randomly some beep noise coming from the computer. It is not from the speaker. I don't have to do thing to hear it. I hear it aproximatibly each 2 or 5 minutes..

I recoreded a video of 1 minute with my phone, where I put my phone on the computer around the fan while I do NOTHING with the computer. At 43 secondes you can clearly hear the beep noise comming out of the computer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLbDDcJ8Ncs

I googled some beep code but I did not find one for my case.

I got every update for this computer, including the BIOS update.

Should I use my waranty?
Hope someone can give me a hint of solution :)

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    Sorry, I couldn't hear it. Is it perhaps a high-pitched beep which are sometimes difficult to pinpoint location? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bobgraton200
    JackE said:
    Sorry, I couldn't hear it. Is it perhaps a high-pitched beep which are sometimes difficult to pinpoint location? Jack E/NJ
    You could not hear it? The beeps start at 43 secondes excatly not before and finish at 48 secondes. it is like 11 small beep. I can even hear it with a cheap earphone from the dollars store.

yeah it is a high-pitched beep, it seem to comes from where I put my phone in the video. I don't know what is there in my laptop
  • JackE
    edited November 2018
    @Bobgraton200 >>>I hear randomly some beep noise coming from the computer>>>I hear it aproximatibly each 2 or 5 minutes..>>>it is a high-pitched beep>>>

Probably why I can't hear it. Anything above about 1200Hz is usually overwhelmed by my tinnitus hiss.

When it's ***consistently*** happening every 2-5 minutes while you just sit there doing nothing, what happens when you turn the computer off and still just sit there doing nothing for the next 10-15 minutes? I'm serious. I'm trying to determine if it's really coming from the computer or someplace else in the room or nearby. Even for those who don't have tinnitus, it's difficult to pinpoint high-frequency audio sources.

Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• Bobgraton200
    JackE said:
    @Bobgraton200 >>>I hear randomly some beep noise coming from the computer>>>I hear it aproximatibly each 2 or 5 minutes..>>>it is a high-pitched beep>>>

Probably why I can't hear it. Anything above about 1200Hz is usually overwhelmed by my tinnitus hiss.

When it's ***consistently*** happening every 2-5 minutes while you just sit there doing nothing, what happens when you turn the computer off and still just sit there doing nothing for the next 10-15 minutes? I'm serious. I'm trying to determine if it's really coming from the computer or someplace else in the room or nearby. Even for those who don't have tinnitus, it's difficult to pinpoint high-frequency audio sources.

Jack E/NJ    

I'm 100% it is from the laptop, I put my ear on my computer for 5 - 10 minutes just to be sure it is from it. So naturaly when i turn off the laptop I don't hear it.

When I just turn on the laptop it take more time to hear it, like 20 - 30 minutes. But when it starts it beep around each 2 - 5 minutes.
  • JackE
    >>>Should I use my waranty?>>>

I can't explain the reason for the high frequency beeps that you seem to be hearing. Coil whine is a possibility from your description of taking longer to appear on a cold boot. But coil whine would be more of a continuous high-frequency sound than a series of short high frequency beeps. If possible, I'd tried to move the system to another room or location just in case the wifi or bluetooth might be picking up a stray nearby high-frequency signal from an unknown source. Not much can be done about coil whine since it's more or less the nature of small inductors and chokes that are used on mainboards. if the machine is otherwise working OK, I'd be reluctant to seek a warranty repair at this point. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bobgraton200
    JackE said: 
    >>>Should I use my waranty?>>>

I can't explain the reason for the high frequency beeps that you seem to be hearing. Coil whine is a possibility from your description of taking longer to appear on a cold boot. But coil whine would be more of a continuous high-frequency sound than a series of short high frequency beeps. If possible, I'd tried to move the system to another room or location just in case the wifi or bluetooth might be picking up a stray nearby high-frequency signal from an unknown source. Not much can be done about coil whine since it's more or less the nature of small inductors and chokes that are used on mainboards. if the machine is otherwise working OK, I'd be reluctant to seek a warranty repair at this point. Jack E/NJ
    Well it should not be the wi-fi since im using an ethernet cable.

But it is so anoying and im afraid that later it may become a problem
  • JackE
    Then try pulling the ethernet cable to see if it still occurs. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,159 Trailblazer
    edited November 2018
    I heard the beep! There are three fast beeps, two short, one short, four fast!
    Does this beep occur when the notebook is connected to the power adapter or only on the battery?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    I guess you don't have tinnitus.  Sounds like morse code. 3 dots + 2 dots + 1 dot + 4 dots.  S + I + E + H. =)  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bobgraton200
    JackE said:
    Then try pulling the ethernet cable to see if it still occurs. Jack E/NJ
    I already tried. It change nothing
  • Bobgraton200
    edited November 2018
    I heard the beep! There are three fast beeps, two short, one short, four fast!
    Does this beep occur when the notebook is connected to the power adapter or only on the battery?
    Yes it happend only when it is connected! No sound on the battery for all its life.

Do you know what this code mean, I don't find it anywhere? (Sorry i did not look a lot, im at my job.)
  • JackE
    Good call @egydiocoelho . Sounds like noisy AC mains.  No codes. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Thank you @JackE If the problem occurs only when the AC power adapter is connected, then this may indicate that the power adapter is defective or that you are not plugging the notebook into a grounded outlet (I do not know if this is the correct English term )! What I want to know is if you are plugging the notebook into a socket that has three pins, in which the middle pin is the ground:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Bobgraton200
    Thank you @JackE If the problem occurs only when the AC power adapter is connected, then this may indicate that the power adapter is defective or that you are not plugging the notebook into a grounded outlet (I do not know if this is the correct English term )! What I want to know is if you are plugging the notebook into a socket that has three pins, in which the middle pin is the ground:

I will check it tonight when I come back from work.
    But it should not be that, because my wife got the same laptop (but smaller and with less ram) and it is not doing it at my desk. Maybe I did not wait long enough, so I will try it again tonigh, and after I will try her charger.

Thank both for your help, i'll comme back tonight or tomorow to answer if it solves the problem!
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,159 Trailblazer
    edited November 2018
    What is the exact model of your wife's notebook? If it's the same model, test with your wife's notebook power adapter if your notebook's notebook adapter also has 65w!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Bobgraton200
    What is the exact model of your wife's notebook? If it's the same model, test with your wife's notebook power adapter if your notebook's notebook adapter also has 65w!
    I think my wife got this one: A515-51G-5718. Basically the same, but less ram and a SSD

Me i have this one: 
    A517-51G-55G9. The only difference is that I paid to add an SSD. So i got 2 drive. It should not be the SSD since the beep did not start when I got the SSD. It started like one month ago and I bought my laptop this last summer.

If this is nit the power adapter or if we don't find the problem, I will use the warranty.

Anyway, i will check that when im back from work
  • JackE
    >>>It started like one month ago>>>
    This is an interesting new bit of info.  When you get home tonight, run winver and tell us what Win10 version and build no. is on there now. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Both models, a515-51 and a517-51, use the same power adapter! However there are two versions, one of 45w and another of 65w! If your wife's is 65w, you can use and test on your notebook! Enjoy and test your power adapter on your wife's model and see if the problem manifests itself!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Bobgraton200
    JackE said:
    >>>It started like one month ago>>>
    This is an interesting new bit of info.  When you get home tonight, run winver and tell us what Win10 version and build no. is on there now. Jack E/NJ
    I got the last version. 1809

• Bobgraton200
    Both models, a515-51 and a517-51, use the same power adapter! However there are two versions, one of 45w and another of 65w! If your wife's is 65w, you can use and test on your notebook! Enjoy and test your power adapter on your wife's model and see if the problem manifests itself!

I tried another charger, and it did not work :(  so it is not the power adapter.
    my power is a grounded outlet , i use a socket with 3 pins.

But I heard others beep that were slighty different... I'll try to recorde it. next time