Veriton M4630G bios update appears to have went wrong, didn't make backup, now update software keeps

jddancks
jddancks Member Posts: 7 New User
edited March 1 in 2018 Archives
I was attempting to add a GPT disk that dual boots windows and CentOS. I wanted to upgrade the BIOS because it appears the stock BIOS doesn't support UEFI and was reading the MBR partition to boot the drive, which was causing another issue. I booted into windows 10, downloaded the BIOS from here:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/4920?b=1&pn=DT.VHHAA.005

(I can't tell you which one I believe it was "BIOS - UEFI for Windows 8 (Not for upgrades)" I need to boot from another computer to check).

Since then the computer boots from the original disk just fine (came pre-installed with Windows 7)

But refuses to recognize the new disk or use a bootable USB as a boot option.

As the title suggests I tried booting into Windows 7 and attempting to recover by using the "BIOS" option dated 2014/01/14 but it refuses to recognize the system is compatible. I tried this from the Windows 7 32 and 64 bit option. I suspect its the exact same package but I didn't check.

my system is 64 bit.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited November 2018 Answer ✓
    OK! Then your desktop has the uefi mode! To enable uefi mode, create a password in the change supervisor supervisor, disable secureboot, disable launch csm and press f10 to save on exit! What is the operating system you want to install? I recommend windows 10 x64 because only this version works in uefi mode!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• Can you tell which version of bios was previously installed? Do you want to install a bios that has uefi mode? Did you know that when the bios ends with the letter "L", it usually refers to a bios to work with linux?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • jddancks
    Unfortunately I don't the version of the previous BIOS. Yes, I would like a BIOS that is UEFI capable. Why would linux need a custom BIOS? If one exists for my system I'll try it, provided it will also work with Windows
  • Desktop motherboards of the same model, can be of different revisions and models! As you probably downloaded a bios for motherboard revision other than the one you currently have installed, you may be causing these OS compatibility issues!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jddancks
    the product page doesn't specify any particular revision.

I also noticed on the product details page it lists the CPU as i7-4770 and my BIOS reports it as i7-4790k

Is there any way to search for different revisions of a product? There doesn't appear to be a way just from the product lookup page.
  • What is the partnumber of your model? Can you check the model of your motherboard by downloading the driverbooster?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jddancks
    edited November 2018
    I don't know what you mean by "part number"

It looks like you highlighted Manufacturer and model:

Acer Veriton M4630G, like in the title

from the BIOS:
    BIOS version: P21-B0
    system serial number: **********************
    Base board serial number: **********************
  • Have you reinstalled a new bios? Well you said that you had installed the p11.b0L version of 2014/01/14!
    This bios p21.b0 indicated by you should boot the pendrive with windows operating system! See if file helps:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jddancks
    I would have to assume that the BIOS is newly installed. I mentioned that I did install something but I wasn't sure what: either an upgrade, or a new BIOS. I assume an "upgrade" would have to rewrite the BIOS itself.

I don't understand what I'm supposed to get from your file. There is no UEFI boot from BIOS, which is part of what I was asking, also I can verify that windows was installed correctly using GPT partitioning, as I did it on another computer. I even used diskpart, like it mentioned. I noticed the screen shots of the BIOS look a lot different from mine.

The only thing I didn't do was set a supervisor password.
  • I'm seeing the service guide for this model, and in the part where it talks about bios, it shows this:

Does your bios version also show these options? Is there an option called secureboot?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jddancks
    Yes. Secure boot is disabled and "Launch CSM" is set to Always
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited November 2018 Answer ✓
    OK! Then your desktop has the uefi mode! To enable uefi mode, create a password in the change supervisor supervisor, disable secureboot, disable launch csm and press f10 to save on exit! What is the operating system you want to install? I recommend windows 10 x64 because only this version works in uefi mode!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jddancks
    Well, I tried it and you're right. It doesn't show its using UEFI from the BIOS, but it does from the boot menu. In fact it only allowed UEFI boot. Interesting. Maybe it was using it the entire time. I didn't want to install a new OS I just wanted to boot the new drive with Win 10 and CentOS preinstalled with UEFI, as legacy MBR boot was causing problems with CentOS. So I guess all my problems have been addressed.
  • Great! Glad your problem was solved! The uefi mode is also present on the bios screen, but is only enabled when launch csm is disabled! Lauch csm enables bios legacy mode! The bios legacy mode (csm) only works when hd is converted to mbr and uefi mode (csm disabled), only works with hd converted to gpt!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer