Touchpad on Swift 3 (SF314-52G) stops responding after using it for a while

Options
2»

Answers

• Brandon_Gui123
    Brandon_Gui123 Member Posts: 20 Networker
    Options
    Good to hear that. I guess it’s time I should just give this issue a rest. While this may present to me some inconvenience, I could just plug my mouse in and continue on. I don’t dare to probe my device’s settings any further, given the fact that I’ve sent it back to Acer for repair twice. First, because of blue screens and second, unbootable.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options
    Agreed. I stopped beating my head against the wall and gave up on them a long time ago. Worst than touchscreens. I found that humidity often affects operation in unpredictable ways. When they seem to stop functioning, I can sometimes bring them back to life by simply licking my fingers. Too unreliable. So a wireless mouse is the only way for me. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Brandon_Gui123
    edited November 2018
    Options
    That's a strange way to solve the issue, but then for me, even clicking doesn't work on it when it becomes stuck.

Well, when a touchpad is reliable and great to use, it becomes convenient (and surprisingly, nice) to use a laptop. But if it fails, good luck using TAB and trying to find the keyboard shortcuts that help you navigate around with Windows, unless you have a mouse.

Touchscreen laptops and tablets for the win!
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I would try as a last option, update the drivers of your notebook with the program called driverbooster! However it is recommended to enable system protection!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    Options
    @egydiocoelho >>>driverbooster! However it is recommended to enable system protection! >>>>

Good suggestion. Agreed on system protection but not just because of driverbooster, correct? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Yes @JackE! Since there are driver and windows updates that give problems, it is always necessary to leave the system protection active!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @Brandon_Gui123

I would recommend the following...........

1. Make sure you have the latest BIOS

2. Order your original factory recovery media from Acer

https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery

3.  Backup your important personal files to an external USB HDD

4.  Reset your PC to factory condition using the USB recovery drive that Acer sends you in the mail

5. If you still have problems after following those 4 steps above, then contact Acer.

You should be good to go if you follow those 4 steps above.  And then you just let Windows Update automatically update your computer.  

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Brandon_Gui123
    edited November 2018
    Options
    That sounds like a huge solution to a problem that can be mitigated using a mouse. Sorry, but I won't be trying that. I'd given up on this issue yesterday. I have learnt not to mess with PCs ever since I sent it to Acer for repair twice.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Please try to update the drivers with the driverbooster! It updates all notebook drivers, but we recommend enabling system protection before!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Brandon_Gui123
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Please try to update the drivers with the driverbooster! It updates all notebook drivers, but we recommend enabling system protection before!
    Enabling System Protection before because it has a chance of screwing things up? Well, I don't have time for a system restore if this thing screws something up. Also, will it automatically update all the drivers? I don't want that to happen. I'd very much like to restore a driver of my choice, on demand and not every few days or weeks.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    The program will give you the option to choose the driver to be downloaded! Activating system protection is only a precaution in case the program downloads the wrong driver! The program never downloaded the wrong driver in my clients' notebooks! However I always left active system protection!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I think it's worth upgrading the mouse driver for this program!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Brandon_Gui123
    Options
    Ok then, good to hear. I'll give it a shot and reply my results.
  • Brandon_Gui123
    Options
    Ok... so here's the result:

NOTHING HAS CHANGED.

A waste of my time. And with that said, I give up on this issue.
  • st0ra
    st0ra Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I soldered a 3'rd ground from mainboard ground screw to the touchpad ground (2 big plates) inside. Then it works perfectly.
    Over time (2year), the 2 plates "touching" the touchpad with some "leading foam" do not work perfectly.
    Model SF314-51. I used the same prosedure as some other acer laptops.
  • JackE
    Options
    Thanks for your report st0ra   Poor or failed grounds cause strange issues in a lot of electrical/electronics systems, not just computers.   :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Morbecknaga
    Morbecknaga Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi all,

I just purchased an Swift SF314-54 and I also seem to be having issues with the touchpad. It won't have any issues for a long stretch of time and then randomly the touchpad will stop working properly for a minute or so. The computer just went outside the 30 day return policy, so I'm hoping it isn't a hardware issue. Does anyone know if this might just be a software issue? I've taken laptops apart before, but I have no intention of taking this one apart, especially when it is still inside the 1 year warranty period.

I've tried uninstalling the touchpad through the device manager, but that doesn't seem to have made a difference (and strangely, even after "uninstalling" the touchpad, it continues to operate... Windows 10 drivers are strange). I've looked in the BIOS for the "basic/advanced" setting, but I did not see it. I am operating on the somewhat older Insyde Corp V1.07 BIOS, so maybe that is why the setting isn't visible. This computer is supposed to go to my mother and I want the touchpad working properly. 

At this point, I feel like my best best is to update the BIOS to Insyde Corp V1.09 and hope that the basic/advanced setting is there. That HAS solved the issue, correct? I don't care about advanced gestures, I just want the touchpad to work without it randomly stopping.

Any advice and/or help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Morbeck
  • JackE
    Options
    Morbecknaga
    Sorry, my guess is the touchpad flexible ribbon cable needs to be re-seated a few times on the mainboard to clean its contacts. And for me a
    firmware update isn't worth the risk of bricking the machine. So before arranging for warranty repair, I might try to disable fast boot by unchecking the fast startup box in Control Panel's power button settings, then uninstall the touchpad driver again from Device Manager without reinstalling anything. Then shut the machine down. Then start it back up and see if Windows can auto detect and correctly auto re-install the driver. If not, arrange for  warranty service pronto https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support   Have your machine's serial number id (SNID) ready.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Brandon_Gui123
    Options
    With that, I guess the only best solution here would be to bring it to Acer's repair centre.

Sigh... Just dumb luck that I picked this PC.