Usb-C to HDMI Aspire A515-51G

Tics
Tics Member Posts: 2 New User
edited October 2018 in Aspire Laptops
Hello!

We recently bought an Aspire A515-51G notebook and I would like to connect a monitor via notebook USB-C port --> HDMI monitor port, so I bought it :

https://www.hama.com/00135726/hama-usb-c-adapter-for-hdmi-ultra-hd

Unfortunately it doesn't work, I get this message in Win10 :

"Display connection might be limited"

As I read the Aspire A515-51G specs, the notebook has : USB Type-C port: USB 3.1 Gen 1 (up to 5 Gbps)

I found a similar question on ACER community and this was the answer  : 

"USB Type C port supporting USB 3.1 Gen 1, which does not support video capabilities."

Is it true?

With my Aspire A515-51G I will not be able to use monitor via USB-C notebook port?
Or do I have to buy another cable / adapter?

Thanks for the answers!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    edited October 2018
    It's true. The C-3.1 Gen 1 USB port is like a regular A-3.0 USB port except for the shape of the port. You can however use the HDMI port with whatever kind of input port the monitor requires with the right adapter. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Tics
    Tics Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks for the answer.
  • Jimmybilt1
    Jimmybilt1 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm looking at the specs for the A515-51G-84SN on the Acer site and it states that the USB C port is Thunderbolt 3, so it should support a dock or port replicator. Are there different generations of this model? Specifically, I'm interested in the same model from Costco, but don't see Thunderbolt 3 listed for the USB C port https://www.costco.com/Acer-Aspire-5-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---GeForce-MX150---1080p.product.100454277.html
  • JackE
    Which ACER site lists a thunderbolt port for this model? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• alrigo
    alrigo Member Posts: 2 New User
     My Aspire A515-51G has a USB port type C. I would like to use it to connect to an external HD storage. But that does not work and even the power led stays off. Is someone successfully using this port? Should I install any special drivers? Could someone please give me a direction?
  • JackE
    alrigoWhat brand/model cable adapter & HDD are you trying to use? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• alrigo
    alrigo Member Posts: 2 New User
     Hi JackE, thanks for your quick answer.

Unfortunately, I do not own the brands of the two cables I purchased. They were imported by a distributor who did not provide the source. I have only specifications printed on the packages:

----------------------------
    Cable nº 1 - Specifications

USB Type C male to USB 2.0 type male.
    What makes you connect the removal device with the type C interface to a PC or laptop, HD-DVD,
    Printer, mobile hard drive, Blu-ray and similar devices
    Code: M-1344

Cable nº 2 - Specifications

USB Type C to USB Cable 2m Data Line

The 2 Meter Type C USB Cable enables cellphones and notebooks to be charged at higher power, which means the battery will reach 100% faster. The Type C USB cable has the same dimensions on the sides allowing the attachment from either side. It was developed to last much longer than conventional cables. The standard USB type C offers high transfer rate and is already compatible with some smartphones like: Xiaomi 4G, Zenfone 3, Nexus 6P 5x, Lumia 950 950XL and also for some models of notebooks and macbooks with USB-C input.

Technical specifications:

Compatibility:
      Galaxy S8 - Samsung VR Gear Glasses
      OnePlus Two 2 A2001
      Apple For Macbook 11.6 / 13.3 Inch
      Nokia N1 tablet
      Google Pixel C
      Chromebook 2015
      LG Google Nexus 5X
      Huawei Google Nexus 6 P
      Xiaomi 4C
      Xiaomi 5 Mi5
      Lenovo ZUK Z1
      Letv Phone
      Microsoft Lumia 950/950 XL
      LG G5
      Huawei P9 / P9 Plus
      HTC M10
      Meizu Pro 5 / MX5 Pro 5.7 "inch
    Among other USB Type C devices

The USB Type-c Cable is not compatible with devices that have Micro USB (V8) input, works only on devices with USB-C

Size:       2 meters
    Connection: USB
    Input:      Symmetrical (USB-C Tip Fits Both Sides)
    Code:       M-1155
    I understood that brand/model is relevant so, please, could you indicate some eligible candidate.

You ask me about storage units: they are made up of cases with HDs and power supplies that operate normally, when connected to the Aspire 5 notebook via Standard-A USB-USB cables.
  • JackE
    alrigo These cables seem to be hobbling the USBC port, especially the first one. You should should use the USB3 (blue port) for with a standard type A USB-to-SATA adapter for the HDD. The USB3 port has the same transfer speeds as the typeC port but uses a more common HDD adatper. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dmitrii
    dmitrii Member Posts: 3 New User
    Which hiccups can I use the TYPE-C port on my laptop A517-51G???
  • dmitrii
    Does anyone use this port in a laptop? And by what purpose?
  • JackE

The a517-51G USB C-port has similar capabilities as the USB 3A-port. It is simply another different USB physical form factor. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dmitrii
    JackE said:

The a517-51G USB C-port has similar capabilities as the USB 3A-port. It is simply another different USB physical form factor. Jack E/NJ
    thank you
  • caliperparrot
    caliperparrot Member Posts: 2 New User
    Tics said:
    Thanks for the answer.

@Tics did you find a way to solve the problem? I am in the same situation right now!

• JackE

This thread is more than 3  years. It's best to start your own new thread by clicking on the ask a question button.

Jack E/NJ