What kind of NVMe card I can get? (G3-710)

Options
javierdl
javierdl Member Posts: 33 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited February 15 in 2018 Archives
And, could I also install an Optane memory card?

Thanks

Best Answers

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,117 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi,
    You can use a NVMe SSD in this model but as I couldn't find any information about Intel Optane, I doubt it would work.
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Predator-G3-710/21107
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    According to Intel:  Intel® Optane™ Memory Supported ‡ No

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • javierdl
    Options
    Thank you guys, that was great!
    Now I can move forward! :)
  • javierdl
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Actually, on this same regard...
    I had been advised to favour using the small PCIe slots below the larger graphics card slot to plug an adapter (where to put the actual NVMe card). As opposed to using the M2 slot (also below the GPU slot). I was told I would get better performance when using the PCIe slots. What do you guys think about this?
    And, lastly, I am finally catching up on the difference between NVMe mem cards and Intel Optane mem. I was hoping NVMe could replace the latter when the latter was not possible. But after doing some reading apparently this is not possible. Then the only purpose one would have for NVMe would be for storage, is this right?
  • javierdl
    Options
    I had been advised to favour using the small PCIe slots below the larger graphics card slot to plug an adapter. As opposed to using the M2 slot (also below the GPU slot). I was told I would get better performance when using the PCIe slots. What do you guys think about this?

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,117 Trailblazer
    edited October 2018
    Options
    javierdl said:
    I had been advised to favour using the small PCIe slots below the larger graphics card slot to plug an adapter (where to put the actual NVMe card). As opposed to using the M2 slot (also below the GPU slot). I was told I would get better performance when using the PCIe slots. What do you guys think about this?
    And, lastly, I am finally catching up on the difference between NVMe mem cards and Intel Optane mem. I was hoping NVMe could replace the latter when the latter was not possible. But after doing some reading apparently this is not possible. Then the only purpose one would have for NVMe would be for storage, is this right?
    Hi,
    No, you can use NVMe SSD as a boot drive because using a NVMe SSD for storage is pointless, I haven't used the PCIe slot, so you have to wait for someone else to chime in.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options
    Almost all PCIexpress cards don't support booting, so going that route is really only useful for extra storage. If you're not using an application that really requires fast data access (like editing video in real time) the extra storage that PCIe gives you would just easily be a big spinning disk.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.