Aspire 5738z upgraded to windows 10 it does not recognize disc when inserted in drive

Options
farelf5961
farelf5961 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2022 in Windows 10
dvd/cd, shown as working and drivers shown as latest and good in device manager, but does not recognise disc when inserted in drive.

[Edited the thread to add title issue detail]

Best Answer

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    dvd/cd, shown as working and drivers shown as latest and good in device manager, but does not recognise disc when inserted in drive.
    check if the CD/DVD icon being displayed under THIS PC. If "Yes" then uninstall the CD/DVD drivers and restart the device ( do not delete the driver software ).

If "No" then you might have to make some tweaks in registry. Make sure you follow extra precautions before making any changes here. Also, do backup your registry as backup if something goes wrong.

1. Click Start windows icon, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

Notice icon
       If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
      Alert iconWarning There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before you change the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class value is CDROM.
    3. If you see UpperFilters in the pane on the right side, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
    4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
    5. If you see LowerFilters in the pane on the right side, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
    6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
    7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    check if the CD/DVD icon being displayed under THIS PC. If "Yes" then uninstall the CD/DVD drivers and restart the device ( do not delete the driver software ).

If "No" then you might have to make some tweaks in registry. Make sure you follow extra precautions before making any changes here. Also, do backup your registry as backup if something goes wrong.

1. Click Start windows icon, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

Notice icon
       If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
      Alert iconWarning There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before you change the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class value is CDROM.
    3. If you see UpperFilters in the pane on the right side, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
    4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
    5. If you see LowerFilters in the pane on the right side, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
    6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
    7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • farelf5961
    farelf5961 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I have tried these methods but i think i may have deleted the driver software in error.
    Any other ideas?
    thanks
  • GomerF
    GomerF Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

I have the same problem with DVD not showing. I don't see anything to do with filters. Here is a screen shot of the registry. Suggestions, please.

• Samuel-Acer
    Samuel-Acer Moderator Posts: 687 Moderator
    Options

Hi GomerF,

Requesting you to share the complete model name of the unit with issue detail.

If possible, please create a new thread that way it can get addressed easily.

Regards,

Acer-Samuel

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

@farelf5961 yes, this thread is several years old, so you will get a lot fewer users looking at it. Use the Ask a Question button to start a new thread and include your full model number (this one was for the 5738Z model) which is usually shown on the same sticker as your serial number. Describe your issue and what you have tried so far. The original poster here marked the wrong post as a solution and then never came back once they said it didn't work...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.