Acer W3-810

jay989
jay989 Member Posts: 8 New User
edited March 4 in 2018 Archives
Acer W3-810 will NOT stay on, i can log in then shuts down.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    The setting for how low the battery can get before shutdown might be corrupted. You should be able to boot into safe mode and adjust that to get back to normal. It's also possible the battery has failed, not holding enough of a charge to keep it running. It's also possible the charger has failed and the battery is low enough to trigger those symptoms. You'll have to do some diagnosing to figure out which it is...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jay989
    No, it does the same thing if I boot in safe mode, the tablet will stay on no problems in the bios information when you do a hard restart, but wont self repair and as soon as windows starts up I have just enough time to type in pass word before it shuts down 
  • billsey
    So that tells me it's more likely an issue with the battery than the configuration. Safe mode would bring you up with default settings for the power options. Do you have access to another charger, so you can verify the battery is getting charged?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jay989
    no I don't
  • billsey
    The power supply is a 12V 1.5A (18W) supply with the smaller barrel connector. You can try most all of the 12V supplies with the right connector, a lower amperage supply will just charge slowly, a high amperage supply will either charge faster or the same, depending on the power input design Acer went with. There's also a reset hole at the top of the tablet which may reset the battery to defaults in case that's the issue. The W3-810 is an old enough model that you may just be running into the end of your battery life, which would mean a replacement is in order. Finally the power input jack is soldered onto a separate little card that's the cabled to the motherboard. If there's a problem with that cable the battery wouldn't charge.
  • jay989
    did try another charger, tried the reset, I can get into protect mode it will stay on but as soon as window boots up and I type pass word in it shuts down 
  • jay989
    Can I Update the bios with out going through windows it is running 1.02 where the updated is 1.07
  • billsey
    OK, so you've shown that the problem is Windows, not the hardware. That's a big step. :) Next step is liable to be booting on a Windows install image via USB. IIRC you'll need an OTG cable to plug the thumb drive in. You can download the Windows image from Microsoft, make sure you get the same 32bit Home version as you are running. Once you've booted with the install image go to the Repair your computer mode and bring up the command prompt. Verify that you are still not seeing the issue and then use SFC and DISM to repair the installation. If that doesn't work come back and we'll get deeper into it...
    sfc /scannow<br><br>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth<br>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth<br>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth<br>

• jay989
    now I can't get windows to boot up it gets stuck on preparing the automatic repair mode  
  • billsey
    That's why you boot from the Windows install image, it bypasses the automatic repair mode created by disk problems.
  • jay989
    I must have a setting wrong I set a boot usb and have it plugged in but windows is still trying to boot up in automatic repair
  • jay989
    I have tried to boot it up with the battery disconnected with boot usb and still go's to repair mode. I also have it set to boot from USB HDD first
    and still no luck. I am really disappointed in ACER products
  • billsey
    Are you using the right version of Windows? It should be the 32 bit version...