Helios 500 mobile hotspot not working with latest drives - older drives solution?

Uel_M
Uel_M Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi there :) I'm new to the Predator club and just got a Helios 500. What a beauty!
My wireless card: Killer(R) Wireless-AC 1550i Wireless Network Adapter (9560NGW) - driver version: 20.30.1.2

I'm trying to start a mobile hotspot from my Predator but it's not working. I know from past hotspot experience that some wireless drivers don't support it and so I'd always have to downgrade that driver until it worked (Windows 8 drivers had to be installed on my previous laptop). I know that if you use CMD (administrater) and type netsh wlan show drivers and if Hosted Network shows "yes", then hotspots will work. If so, then type netsh wlan start hostednetwork and it starts the hotspot functionality.

Unfortunately mine says no so mobile hotspots aren't working :( Does anyone know of working drivers for the Helios 500 that can host hotspots? 

Many thanks.

Best Answer

• Uel_M
    Answer ✓
    So what works on Windows 10 is its built-in Mobile Hotspot in Settings. Its not as great as other mobile hotspot software out there as far as functionality but it gets the job done.

So either use the Windows built-in option or downgrade the Wireless driver to a Windows 8 version.

Answers

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Have you tried the drivers from Acer's website for your model?

Acer has a custom mobo so using all of Acer's driver (all of them) makes things run smoother.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Uel_M
    Thanks for the reply :) Yes I tried the latest driver from Acer for my model. 

It seems that the latest (Windows 10) Killer drivers are the problem where Windows 8 drivers did allow Hosted Network. https://www.killernetworking.com/killersupport/driver-downloads/kb/faq/39-ad-hoc-hotspot-killer-network-adapter-windows-10

But their driver package download doesn't have a Windows 8 driver for my card Wireless-AC 1550 :(

Any other suggestions? Appreciate your input.
  • Uel_M
    Answer ✓
    So what works on Windows 10 is its built-in Mobile Hotspot in Settings. Its not as great as other mobile hotspot software out there as far as functionality but it gets the job done.

So either use the Windows built-in option or downgrade the Wireless driver to a Windows 8 version.