XB271HU 144hz refresh rate issue!

Options
2»

Answers

• Nokturnal
    Nokturnal Member Posts: 37 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    it happened on both my xb270hu and xb271hu. ive also ran into a ton of people whos monitor developed this issue. just like me the monitor was fine for about a year and then it just came out of nowhere. 
  • Nokturnal
    Options
    never happened on my tn acer that is way older than both my predators and is still running no issues to this day. 
  • Ownsin
    Ownsin Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Nokturnal said:
    it happened on both my xb270hu and xb271hu. ive also ran into a ton of people whos monitor developed this issue. just like me the monitor was fine for about a year and then it just came out of nowhere. 
    So are you telling me It's only a matter of time for my monitor to develop this issue?
  • Nokturnal
    Options
    I cant say for certain. I just know that it happened on both of mine. 
    heres a link to another thread where a guy with the pg279q (same panel but asus) developed the line.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?100919-PG279Q-Backlight-issues&p=750449#post750449
  • Ownsin
    Options
    Nokturnal said:
    I cant say for certain. I just know that it happened on both of mine. 
    heres a link to another thread where a guy with the pg279q (same panel but asus) developed the line.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?100919-PG279Q-Backlight-issues&p=750449#post750449
    That definitely sucks.
  • Nokturnal
    Options
    Yes its a shame because its an awesome monitor and the defect is distracting. apparently the yogore defect is from prolonged usage. so if you ever step out the room your pc is in for a little while just shut the monitor off. 
  • Ownsin
    Options
    Nokturnal said:
    Yes its a shame because its an awesome monitor and the defect is distracting. apparently the yogore defect is from prolonged usage. so if you ever step out the room your pc is in for a little while just shut the monitor off. 
    That's actually what I always do. I always turn it off when I leave. It also turns off after 10 mins of no use by the PC.
  • fluidz
    fluidz Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Hi, i know this is an old thread, sorry to dig it up, but its the only one I could find that relates to the issue im facing.

Similar to you guys, even though my xb271hu is set to 144hz in windows, my monitors refresh rate is actually slightly below 144hz, but only when Gsync is enabled (fullscreen or fullscreen + windowed).  When I disable Gsync, the refresh rate is read as 139.999hz.  

Here is an example when setting my screen to 120hz, notice when Gsync is enabled, the refresh rate is 119.84hz.

Gsync disabled : Refresh rate is now 120.00hz

I noticed two things :

1 - When Gsync is enabled on this monitor, using Edge web browser (chromium edge), playing a 60fps video, the video will drop 1 frame approx every 1000 frames.  You can test this out using this video : Disabling Gsync, no frames are dropped whilst playing the video.  I wonder if this is because the refresh rate is lower when Gsync is enabled, too low perhaps?

2 - When I boot the pc, if the xb271hu is connected via Displayport (this does not affect hdmi) the screen will flicker for a second when it reaches the logon screen.  If I use CRU (custom resolution utility), click extension blocks, edit the original 144hz refresh rate entry (which is actually 143.84hz), change it to 144.184hz, and save it (not touching anything else).  Checking the refresh rate again at Vsynctester, it now says the refresh rate is 139.999hz!   After editing the refresh rate in CRU, When I reboot the pc, the screen no longer flickers when logging in.  Just something to bear in mind.

Please let me know if you can reproduce the dropped frames in Edge, and also are you seeing the screen flicker once when logging into windows?  Cheers.

• fluidz
    fluidz Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Oops, i missed out the 60fps video link i mentioned in the post above.  Here you go :

Here are the CRU settings I used to increase the screen refresh rate from 143.814hz to 143.999hz (Refresh rate reported by Vsynctester/Ufo refresh rate online test when Gsync is enabled).  You may need to edit the decimal point ever so slightly (for example, edit .184 slightly higher or lower) so it adjusts to your own screen to achieve 143.999hz :